Sign in to follow this  
Irish Wrestler

Mother Nature and the State Tournament

Sounds like Mother Nature isn't going to let go of winter quite yet.  I think we should be glad that State wasn't moved to this weekend (March 6 & 7).  Maybe the teams from Eastern KY will be able to dig out before Tuesday. 

This delay has taken all the excitement right out the state tournament.

No worse than if quite a few of the participants couldn't have made it or were restricted from participating.  Obviously, this isn't an ideal situation.

I think postponing was the best decision but I don't think the KHSAA would do it again, if it was that bad I think they'd just cancel. I think they'll keep the schedule no matter the weather at this point and if people can't make it then they can't make it. Would rather have some people miss than them cancel it.

No worse than if quite a few of the participants couldn't have made it or were restricted from participating. Obviously, this isn't an ideal situation.

I disagree. I dont believe there wouldve been a significant no show. I believe the key players in each weight class wouldve been there for the most part. I do believe it has been a rediculous amount of time for these guys to keep their weight down. Ive talked to many around the state and its been almost unanimous in saying the decision to postpone was a bad decision.

Ive driven 2 hours one way in many snowstorms to take my kid to train. Im sick of the whining.

I disagree. I dont believe there wouldve been a significant no show. I believe the key players in each weight class wouldve been there for the most part. I do believe it has been a rediculous amount of time for these guys to keep their weight down. Ive talked to many around the state and its been almost unanimous in saying the decision to postpone was a bad decision.

Ive driven 2 hours one way in many snowstorms to take my kid to train. Im sick of the whining.

Agree that the vast majority would have made it anyway. But what about programs who districts may have forbidden them to travel since they require travel to be in school buses? Postponing is better than cancelling it altogether, which could have happened if the KHSAA is as bad as some people think.

I disagree. I dont believe there wouldve been a significant no show. I believe the key players in each weight class wouldve been there for the most part. I do believe it has been a rediculous amount of time for these guys to keep their weight down. Ive talked to many around the state and its been almost unanimous in saying the decision to postpone was a bad decision.Ive driven 2 hours one way in many snowstorms to take my kid to train. Im sick of the whining.

Sure, I would have driven too. But many school districts have strict cancellation policies, and would not have allowed kids to compete. And while technically they could have secured their own transportation, the coaches would risk termination if they showed up to coach. I've dealt with this before in my school district (Kenton county schools). How would the tournament have looked without kids from SK, Scott and Dixie (no Ashford, Sowder, Johnson, Cornett, Miller, all with chances to win it all or at least make a run to the finals). Factor in, that there a likely more than a few that wouldn't make because they had no transportation if the school disallowed travel...not all parents are as dedicated (or as brave)as you or I. I do agree the weight part sucks, and the fact that I'm guessing practice partners are few and far between, as non qualifiers have moved on to spring sports, especially for teams with only a couple qualifiers. Still, I think it was the right decision.

I'm also not sure that I've heard a lot whining....the loudest voices and the most complaining have been from those that disagreed with the decision. I think most understand the reasoning (that doesn't mean they like the situation) and are doing their best to move forward.

• Upvote 1

Or we might have guys missing weight and and injured due to the prolonged season. While i agree this is a better alternative than cancelling it made things extremely difficult on the wrestlers.

And it has taken some of the excitment out of the tournament. I hope folks can find a way to make it during the week and give the guys the recognition they deserve.

So is everyone getting dug out?  We are getting closer to Tuesday!  Our kids couldn't practice yesterday or today, but they will be hitting it hard tomorrow and Sunday.  I hope everyone is seeing the sunshine today and it is helping the snow melt away!!!!!

You have entirely the wrong point of view on this. The state wrestling tournament is not about the spectators, or the coaches, or the parents, or about some guy who's not afraid to drive 2+ hours through snowstorms. It's about every competitor who's put his body through Hell for an entire season having the chance to perform in the state tournament. It's not about the "key players", IT'S ABOUT EVERY WRESTLER.

The postponement was necessary to insure that every kid has the chance to compete, not just the "key players". Is this situation ideal? No, but waiting is better than the KHSAA telling dozens of kids "Sorry about your luck, but you just won't get to wrestle in the state tournament this year because you're living in a town that was buried by record setting snowfall. We appreciate the hard work and dedication you've put forth for the last several months/years, but you'll just have to come back next season and cross your fingers that we experience a mild winter. Oh, you're a SENIOR, you say? Well... good luck with the rest of your life."

I think I've made my point.

Sounds to me that some people wanted the tourney to continue as originally planned.  That way their favorite wrestlers would have a better chance of success because a number of other wrestlers would not have made the tourney.  And those that were able to make it through the snow to Allteck, many would still would not have wrestled because their school canceled which means they could not compete even if they do show up. 

Takedown Machine52

My main concerns were about guys keeping their weight down and the risk of injuries due to prolonged season. 

Goo

That's ridiculous.

Btw Takedown Machine52

You're correct in saying it's about the wrestlers.  They have put their bodies through hell.  It's been a grind, which is exactly why 3 and a half weeks wait was brutal and unfair to them.  I'm glad it's finally here.  I hope everyone's healthy and ready to go.

Sign in to follow this