Sign in to follow this  
dutch

You might want to read this!!!!

I like any idea that gets even one more kid to wrestle.  Rules have changed to accommodate the new "Wave of fashion"  C'mon Depp.  You are older than even I am. I'm sure you wore those singlets that had the snap button in the crotch.  In my time you could not have hair to your shoulders or over your ears.  All of this changed to get more kids out and to change with the times.  Ultimately it did not change wrestling, except to get more kids out.  

What I truly do not understand is why the middle school rules do not mirror those of the High School?  It would be so much simpler for the powers that be to just follow what the high school is doing and not worry about anything else.  Middle school kids should follow the weight loss procedures and certification procedures same as the high school. They will be doing it in a year or two anyway.  Many of the middle school kids are wrestling with the high school at some time anyway. 

You're right about how things/times change. Change happens on it's own, sometimes good and sometimes bad. (look at what's happened to the state tourney.) but some things remain the same too. I realize that not everyone is the same, I only wanted to compete and wrestle and was not concerned with attire.  I have wrestled in cut off blue jeans  and garbage bags with holes cut out for head and arms. Now I guess it's just as important to some of  the kids today to "look good" while their doing it too. not a problem, I  really could care less what they are wearing when I'm in the stands watching. and would go even if they had NO standard uniform. So I will stay out of this conversation and let the people who care about this topic settle it. Can't wait for the season to start though.

6 hours ago, depperschmidt said:

I have wrestled in cut off blue jeans  and garbage bags with holes cut out for head and arms. Now I guess it's just as important to some of  the kids today to "look good" while their doing it too. not a problem,

This is because you are one crazy a** SOB. :blink::lol:

True story:  my family and I went on a walk this evening through my neighborhood when a neighbor who lives a few houses down from us stopped me on the sidewalk and asked if I still help coach wrestling.  She explained that her son, who is now in 7th grade, wrestled on our youth team for one season but quit because he "hated the uniform".  She said he loved going to practices, but refused to go to tournaments that required him to wear a singlet because of the way he looked in it. She said that he is considering wrestling this year "because his friends said he doesn't have to wear that uniform now."  I've seen this kid in the neighborhood and he is not that overweight. I was shocked that he would be so self conscience of wearing a singlet.  

Of the long list of obstacles to preventing growth of wrestling with kids, I would bet uniforms are pretty far down the list compared to costs, getting good coaches, access to facilities, etc.  However, of all those obstacles, allowing for a newer looking uniform might be the easiest to overcome.  How hard is it to just allow the uniform as an option and teams can decide if they want them or not?  As many have said, if it helps get just one more kid out then it is a good idea.  Almost every coach I know has admitted that they have lost kids because of the singlet.  As crazy as that sounds to us who looked amazing in a singlet, its just the truth.    

I hear a lot of people say "well wrestling isn't for everyone and if a kid won't wrestle because of a uniform then he probably wasn't cut out for the sport anyway".  To me, that attitude is exactly why our sport struggles to grow.  It's as if we are deliberately only promoting the sport to potential state champions.  There just aren't a lot of potential Brock Irvins roaming the elementary and middle schools.  However, there are a lot of kids that would benefit from wrestling that aren't doing anything in the Winter.  And if changing a uniform helps get those kids out, why not do it?  The reality is, wrestling probably has a bigger impact on those fringe kids and their families anyway and those are the kids and families we do a horrible job of attracting and keeping with the sport.     

12 hours ago, raidercoach said:

True story:  my family and I went on a walk this evening through my neighborhood when a neighbor who lives a few houses down from us stopped me on the sidewalk and asked if I still help coach wrestling.  She explained that her son, who is now in 7th grade, wrestled on our youth team for one season but quit because he "hated the uniform".  She said he loved going to practices, but refused to go to tournaments that required him to wear a singlet because of the way he looked in it. She said that he is considering wrestling this year "because his friends said he doesn't have to wear that uniform now."  I've seen this kid in the neighborhood and he is not that overweight. I was shocked that he would be so self conscience of wearing a singlet.  

Of the long list of obstacles to preventing growth of wrestling with kids, I would bet uniforms are pretty far down the list compared to costs, getting good coaches, access to facilities, etc.  However, of all those obstacles, allowing for a newer looking uniform might be the easiest to overcome.  How hard is it to just allow the uniform as an option and teams can decide if they want them or not?  As many have said, if it helps get just one more kid out then it is a good idea.  Almost every coach I know has admitted that they have lost kids because of the singlet.  As crazy as that sounds to us who looked amazing in a singlet, its just the truth.    

I hear a lot of people say "well wrestling isn't for everyone and if a kid won't wrestle because of a uniform then he probably wasn't cut out for the sport anyway".  To me, that attitude is exactly why our sport struggles to grow.  It's as if we are deliberately only promoting the sport to potential state champions.  There just aren't a lot of potential Brock Irvins roaming the elementary and middle schools.  However, there are a lot of kids that would benefit from wrestling that aren't doing anything in the Winter.  And if changing a uniform helps get those kids out, why not do it?  The reality is, wrestling probably has a bigger impact on those fringe kids and their families anyway and those are the kids and families we do a horrible job of attracting and keeping with the sport.     

Couldn't have said it better..

On October 10, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Ranger123 said:

I think Coach hit the nail on the head. Committed passionate coaches will have 10000 times the impact a uniform change will. We have way too many guys who just "collect a check" and do nothing to build their teams. 

Not saying we shouldn't make an attempt with an alternate uniform, but I don't think it is a silver bullet. 

Speaking of voting on this again, won't it have to wait 2 years to be voted on again. 

Not unless we decide that it needs to be addressed again prior to that two year moratorium, which I think there is enough chatter and discussion that this would be one of those topics that need to be. BUT, there seems to be more individuals with very valid opinions on here speaking up since the vote than there was present for the vote. The majority voted against them..... I support the alternate uniform, think it's an awesome idea, but the boards hands are tied when the majority votes, so maybe we can give it another look sooner and see what the majority says this time around.