Sign in to follow this  
Raiders Wrestling

Schools who dont offer wrestling

While I think it's bad that kids can't compete who want to I can understand the liability concerns in today's world with people slapping a lawsuit at the smallest thing.

Do ya think the KHSAA will ever allow kids that go to private or public schools without wrestling or homeschooled kids to go wrestle at schools that do to help numbers. I think they should. What ya think?

You'd be opening a huge can of worms, and there'd be a huge opportunity for abuse. Remember, this would have to apply to all other sports. How would you manage it, what about academic standards, and worse, while creating opportunity for some, you might be taking opportunity away from kids in the building. A kid that goes to the school and wrestles, but loses his spot to an outsider and quits....that's breaking even, not growing numbers.

In addition, I don't think it would really help numbers all that much. If a kid wanted to wrestle and his school didn't offer it, in order to participate at another school, that school would have to be close by and the student would have to have transportation in order to get there. Schools that have no wrestling programs, obviously aren't affiliated with any youth programs, and likely the students pay little attention to or have any interest in the sport. Have you really heard any outcry from kids who want to wrestle but cannot?? And those students that do have interest and want to continue in the sport can always choose to attend private schools that do offer the sport.

In our town we have several small religious schools and none offer it and yes I have lots of kids and parents ask often for a program like ours it would truly help with numbers we normally don't have enough to fill out a roster I do get your concerns about the schools own students losing spots to kids that just come to wrestle and wish I had that problem I was just asked again but 3 different parents this week and so thought I would see if anyone knew anything different. I agree with you it has good and bad things with it I just love the sport and want it for all.

Well on the team I coached this year we had two brothers from a nearby private Jewish school join our team since their school dropped wrestling the previous year. The older brother ended up one of our best wrestlers.

My father had that situation back running cross country in San Francisco, his small private school didn't carry any sports so he ran for a nearby school and won them a title.

It's very good for the sport and it helps the kids too. Honestly I don't see how it can help people abuse the system when the system is already pretty easy to abuse

I wrestled in Kentucky but I coach in Ohio

And yes my father ran in San Francisco for a year, he actually went to Central Dauphin (PA) most of his career and loves to complain about how terrible the wrestling team was when he was there

I remember a kid that went to KCD and trained with North Oldham, then ultimately St. X. He competed at regionals and state as a KCD kid, but was essentially part of the St X team. Maybe the kid(s) can do the same thing. This way he/they won't take a spot, but will have a room to wrestle in and push him. Not sure what KCD did, but I remember the kid placing at state.

I remember a kid that went to KCD and trained with North Oldham, then ultimately St. X. He competed at regionals and state as a KCD kid, but was essentially part of the St X team. Maybe the kid(s) can do the same thing. This way he/they won't take a spot, but will have a room to wrestle in and push him. Not sure what KCD did, but I remember the kid placing at state.

Hardy Hendren, from my understanding interest at that school just died, the last year he trained at KCD he was the only kid coming to practice by the end of the season

Hardy, yes! Really great kid. Like I said, not sure of the logistics of it all, but he basically became a St X kid who placed at state as a KCD wrestler. Surely it can happen elsewhere if a kid wants to wrestle and can find a team to take him in as one of their own.

Sign in to follow this