Sign in to follow this  
overweight

Unranked and Kids Ranked Low That Placed

John Thomas (Central's 140) really surprised me by making it to the finals.  He definitely peaked out at state.  I also have to say that Ben Winkler was a huge shocker.  He was ranked 25th and beat both Chad Scott and Ben Case to get 7th place. It's not like he got lucky pins on them, he beat them both by points.  I was very impressed!

I just saw why the evans lost to sullivan he let the leg slip out on the side of the guillotine

its called a guillotine switch,Travis had it locked in and hit it to win the title, but your probrably right the three time State Champs leg just slipped and he got lucky. :lol:

its called a guillotine switch,Travis had it locked in and hit it to win the title, but your probrably right the three time State Champs leg just slipped and he got lucky. :lol:

No one said anything about luck.  I think most of us would agree that Evans went for the pin rather than riding it out.  And as he was trying to squeeze the most out of the guillotine he lost control of the leg.  If he had been pinned on the reversal I think some could argue that he had some luck to catch Evans on his back.  But when Evans bellied out and Sullivan forced him over with the wing (and I mean forced) he won the title.

Here is my list of kids that really stepped it up.  I won't call it a surprise, because I'm sure if you asked their coach they all had it in them.

Shawn Johnson - very bright future ahead for him and the team

DC Evans - not a big shock, but I think there were a lot of doubters; not anymore

Terence Demery - not a surprise in the finish, but he really came out of nowhere this season; another very bright future

none

Paul Marks - shocked a lot of people by beating Lewis and kept it up all weekend

Darwin Perez - really stepped it up to another level the last 2 weeks

Johnivon Oggs - seemed to slump mid-season

Luke Ervin - got better and better as the season progressed

Ben Winkler - biggest surprise of the meet

Jamie Pile - young guy, could be Nelson's first real shot at a state title?

none

Dakota Choate - not surprised by the finish, but impressed by the way he handled the spotlight.

Jaron Singley - expected to be close to a medal, but really showed some heart to get to the finals

Matt Bergamini - second biggest surprise of the tournament

Will Hogben - young guy should only get better wrestling with Reid next season

Jacob Bradford - same as Hogben

none

Ranger,

Nickel wasn't a surprise to you?  I think you had him picked to finish sixth, the same as you had Perez. 

Yes, but Nickel had shown he could compete with anyone at 215.  I just wasn't sure he would handle the pressure of the state tournament, but he handled it like he had been under the lights before.  Perez on the other hand seemed to me to be one step behind the top 4 or 5 at 130.

I think the Bear also used to say he liked to take great players and make them feel ordinary,, in the same sentence,,,,,,,,,

Ben Winkler was the biggest surprise by the people, not by me, he was underrated all year!

Yes, but Nickel had shown he could compete with anyone at 215.  I just wasn't sure he would handle the pressure of the state tournament, but he handled it like he had been under the lights before.  Perez on the other hand seemed to me to be one step behind the top 4 or 5 at 130.

Derek Nickel lives to compete under the bright lights.

I think the Bear also used to say he liked to take great players and make them feel ordinary,, in the same sentence,,,,,,,,,

Ben Winkler was the biggest surprise by the people, not by me, he was underrated all year!

I was sitting with SK most of the time and I can tell you one thing, Ben Winkler is one of the most humble, modest, appreciative kids i've seen step on the mat. Especially one that could be considered one of the "higher level" wrestlers. He just couldn't wipe that smile off his face after his match with Case. From what he said, I understand that he was and alternate the previous 2 years? What an accomplishment. Good job Ben!

Go Ben Winkler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who gave the only thumbs-up in the place photos?

Yea he sure is a goofy little ginger. lol. You know i'm just jokin' Ben. I would never call you by your doragatory spice name unless I thought you could handle it. :-D