halfhalfhalf

upsets

Mr anon,

Be very careful what you wish for? Might consider waiting to see what weight this kid is at next year and then choose a different one. If you want your kid to win. I'm with Trithis on this one.

I just wish both these good kids to have great wrestling careers and to grow up to be respected for their accomplishments and great sportsmanship they portrayed while in this sport. Don't steer them in the wrong direction!! These are our future coaches of the sport we so love to watch!!! God bless them and keep them safe.

Looking for a very interesting quarters match with Ashford/Blanton.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if Blanton wins there.  Ashford very athletic & quick vs. Blanton experienced, mat savy, bulldog.  Winner I predict meets Heidorf in finals.  145 very top heavy with Heidorf, Andreoni, Bailey, Dorne.  It will be interesting how this weight class shakes out.

Blanton just hasn't been making mistakes this year. He's my pick at 145.

Have you seen Ashford this year??  Aside from dropping down to wrestle Vasquez (his only loss), Ashford hasn't had a close match all year.  He hasn't been making mistakes either, and is a mix of strength and athleticism, and has just had an ubelievable feel on the mat.  I'm not saying Blanton (or Heirdof) can't win....he is very, very good, and as a Soph will be in the mix for the next two years.  But Ashford is going to be a very difficult out, and is probably the favorite on that side of the bracket.  Blanton-Ashford in the quarters should be a fun one.

I know Ashford very well. Don't be too enamored with records. Don't think Scott had the toughest schedule. I love his athletic ability. I could see him in the finals but he ain't beating Heidorf and his experience. JMO. Remember last year. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon when he pulled the upset at regions and it then went to state and didn't do as well as people thought. I think he's improved. We will see.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from Ashford at all. He's a great kid and a great wrestler. I was only giving my pick. I think whoever wins the Blanton/Ashford match wins 145.

I know Ashford very well. Don't be too enamored with records. Don't think Scott had the toughest schedule. I love his athletic ability. I could see him in the finals but he ain't beating Heidorf and his experience. JMO. Remember last year. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon when he pulled the upset at regions and it then went to state and didn't do as well as people thought. I think he's improved. We will see.

Well, Ashford has beaten Dorne (2x), Bailey, and Phelps (3 of the top 7) and a state placer from Tennessee.  Had a chance to wrestle Heirdorf at the Rumble but Heirdorf was hurt ( I think).   So he has wrestled and beaten some studs.  And yes, last year he had a disappointing State Tourney.  He is a different wrestler this year.  I agree it won't be easy, but I think he is certainly in the mix.  145 comes down to Heirdorf, Ashford, Andreoni or Blanton.

Cradle,

Obviously you really are lacking in wrestling knowledge!! Go sit by the coaches of every school and you wil hear 99% of them screaming chop him down , grab a wrist , look for the half, and the far wrist. That's how wrestling goes. They do not grab ear lobes and hair to turn the opponent. Maybe they should of told him to let him up give him some sympathy points. Get him an ice cream! C' mon and just stop wasting your breathe making up excuses for a loss. All wrestlers lose but it's what they learn from the loss that makes them a better wrestler not a sore loser!

so having a fractured wrist doesn't matter? Andthey told the kid to focusit before the match not making excuses but I think you will all be suprised when you see Davis when he is healthy next year and trust me he won't move a weight class to avoid mulachy but again he won and we will have to see next time they wrestle

Bad weather will potentially be the biggest upset at date this year. It's unfortunate that so many counties are facing massive amounts of snow. This will undoubtedly hinder practices all week and could even prevent some schools from traveling. I'm crossing my fingers that this doesn't end up being true. These kids deserve the opportunity to showcase their hard work.

I second that sentiment.  Hopefully all will be able to compete. 

However those alternates better stay on the ready.  Since KHSAA now has the roll down method of filling every wt. class.  Kids from other regions may fill some spots. 

so having a fractured wrist doesn't matter? Andthey told the kid to focusit before the match not making excuses but I think you will all be suprised when you see Davis when he is healthy next year and trust me he won't move a weight class to avoid mulachy but again he won and we will have to see next time they wrestle

So are you saying the WV staff sent Mulcahy out there with a primary strategy of attacking the bad hand? I personally coached Braden all weekend and was in the chair during the match in question. I can tell you this. I didn't talk to him about any injury before, during, or after that match.

So are you saying the WV staff sent Mulcahy out there with a primary strategy of attacking the bad hand? I personally coached Braden all weekend and was in the chair during the match in question. I can tell you this. I didn't talk to him about any injury before, during, or after that match.

Really huh? So I guess braden hand fought with Davis and seemed like he only grabbed his taped up hand I actually might havefootage of the match and I will look, and finally it's just opinions not saying WV did focus it just looked like it. I really hope these two wrestle again to prove a point and that's all I'm saying done with this topic came to talk about upsets not just one single match

I'm not sure I understand the problem if he did target the hand.  Wrestling is about finding your opponents weakness and taking advantage of it.  If  you know he is heavy footed on his right foot you attack the right foot.  If you worked the neck for 2 periods with a double grapevine half and its weak you attack the neck with more halves.   

Bottom line who won, and did they do it within the rules.  

So a wrestler with a fractured wrist is not going to affect his wrestling? So if that is the case why did the WV coach keep telling Mulachy to go for that wrist? You most not understand how important a wrestler's grip is to them. You may want to learn more about wrestling then.

I know for a fact the John Roth or Jason Moore would not tell there kid to purposely grab and try to hurt a kid. That's not why they're in the sport. Wrist control is a big thing in wrestling. He was probably yelling get hand control!! Cradle you have to be from cooper.

I think that both of these young men wrestled their butts off at regions and to say one was upset by the other is a knock at both young men.  The match was decided and they moved on why can't two or three grown men move on?

I personally think the biggest upset out of region 6 was a returning state placer and 8th ranked wrestler not even making the state tourney.  Holden from CC took a lose from Chaffee (ryle) and Hensley (scott) and is now the alternate.  Region 6 is tough as nails.

That was a huge upset saw both matches and was very suprised!

Chafee and Hensley are both very good....Hensley was ranked 6th in the state (ahead of Holden) and had already beaten Holden this year, so I wouldn't have necessarily called that an upset.  132 was super tough with 5 excellent wrestlers.....someone was going to get bumped, and whoever it was, could have done well at state. 120, 126, 113 were some other weight classes in that region where 1 or even two very good wrestlers were bumped out.