Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

State Medals

17 hours ago, Dan97 said:

GOO or maybe someone else can correct me if I am wrong but I believe in the early 90's both finalists received a framed picture of their faceoff. I thought this was great. They stopped by the time I was in high school. As the competition in our state improves so should the recognition and honor for our state placers. I am glad to see the KYWCA is moving in a positive direction.

There has been so many changes that I can't remember who got what when.   I do believe one year they received a t-shirt or jacket or something.  

Heck in my stoneage time only top 4 got medals. 5th and 6th stood there and got nothing.  I only got 2 state medals didn't get anything for 5th.  Then the state tried to remedy this by giving 5th and 6th ribbons, while the others got medals.  

I do however believe that the coach of the state champion should be the one giving the medals to the placers at that wt. class or at least to their own state champion. 

GOO you're showing your age lol.

What I remember, I know in 1988 and I think through 1989/1990 the State Champs all received a jacket, it was like a windbreaker type. The whole  jacket thing didn't last very long.

Medals were top 4, I believe they started giving out medals for top 6 in 1988, 1989 or it may have been 1990. They always gave out decent size bracket boards and brought in someone to fill them out. They were pretty nice. The finalist received a photo.

I think the jacket thing got shut down, because it could keep those receiving them from wrestling in college.  I started wrestling with the High school in 1988/89 season.  If I remember correctly it was considered getting paid as an amateur.  Not completely sure on that.  Not long after that Coach's threw in money, so if a wrestler won a T shirt or anything from tournaments they were actually bought.

I'm not so sure about that.  Kids win Beats, backpacks, singlets and many other prizes all the time at national tournaments.  I wouldnt see a jacket given out as an award any different than those awards.  Things may have been different though way back when you all were young. You know, back in the black and white days days of TV. Hehe 

29 minutes ago, REscalera said:

I'm not so sure about that.  Kids win Beats, backpacks, singlets and many other prizes all the time at national tournaments.  I wouldnt see a jacket given out as an award any different than those awards.  Things may have been different though way back when you all were young. You know, back in the black and white days days of TV. Hehe 

You mean when they had to walk to practice uphill both ways? :)

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Confused Spectator said:

You mean when they had to walk to practice uphill both ways? :)

That was true.  Back in the day the earth tilted one way in the morning and the other way at night. :lol::ph34r:

The ice age straightened it all out. 

2 hours ago, Bearcats Coach said:

GOO you're showing your age lol.

They always gave out decent size bracket boards and brought in someone to fill them out.

I believe Coach Sellers was the one filling out the brackets. I could be wrong though.