Sign in to follow this  
Old wrestler

Iowa State

Iowa State is quietly assembling a darn good coaching staff. Not only landing Dresser, but signing my favorite non-Kentucky wrestler in the last 10+ years (Brent Metcalf). It will be interesting to see the recruiting battles between the two. I'll take Brands over Dresser, but Metcalf has a lot of name recognition with the younger wrestlers. Not a lot going well for the Hawks in the off season (Lee ACL, Teasdale backing out, losing Metcalf). 

• Upvote 2

Metcalf was an animal no doubt. Was always fun watching him end a match punishing a guy with head pressure and takedowns while he's up 13 with 10 seconds left haa. Very hard nosed dude 

• Upvote 1

Haha Metcalf certainly had a mean streak, but his matches attracted non-wrestling fans, which is the key. Caldwell (NC State) shocked the world ha. 

You're right about V Tech. I saw they signed Frank Molinaro and Jared Frayer. It'll be interesting to see who lands Taylor, Dake, Burroughs, Etc. Cael holds the reigns, but the pendulum will eventually swing. 

ISU has put together a very hard nosed staff, and I love it. I don't know much about their ability to actually coach though. Certainly, they will bring a culture of toughness a la Iowa. Looking forward to what they can do. 

A key for a to DI college room is guys who are currently competing, whether they're an official coach or not.  Their intensity improves everything.  I'd do everything I could to accomodate and nurture them too.

Most of the younger competitors though don't coach to be able to focus on themselves.  This makes it difficult for a guy to leave his alma mater to just train because, I think, to be allowed in practice during the season you have to be an alum or part of the staff.  The NLWC (Penn St) works out at a different time and just does free/greco.

Honestly I'd allow a coach that's competing to go live with the guys in freestyle until Xmas break.  Everyone else would go folkstyle, and this would only apply to live go's.

Virginia Tech has made a solid play for 133-165 with Frayer and Molinaro.  A former Olympian turned coach and a still-competing NCAA champ and most-recent Olympian at the same weight... wow!

On 4/5/2017 at 0:14 PM, Zeus said:

Virginia Tech has made a solid play for 133-165 with Frayer and Molinaro.  A former Olympian turned coach and a still-competing NCAA champ and most-recent Olympian at the same weight... wow!

They have a nice team coming back. Molinaro is a friggin animal. Hows that for a coach/training partner?! Losing Dance and Walz is tough to replace, but they have a stable of 125s and Dunn should step right in a HWT and score points. Moore coming off RS could find a starting spot at 141.

• Upvote 1