Wrestledad

Female Qualifiers And Etc.

With Coach C's permission, any female that is interested and did not know, there is a separate female division at the Campbell County tournament which is the state qualifier for Fargo. I did not know this until today when Coach C contacted me. I know that there are several females in the central Kentucky region that have started looking for these types of match ups. Coach has said that many good things may be getting ready to happen for females in this state and I think that this is huge to grow the female side of the sport. I wouldn't want to misquote so maybe this thread could become a general discussion for the topic. 

Just got back from Oklahoma and the girls folkstyle nationals. What an event. The number of females in this country who compete in wrestling is unreal. It was a true eye opener to see the level of competition that the country has to offer in the female division. I would invite everyone to attend a national event or at least watch a national event that involves the female side of wrestling. True competitors and unbelievable talent. So many states were represented by huge teams. Some states were only represented by a few individuals because the female side has not developed yet. It was great seeing the talent that Kentucky showed even though it was just a few. Kentucky had several placers at this national tournament, yet it was not even noticed except by ones that live in the communities that these wrestlers came from. Our female university division was very well represented with several top placers. Did you know that Kentucky has a couple of the top Universities in the female division of wrestling? Campbellsville University and University of the Cumberlands are some top contenders in female university wrestling.

A bit of information that was told to me, and I did not realize, there are more female wrestlers in the state of California than are wrestlers in the state of Kentucky. When California showed up they brought a huge team. There were teams from Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, and lots more that brought whole teams. Where was Kentucky's national female team? Some parents that we talked to were talking about other national events for females and asking if we were going to attend. They told us that we needed to get in touch with our female division representative to get more information about these events. Does Kentucky have a female division representative? Almost every state that borders ours has a separate female division and national teams that represent them in national events. The numbers that are seen at these events is unreal. I am not sure what the final tally was for the event in Oklahoma which included a kids division, schoolgirl division, cadet division, junior division, and university division. However, I was shown an article where a record number attended the cadet division numbering over 230. There were well over 1000 entries for the whole tournament.

Kentucky has to start looking at this seriously. I see that some read the posts about female wrestling but very few comment. Why? Do people just want to ignore it and hope it goes away or are they just not sure how to do it. Just do it and let it grow and if mistakes are made learn from them and correct them. There is more that can be added to this sport in this state and I hope the ones that can make it happen start to see where Kentucky is missing an opportunity. I know that there are a lot that want to make a change because I have talked to a lot of them. For you dads out there that have daughters that compete in this sport speak up. We have a lot of female competitors in this state and it has to start becoming a priority for the sport to acknowledge a separate place for them so the respect they deserve is given. 

13 hours ago, Wrestledad said:

Just got back from Oklahoma and the girls folkstyle nationals. What an event. The number of females in this country who compete in wrestling is unreal. It was a true eye opener to see the level of competition that the country has to offer in the female division. I would invite everyone to attend a national event or at least watch a national event that involves the female side of wrestling. True competitors and unbelievable talent. So many states were represented by huge teams. Some states were only represented by a few individuals because the female side has not developed yet. It was great seeing the talent that Kentucky showed even though it was just a few. Kentucky had several placers at this national tournament, yet it was not even noticed except by ones that live in the communities that these wrestlers came from. Our female university division was very well represented with several top placers. Did you know that Kentucky has a couple of the top Universities in the female division of wrestling? Campbellsville University and University of the Cumberlands are some top contenders in female university wrestling.

A bit of information that was told to me, and I did not realize, there are more female wrestlers in the state of California than are wrestlers in the state of Kentucky. When California showed up they brought a huge team. There were teams from Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, and lots more that brought whole teams. Where was Kentucky's national female team? Some parents that we talked to were talking about other national events for females and asking if we were going to attend. They told us that we needed to get in touch with our female division representative to get more information about these events. Does Kentucky have a female division representative? Almost every state that borders ours has a separate female division and national teams that represent them in national events. The numbers that are seen at these events is unreal. I am not sure what the final tally was for the event in Oklahoma which included a kids division, schoolgirl division, cadet division, junior division, and university division. However, I was shown an article where a record number attended the cadet division numbering over 230. There were well over 1000 entries for the whole tournament.

Kentucky has to start looking at this seriously. I see that some read the posts about female wrestling but very few comment. Why? Do people just want to ignore it and hope it goes away or are they just not sure how to do it. Just do it and let it grow and if mistakes are made learn from them and correct them. There is more that can be added to this sport in this state and I hope the ones that can make it happen start to see where Kentucky is missing an opportunity. I know that there are a lot that want to make a change because I have talked to a lot of them. For you dads out there that have daughters that compete in this sport speak up. We have a lot of female competitors in this state and it has to start becoming a priority for the sport to acknowledge a separate place for them so the respect they deserve is given. 

I have contacted TN to get information on how/what they did to start it. I have forwarded the email I received from the TSSAA to Coach Upchurch. I am working on writing up something to resend to him on why we need it in KY. 

• Upvote 2

I just returned from Oklahoma city  girls folkestyle nationals.  Just wanted to share 3 young Ky girls had a great tournament. 

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:

Lauren Walton  85lbs.

Olivia Messerly 80lbs.

RUNNER UP:

Addison Messerly 102lbs.

Great Job Ladies!  

I believe Ky girls do very good at the National level because they wrestle boys all season.  As a father of two girl wrestlers, I would hate to see our state have an all girls division. They take a beating but at the end of the day it makes them so much better than the women who only wrestle women. Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

So we had 5 All Americans.

3 from above plus Courtney Pittman and Hope Miracle. That's awesome. I only wish we could have had a Team Kentucky. This way I could have seen all the girls from Kentucky competing. Not necessarily had team gear and all that, just all registered under one team. I just happened to stumble across Hope and Lauren on Track. If I had known the Messerly girls were there I would have followed and cheered them on as well. 

At this point it is hard to compare ourselves to other states. We are in our early stages of female wrestling. I have seen major growth in female wrestling the last 3 years I have coached. We are headed towards having a female division but it is going to take time and a lot more numbers. I have a hard time disagreeing withBraves Coach wrestling the boys makes them better. The majority of Courtney's matches she looked like the stronger wrestler. This comes from wrestling young men. Once the numbers are high enough you can have a female state tournament. Once there I also invision an overlap for at least several years where the females could compete in both. It would be nice to have a female wrestling state representative. Maybe somebody that coaches and has daughters that wrestle. I nominate Braves Coach! Lol.

• Upvote 1

This is good. Conversation about the subject is needed. While I don't disagree with either on the strength part, I am afraid that once a certain age is reached the females may get left behind do to nature and the fact that boys start to outpace females in strength. What would be a shame is if our good female wrestlers get to high school and the losses become more and the injuries become more severe. How does this play into the picture? Every female I have seen in our Kentucky tournaments are some of the best sports about a defeat. But when does it become to much?

Excellent points. My answer to that is to reward the girls with as many National Tournaments for girls only as possible.  As far as injuries go, the only injury to my girls was in an all girls tournament.  War of the roses. She broke her ankle. It was a fluke accident. Could have happened against anyone. Yes strength has already proven to be significant but thats part of the grind. I just preach to mine out wrestle don't try to out muscle. Technique, Technique, Technique!!!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Braves coach said:

ABSOLUTELY! My girls are doing freestyle and greco.

They can practice Greco, but can not compete in Greco.