Who will be your 130 state champ  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be your 130 state champ

• Matt Eck
    • Isaac Ervin
    • Korey Shotwell
    • Dusty Brown
    • Darwin Perez

One of the most exciting 130 matches I saw was the Shotwell vs Speck match. In overtime Speck took Shotwell down right when it seemed Shotwell was going to score.

i agree that was a very entertaining match.  im glad speck medaled to end his career, and shotwell has a bright future ahead of him.  very good match by both wrestlers

Eck is a great kid. I know him personally, and he understands that actions speak louder than words. He wanted to be remembered for his body of work, and not just words. Througout the year he never let the rankings define him as a wrestler, nor as an individual. I also know that he has much respect for Speck, because he offered so many problems in their matches. He prepared for Ervin by studying Speck, because of similar body styles. No matter what, at the end of the day the 130 class this year was loaded with talent, and was about a 5 man race. Lets not taint the success of all the young men who put in the time and effort by he said/ she said things. Congratulations to all you guys for a great year.

My impression of the championship match was a little different than any of the other posts - after I was told that Eck was bragging that he had taken less than 20 shots in his previous matches, I was cheering for Perez. By the end I was just rooting for the match to be over - what a snoozer. I realize when wrestlers are evenly matched the action decreases, but I can only watch guys going in circles so long before I get dizzy. That would have ben a good match to call stalling....

A snoozer, eh? That match was better than the match they had for the region championship. Neither of those kids deserved to lose Saturday.

Both of them are class acts. Perez and Eck are two of the best kids I know, and it's been a pleasure getting to work with them this season.

As for Matt "bragging," I'm calling BS on that one. Matt is one of the most humble kids I've ever met in my life. If he loses, he owns up to it (much like he did when I interviewed him after the match Saturday night). If he wins, he does it with class. Same goes for Darwin.

Darwin and Matt are really close friends. Maybe it's just me, but that angle made both matches (state and region championship) more interesting. The interviews/chats I had with both of them after those two matches were two of the best interviews I've ever had.

the 130 finals match was boring, not because of the match, but because of the amount of time spent cleaning people up. it was actually one of the better matches, but you just didnt realize it because of all the pauses.

the 130 finals match was boring, not because of the match, but because of the amount of time spent cleaning people up. it was actually one of the better matches, but you just didnt realize it because of all the pauses.

That was just the physicality of it all. Both of them knew coming in how physical the match would be. I just didn't expect the action to stop four different times.

yea, that match went for a longggg time, but their injuries weren't your basic nosebleed/bloodymouth (which each wrestler had both).  They also had Major gashes, hats off to the ?cut girls? :-)  I got to see both wrestlers wounds under bright lights, Wow. Based on what i know of both guys neither would have stopped the match.  They would have wrestled the full 6 dripping blood from their heads, neither backing down.  If these 2 are friends, imagine how they would wrestle someone they didn't like lol.

I think their competitive spirit did the sport well.

Agree with Mr. Josh on the rumor bs

I agree, I saw him hold Perez's hand up after the match.  That was refreshing to see.

the ref held perez's hand up and then perez grabbed ecks and raised ecks hand up to the crowd!!!

i thought it was admirable they both continued, though obviously hurt quite badly.

it was a very even match and i felt it was going to be decided more by who was in control at the last second - because control kept changing throughout periods.

both wrestlers did well, in my opinion.

I agree they both fought through pain... it was kinda funny when they both got there head taped :-D

but idk bout anyone else but i was very impressed by Matt Eck and how great his sportmanship was it was only his second loss of the season, he took it very well he is a class act.

if the ref would have been a little better at his job eck probaly wouldnt have made the championship match the grimm kid from johnson central scored 7 points on seeders that the ref said was out of bounds. then in the 3rd period hit grimm with a stalling call with 20sec left and you could plainly see him working in a power half on a senior laying still on the mat. grimm lost in ot but should have won in 1st period when he caught seeders in a whip. just a freshman placed 5th and has matney for a coach he will be a threat in what ever weight class he is in next year. possible 3 timer

if the ref would have been a little better at his job eck probaly wouldnt have made the championship match the grimm kid from johnson central scored 7 points on seeders that the ref said was out of bounds. then in the 3rd period hit grimm with a stalling call with 20sec left and you could plainly see him working in a power half on a senior laying still on the mat. grimm lost in ot but should have won in 1st period when he caught seeders in a whip. just a freshman placed 5th and has matney for a coach he will be a threat in what ever weight class he is in next year. possible 3 timer

You sure do talk about Grimm alot, and seem to make a lot of excuses for him

Ifs and buts......