Sign in to follow this  
FED UP

Board Issues

On December 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM, rjs4470 said:

On paper, it's a great idea.  In practice, it's going to be tough if not impossible to pull off.  And it's not just for wrestling.  No sport really does anything like that.  Travel (in cost, and distance) is a problem.  And the bigger problem is who will run and host.  And if you do find someone/someplace, participation becomes the next problem.  A few years ago, I hosted an open mat to help middle school wrestlers prepare for Nationals and other spring events for 2-3 days a week for 5 weeks in late February/March.  No cost, totally free.  We were lucky to have 10 guys show up.  The truth is it's a really small group of wrestlers that are willing to train and travel.  There are quite a few people throughout the state that do host training year round, albeit at a cost.  It's not as simple as saying "build it and they will come".  

This is wishful thinking...... But each Region could pick a school that will have summer workouts. That way the travel wouldn't be that difficult since it would be pretty close...... But finding a team in each Region to do that would be awesome. But I wouldn't hold my breath. But at least people are talking about how to make Kentucky wrestling better. If there is a will.... There's a way.

8 minutes ago, Nolans Dad said:

This is wishful thinking...... But each Region could pick a school that will have summer workouts. That way the travel wouldn't be that difficult since it would be pretty close...... But finding a team in each Region to do that would be awesome. But I wouldn't hold my breath. But at least people are talking about how to make Kentucky wrestling better. If there is a will.... There's a way.

Again, I don't disagree with the idea.  Like I said, I tried to that once.  Did everything I could to promote it.  And quite frankly it was discouraging to see how few kids took advantage of it.  Everyone talks about getting better, and putting more work in, but very, very few actually do it.

15 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

On paper, it's a great idea.  In practice, it's going to be tough if not impossible to pull off.  And it's not just for wrestling.  No sport really does anything like that.  Travel (in cost, and distance) is a problem.  And the bigger problem is who will run and host.  And if you do find someone/someplace, participation becomes the next problem.  A few years ago, I hosted an open mat to help middle school wrestlers prepare for Nationals and other spring events for 2-3 days a week for 5 weeks in late February/March.  No cost, totally free.  We were lucky to have 10 guys show up.  The truth is it's a really small group of wrestlers that are willing to train and travel.  There are quite a few people throughout the state that do host training year round, albeit at a cost.  It's not as simple as saying "build it and they will come".  

Spot on.  We ran an open mat last summer. Totally free, and three times a week to make sure there were enough opportunities for people to come.  The first night....we had at least 25 or 30 kids.  Mostly youth, but we were excited.  It quickly tapered off to 6-10 that would show up regularly.  If we can't get the numbers, the ROI just isn't there.

The point of the matter is like it or not if there is nobody at the meetings to voice opinions then the board and association members present will do what they want. So if you want to make a difference for our kids and our sport Step Up or Shut Up. I personally have done what i can and plan on doing more as my schedule allows.

• Upvote 2

How many coaches are even showing up to the meetings now?

If you feel like your program has no voice. find out if your program is even showing up. to the meetings. If the programs and coaches are not showing up to the meetings you should take that up with your coach or program.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Bond James Bond said:

How many coaches are even showing up to the meetings now?

If you feel like your program has no voice. find out if your program is even showing up. to the meetings. If the programs and coaches are not showing up to the meetings you should take that up with your coach or program.

Bond,

That was precisely the point i just made. We have not been able to make last couple meetings so we deal with it .

On 12/12/2017 at 2:59 PM, grappler-of-old said:

Ok maybe I should have said.  Why should one team always get to benefit?  

They will always benefit more than the other schools, in not just money but prestige of having the state tourney.  

If a state tourney is held at a school is should rotate.  But we have already found out that does not work.  

I have no dog in this fight.  I am not on the board, nor do I wish to have the headache of being on one. 

I'm just an opinionated old fart. 

How does taking the venue away from a school and giving it to big business make since? I would rather invest in a schools basketball program than give our money to the corporations that own Yum or Broadbent and I can’t stand basketball!! I personally would rather invest in kids and the sport of wrestling no matter what school held the event, but it should be a school. That’s my 2

• Upvote 1