Sign in to follow this  
wrestling mom

Elementary State Tournament

Our elementary president, Jim Matney, has asked me and another poster to post the following statement:

In the spirit of the sport, Coach Matney does not believe it is morally or ethically right to argue about and/or split the elementary school state tournament.  Johnson Central will not host the 2007 state tournament, but will instead host the 2008 tournament.  Coach Matney is endorsing the March 3rd Connor state tournament.  All teams that had committed to the  JC tournament are encouraged to participate at Connor.    Next year, a compromise will try to worked out for both those who find March 3rd too early and also those who feel March 24th is a little late.  Also, Coach Matney would like to, if possible, set the 2009 tournament at Fern Creek in Louisville and the 2010 tournament at Larue County.

Our elementary president, Jim Matney, has asked me and another poster to post the following statement:

In the spirit of the sport, Coach Matney does not believe it is morally or ethically right to argue about and/or split the elementary school state tournament.  Johnson Central will not host the 2007 state tournament, but will instead host the 2008 tournament.  Coach Matney is endorsing the March 3rd Connor state tournament.  All teams that had committed to the  JC tournament are encouraged to participate at Connor.    Next year, a compromise will try to worked out for both those who find March 3rd too early and also those who feel March 24th is a little late.  Also, Coach Matney would like to, if possible, set the 2009 tournament at Fern Creek in Louisville and the 2010 tournament at Larue County.

I hope that he will be at the meeting on 3/2/07 so that we can come together and make these types of plans.  The types of things that he is suggesting need to be done as a group-not as an individual, although I respect his input.  Every team should have a voice.

Thanks Coach Matney for doing your part to bring everyone together on this issue.  I hope everyone can make it (or send a representative) to the meeting on March 2nd and we can move forward in a united effort.

There are also quite a few that don't start until after Christmas. 

By allowing the elementary to continue after the high school is finished it allows for more focus on the elementary kids.  Many schools have to divide the coaches time between high school/middle school/and elementary and the youngens usually get left out.

There are also quite a few that don't start until after Christmas. 

By allowing the elementary to continue after the high school is finished it allows for more focus on the elementary kids.  Many schools have to divide the coaches time between high school/middle school/and elementary and the youngens usually get left out.

The timing is tough.  I know there are a lot of programs that have resource issues so the little ones start late.  We are actually blessed with plenty of quality coaches so our youth program started in November.  But that makes the season really long for us.  I don't know if that problem will get solved any time soon.  Programs like ours want to see the elementary state in January while others (who start late) probably want April.

For what it's worth.  The head coaches in our area have done a great job of recruiting x-wrestlers from our area to coach the youth programs.  They are typically Dads of youth wrestlers who want to see the sport grow.  They are also strictly volunteers.  Their are plenty of volunteers out there, the head coaches have to make an effort to find them.

This allows us to run our Youth program during wrestling season (nov-feb).  I don't think running into March in this area is viable because of baseball and soccer.  Wrestling season is Nov-Feb and I think if we don't run it at that time we will lose the battle of kids to baseball and soccer.

My feelings wouldn't be hurt if they moved HS and MS nationwide until after xmas break.  Kids wouldn't have to worry about cutting during the holidays, and the football season wouldn't interfere. I know it has been brought up on many occasions with the KHSAA but you see where it is.

For what it's worth.  The head coaches in our area have done a great job of recruiting x-wrestlers from our area to coach the youth programs.  They are typically Dads of youth wrestlers who want to see the sport grow.  They are also strictly volunteers.  Their are plenty of volunteers out there, the head coaches have to make an effort to find them.

This allows us to run our Youth program during wrestling season (nov-feb).  I don't think running into March in this area is viable because of baseball and soccer.  Wrestling season is Nov-Feb and I think if we don't run it at that time we will lose the battle of kids to baseball and soccer.

I sure wish this statement was true.  But unfortunately it is not.  I have a hard enough time finding an assistant coach, (who I can pay) let alone a middle school or elementary coach. 

1.  Our coaches must be qualified (30 something collage hours) to coach

2.  I don't have any alumni that have children wrestling.  (we have no second generation wrestlers)

I have a teacher that use to be my assistant run a grade school program starting in April.  He practices 2 days a week and the school pays for thier USA cards and they attend a local tournament or two.

I tried to do this during the wrestling season but could not find a practice site right after school. 

I'm hoping next year I can start in January and share a place to practice with the cheerleaders. (That will still give us 2-3 months of practice for the elementary state tourney if it is still held in March)

So even though many or most of the schools have tons of volunteers we don't and I am using the fact that the state tourney is in March to help my case of starting late and getting a practice site.