THEgimp

He lost a VERY close match in semi's. And we've already been down that road on who should have won that match....I think he was undefeated in state going into that match. As an 8th grader! I think it's safe to go with him at 140.

Courtney placed third last year at 130 as an eighth grader. You won't find me saying this often, but in the semifinals he was straight screwed by the official. In no way am I saying that it was intentional, but it was a horrible call. Courtney was the best wrestler in the state last year at 130, no question. I agree that Sanders did perform better than at state duals, but Harrison destroyed him 10-1 in their first meeting.

The year before he placed eighth at 119 as a seventh grader.

It's scary to think that he's only going to be a freshman next year and we're already debating whether he'll go undefeated or not. Most freshman are only concerned with making the varsity squad, I was.

I have to agree with nonstop521 and change my prediction to going undefeated at least in state. The Hammer & Anvil tournament in Ohio is tough, as well as the Greenville Invitational in Tennessee.

Look out for this kid when he is a senior. He will be attracting attention from almost every school, top 10 Division I schools included. He wrestles in out of state tournaments (where he excels, 2nd at Middle School Nationals last year), competes in freestyle, and lifts weights consistently. I haven't met anybody (outside of the few Olympians I've been introduced to by Coach Carr) that wrestles as much as he does or works harder (including myself). The boy has the best coaching, top quality training partners, and most of all an unmatched desire to win.

I don't think he was undefeated in state, didn't he lose once to Thuneman when Thuneman wrestled up a class at 130 cause he didn't make weight ? Or was that Peace i am thinking of that Thuneman beat ?

I concede Courtney probably works hard, i don't know him or what he does out of season so i'll take your word on it. I've said on here many times he's potentially a great. But remember, improvement is not linear ... it slows down once you have been at something like that for a while. Like when you first start lifting, that rate of improvement doesn't continue for ever. I'll say its too early too tell where he is on that curve. I assume he probably started young, anyone know when ?

He looked older than his age, if i didn't know better i would never guess he was in 8th grade last year. If he didn't hit a growth spurt early, some kids do, he'll be as great as predicted. Only time will tell on that, as the next year or so will be telling. At the worst he'll still be a multi champ, which is nothing to brood about !

If its not a growth spurt or early development and just hard work coupled with talent i think its great. I like seeing hard work pay off for someone.

Nobody in the lower weights, except Murton, will be able to beat Courtney this year (including Thueneman, Scott, Sanders, Parker, Banks, Howard, Aylor, Walls, and Wilson). Everyone says Murton's going 130 or 135 so he can wrestle that weight for senior nationals anyway. He's on another level than those guys, what happened last year doesn't matter.

Dunno about that. Thuneman is no slouch of a wrestler. I would see Courtney getting UP to their level this year. Remember, when Thuneman beat him last year he was wrestling up a class. Didn't Sanders pin him too out of season and only lose to Murton 7-4 ? I know you're a big fan, how can you write the others off like that !! :)

Don't know a lot about Sanders, but Thuneman was only a sophomore in his own right. Thats hardly an old man in the sport, so you can't call it an older guy beating an under developed guy. He is only two years older than Courtney. Thuneman's still got two years of improvement and already got an honorable mention in the national ranks. Courtney may improve but so will all those guys you listed.

As a freshman he'll still be unbelievable of course, but to say he'd surely beat any of those guys you listed is a stretch. None of those would be a guaranteed notch for Courtney by any means. But i guess thats why they wrestle the matches !

And while i don't know how it would go, Wilson or Aylor would have no qualms wrestling him either. Either of those matches would be a good one to watch.