Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Middle School State

20 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Who all is going? 32 man brackets over 2 days. What a concept. 

I believe only the 12U and 14U are over 2 days. MS state in it's entirety is session one.

9 hours ago, HJ7 said:

I believe only the 12U and 14U are over 2 days. MS state in it's entirety is session one.

Correct. Technically, it’s 20 man brackets (4 wrestlers from 5 regions). I’m not 100% sure all those brackets will be full...Region 5 was way down in numbers and is typically one of the larger regions (NKY). The “youth” state for the middle school age kids starts directly after MS State is finished on Saturday and wraps up on Sunday. USA wrestling doesn’t have a 5 match rule, and only requires 15 minutes between matches. 

57 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Correct. Technically, it’s 20 man brackets (4 wrestlers from 5 regions). I’m not 100% sure all those brackets will be full...Region 5 was way down in numbers and is typically one of the larger regions (NKY). The “youth” state for the middle school age kids starts directly after MS State is finished on Saturday and wraps up on Sunday. USA wrestling doesn’t have a 5 match rule, and only requires 15 minutes between matches. 

Do they fill those empty slots with 5th place finishers from other regions or leave them empty?

5 minutes ago, VisionQuest said:

Do they fill those empty slots with 5th place finishers from other regions or leave them empty?

If they do, there will be a lot of kids that make it in. Region 3 has 15 spots to fill. Two weight classes only had 1 kid in it. 
image.png.655f539024b7b05f83d2880ba55ffc0e.png

11 minutes ago, VisionQuest said:

I'm pretty sure they will try to fill. But there may be some cases where they may not even have enough alternates to fill. In hindsight, they could have gone back to 4 regions this year, and a 16 man bracket instead of 5 regions and a 20. Competition wise, there are going to be quite a few kids at state that will be there simply because they weighed in at region. 

28 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I'm pretty sure they will try to fill. But there may be some cases where they may not even have enough alternates to fill. In hindsight, they could have gone back to 4 regions this year, and a 16 man bracket instead of 5 regions and a 20. Competition wise, there are going to be quite a few kids at state that will be there simply because they weighed in at region. 

Middle School Region 3 had 12/15 weight classes where everyone who weighed in made state.

1 hour ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Middle School Region 3 had 12/15 weight classes where everyone who weighed in made state.

Wow, Region 4 had 16 man brackets in 11 of the 15 weight classes. Adding a 5th region without removing some teams from region 4 didn’t help balancing the regions. 2 years in a row, they have had over 175 wrestlers.

4 hours ago, VisionQuest said:

Wow, Region 4 had 16 man brackets in 11 of the 15 weight classes. Adding a 5th region without removing some teams from region 4 didn’t help balancing the regions. 2 years in a row, they have had over 175 wrestlers.

Covid year has the balance way off. Last year's region participation compared to this year's is an anomaly as many teams did not participate this year for various reasons.

Region 1: 2021= 85. 2020 = 154

Region 2: 2021= 98. 2020 = 182

Region 3: 2021= 53. 2020 = 170

Region 4: 2021= 162. 2020 = 170 East KY teams increased participation from 69 in 2020 to 78 in 2021.

Region 5: 2021= 96. 2020 = 96

5 hours ago, 44 dad said:

Region 5 posted 144 Participants in 2020, but yes the numbers are definitely down this year because of Covid

Correct. 144 in 2020 for region 5.