Sign in to follow this  
REscalera

First day who would've thunk it

Holy cow!  Still trying to wrap my head around the thought that Storck or Mattingly will not be on the podium tomorrow night as they both face off in the wrestle backs tomorrow. 

Lots of dark horses.  Of all the weight classes, Ranger Report predicted the top 8 in only 2 weight classes (145 & 160).

Kudos to Diehl (W. Jessamine's 170).  Ranked 21 and will make the podium - impressive!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, REscalera said:

Is Peace hurt?  Something has to be up with him.  Not to take away from what his opponents have done but whoa!!! 

No he’s not hurt. He just didn’t have the best tournament this year. He’s a great kid and wrestler and just was off. You won’t find him, his Dad or Coach Roth make any excuses. That kid will be back next year in contention for a State championship!! My hats off to a kid that year in and out is on top, coming up and saying he just didn’t wrestle good. Nothing but respect for Isham! Now time to go fishing buddy!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

He looked smaller than a 106. 

Peace, Kinley and Thomas didn’t break a 100 all year. Their not your typical 106-108 wrestlers cutting from a heavier weight. Hats off to them for wrestling kids naturally just bigger. 106 was full of some great talent this year. 

12 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

#2 106 pounder not placing. #1 182 pounder not placing. Bad tournament for Walton Verona, or were they just ranked too high? 

We can discuss it, but it was pretty simple to me. Make your argument for a much lower ranking for those guys. 

Honestly, I think we have seen tremendous improvement in the depth and preparation of our kids in KY. As a result our state tournament was as good as I have seen it and kids who were not on their A game took losses. 

32 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

We can discuss it, but it was pretty simple to me. Make your argument for a much lower ranking for those guys. 

Honestly, I think we have seen tremendous improvement in the depth and preparation of our kids in KY. As a result our state tournament was as good as I have seen it and kids who were not on their A game took losses. 

It would be easy to make an argument if it were only WV wrestlers that were ranked and didn't place.  But it happened all over the place.  To think the #2 & #4 at 120 didn't place either. Wow!  I think you hit the nail on the head.  Our depth is a breath of fresh air.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, REscalera said:

It would be easy to make an argument if it were only WV wrestlers that were ranked and didn't place.  But it happened all over the place.  To think the #2 & #4 at 120 didn't place either. Wow!  I think you hit the nail on the head.  Our depth is a breath of fresh air.  

It would be easy to argue, we see plenty of that, but not necessarily a valid argument. 

Mulcahy had a rough draw. For a #1 guy, still tough who he had to face. Leavell in the quarters and I think it was Santiago in the wrestlebacks. 

Now 120 was just a gauntlet. The Simon Kenton kid threw a wrench with the pin over Mattingly early on. 

7 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

It would be easy to argue, we see plenty of that, but not necessarily a valid argument. 

That's why I said "if". Not sure if you misunderstood what I said and thought that I was joining in on the complain train because I wasn't.  That's why  I qualified my statement by pointing out that other highly ranked kids didn't do well either so it wouldn't be easy to argue. 

1 hour ago, REscalera said:

That's why I said "if". Not sure if you misunderstood what I said and thought that I was joining in on the complain train because I wasn't.  That's why  I qualified my statement by pointing out that other highly ranked kids didn't do well either so it wouldn't be easy to argue. 

No I got it. I was just saying if it was only those 2 you still can’t make a valid argument for a significant change in their ranking. Trust me. All the way back to Campbell days the kids I coach and see on a daily basis tend to get the short end of the stick on the rankings. I know where all of their skeletons and bad losses are buried.