103 this year....weak or not?

Will 103 be weak this year?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will 103 be weak this year?

• yes
    • no
    • not as weak as 112

Guest TroJanMan112

Will 103 be pretty weak this year or is there any new wrestlers that will stand out, what 103s from last year are going to 12, whos staying???

WHen is 103 not weak . NO offense but every year it is the youngest kids with little experience. But their still fun to watch because the competition is still tough!

I can honestly say that 103 (for whatever reason) has declined only recently. I remember in 2001, here was your top dogs at 103:

Upchurch -WC, Ford - TRI, Ludwig - BAL, Class - STX, Kruse-Williams - LAF, Von Nguyen - WAG.

2002:

Thompson - OC, Denny - SO, Dwyer - SEN, Von Nguyen - WAG, Wurzback - WOOD, Roberts - STX, Rushelle - RY, Robinette - SHCL

2003:

Trejo - TC, Rushelle - RY, Denny - SO, Duncan - CH, Parke - WOOD, Martin - SEN, Moon - TRI, Trimble - JC.

Nick Chaffin would have placed high in 01 without the injury though he couldn't have beat Upchurch....

To get a comparison, just look at Rushelle and he was tuogh as nails when he was an underclassman as well.

Other than Sullivan, none of the other competitors at 103 last year would have placed in any of these three groups IMHO.

Nick Chaffin didn't even go 103 in 2001 and even if he had, I know for a fact he would have beaten Doug Upchurch... To tell you the truth I don't see 1 aspect that Upchurch was better than Chaffin. Upchurch had a good head whip and that was it... he pinned everyone at state with it but it just wouldn't work against a good wrestler.

Dang Mathound! You don't have to be so defensive of Nick...He knows that I kid him all the time. But you are right he wasn't 103 in '01...my bad...but he was hurt and did not get to wrestle in the state tournament. Let me see, didn't you win it at 112 in "01 and Nick was at 119 right? (Excuse me but Pappy's gettin' old and can't remember diddly-squat anymore) Did you and Nick ever wrestle each other (in a real match)? And BTW, I will stick with my other statement about last years 103's.

I really don't think that 103 is getting weak or ever was weak. If you look back at the records alot of your eventual state champs started out there. They may have not looked great at the time but after a few pounds seemed to be up to the task. Just because they are young or small does not mean they are not good wrestlers. :wink:

Nick Chaffin went 103 in 2000, 112 in 2001, 119 in 2002, and 119 in 2003. He was injured in 2002. In 2001, he finished 2nd, losing to Tyler Baldwin of Woodford Co. in OT in the finals.

Billy Clark won it at 112 in 2002.

I dont see anyway that Upchurch would have beaten Chaffin in 2001. Chaffin was much improved from his freshman season, a season in which he beat Upchurch in their first meeting and placed 6th in the state.

If you want to talk about a tough 103 season, go back to 2000. Four of the placers that season went on to be state champions.

1. Luke Metzker (state champ)

2. Tony Perry

3. Billy Clark (state champ)

4. Nathan Thomas

5. Doug Upchurch (state champ)

6. Nick Chaffin (state champ)

As far as Clark and Chaffin, or should I say the Chaffins, wrestling, they all three met several times. Yes, each one of them had wrestled eachother in real matches in tournies or duals, even Nick vs. Heath. They all have a win under their belts versus the other.

Thanks brawler. I just remember some of the old days 103's and I think you've helped me make my point that they were just better (or I least that's the way I remember). Not to say at all that these kids today won't progress and I know that we've got some really good kids coming thru the Middle School ranks now...Chaffin lost to Baldwin...really... :lol:

103 is always a tough weight class I dont care what anyone says alot of those kids turn into state champs years down the road. yes some of the wrestling is sloppy but alot of the competitors are in middle school of lower classmen but it is a great weight class for kids to learn how to be scrappy. Those kids fight tooth and nail and are all over the mat. None of the stalling and cautious wrestling you get in the upper weight classes. I love watching 103 because it is usually wide open.

I like watching the lower classes because of the speed and quickness. Even if for the sake of argument its not the toughest class, its still exciting to watch for that reason. Whether or not its the toughest class doesn't matter all that much if the guys in it are somewhat evenly matched.

Guest TroJanMan112
i look for sullivan -wayne' date=' carr - union, spencer- johnson central, and luna

eastern to all be at 103 this year.[/quote']I heard that luna will be at 112 this year, his friend is wrestling for southern this year and told me. I dont know about carr but im sure sullivan will suck his way to 3.

Guest DAWG6

Have to agree, from what I remember, Luna always had to cut heavy to stay close to 103.

I see him having to cut to make 12.

But, Caleb Wood shoudn't have a hard time with anyone at that weight class.

if sullivan is back at 103 i dont see anyone touching him. I found him very impressive for the 103 pound weight class. And i wish carr the best of luck at 103 or 112 i think he can place high at either one and has a shot at winning it.

I love the 103 pound weight class because it is always chocked full of the great wrestling names of the future. 103's don't believe that your class is weak, just usually young. When you guys get bigger and older you will look back at all the good wrestlers in your 103 class and see what a talented group you were in!

Guest Mat_Man_658

it will more than likely be sullivan and carr in the finals again this year

I don't know what he will go, but I think the Corey Spencer will upset one of those gentlemen to be in the 103 finals. I am not sure which one it will be, but it took a late surge and a mistake from Spencer for Carr to beat him in the semi's and one big move is all you need to upset the champ...ask Sullivan, he is a big-move man himself!

IMO i think shane parks will be one the top contenders at 103 this year! last year he was only 1 match away from placing and he has put on a good 10 pounds of muscle over the summer! Watch for his name this year!

Guest Mat_Man_658

here's what i think should be the top 10 103's

1 Sullivan

2 Carr/spencer dont no they had a close match last year

3 Luna

4 Johnson

5 Fuller

6 Brown

7 Zeppa

8 Parks

9 Cornett

10 Herold