Sign in to follow this  
norsewrestling

Pre-season HS tournament/dual tourney in NKY?

Would anyone be interested if we (NKU) were to host a preseason open/dual tournament in NKY? There doesnt appear to be a tournament of such type, and our program is in need of starting a strong yearly fundraiser.

I think it would be a great idea. It would be even better if you could figure out a way to do it under the lights. I know a few HS kids that would be game. With the HS season beginning a month after MS, not sure how to do it with timing to include both........

BadMadDad are you referring to the BoK/bbt arena? As of right now I am thinking early-mid october. I would love to get something going for both middle school and high school, but we may focus on HS for the moment, and getting a few teams to commit to an event. I want to get a successful event running yearly, then maybe we could look at getting an event running for both HS and MS. Im going to talk to our director about getting a solid date down, and if we could get 4 teams to commit, we could always add more refs/mats as needed if more teams decide to participate.

I believe in light of all the pre-season national recognized tournaments that mid-October would not be a good time. Maybe late Sept which would allow those going to compete in the national tournaments a chance to prepare before hand.

I was under the impression that it was going to be a dual event.   If the teams are going to represent high school teams this would have to happen after Oct 15th.  That way high schools can be represented in a dual as a scrimmage. 

I think if you have it after the practices start you will have more interest because it becomes a school event and not an individual event that the kids have to do on their own.  You are already not going to get the football players.  

Because of football I would do an individual tournament.  In Indiana our preseason tournament is September 12-13. http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/48426-article-6th-annual-indianamat-hoosier-preseason-open/

This tournament is a qualifier for Super 32 if you make the top 3 in your weight.  I think if you did an individual tournament and marketed it right you could get some out of state kids too.  Your wrestlers who don't play football will be looking to get matches.  Keep me posted and I can let some Indiana coaches know who might be interested in sending some kids down. 

Individual tournaments are much harder to run from a logistics standpoint from what ive seen. This is only our second year as a team as well. Id love to start running a local open tournament in the summer but Im not sure we would be able to pull one off yet. The original plan is to host a preseason dual tournament, possibly november 14th, allowing teams to get practice. We can play with that date however. Im speaking with my director regarding insurance, and spacing to host it. Once everything is reserved, we can start getting committments from teams, and as long as we can get a minimum of four teams, we will hold it.

My understanding of the pre-season wrestling guidelines from KHSAA is you can only do one scrimmage or preseason event and it can only last like 3 hours from the message the AD sent out so I think individual is the way to go that way its on the kids them selves not a team made event so as not to do anything wrong and I could just be mistaken on the rules.

I know in the past.  Nky has tried over and over again to hold an AAU then USA tournaments.  It has never went over well.

Would this be the best way for NKU wrestling to make Money?   I don't know much about holding USA tourneys.  Does USA get a cut?  You would need certified officials??  Would the wrestlers need new USA cards?

How many Nky wrestlers have USA cards?   

Pulled from the KHSAA handbook.

Sec. 14) SPORTS SPECIFIC LIMITATIONS- WRESTLING- BOYS

a) Following the opening day of school, there shall be no organized practice prior to October 15.

b.)There shall be no more than two (2) practice meets prior to the fi rst regular season contest of that year.

c) The fi rst match shall not take place prior to the Monday of Corresponding Week 21

Kids would need new USA cards (I believe cards expired August 1).

Usa only gets a sanctioning fee which is like $50.

It could work as there are a lot more active year round wrestlers these days, but I'm not sure it would be a huge money maker. Never know until you try. Heck, who knows the idea of nku holding it might generate some interest.

I would open it up to middle school.  Don't they all have USA cards?  

I know none of our high school kids have USA cards.  Our kids don't pay a fee to play sports at our school.  If they did we would have very few participating.  

I mean we are completely open to playing around with different ideas. Our main goal is just to establish a yearly wrestling related fundraiser that will not be competiting with other tournaments in the NKY area. I'd be open to host an inseason one as well. We just need to get something rolling yearly that will bring awareness to what we are doing here at NKU, and serve as a source of funding for years to come. I know it will take a while to establish it, but our biggest obstacle to what we can do as a team is funding. An offseason/preseason tournament would be cool because it would help grow the wrestling culture in the area as well. I'm just trying to gauge what the interest from local teams would be.

Sign in to follow this