halfhalfhalf

upsets

Mulachy (8th Grader from WV) did upset Davis to get to the 3rd/4th round but Davis didn't have his best match plus he had a fractured wrist. Without the fracture the match would have been a lot different.

Didn't Davis forfeit to Wiley in the semi's to have a much better result in the wrestlebacks? 

Didn't Davis forfeit to Wiley in the semi's to have a much better result in the wrestlebacks?

no he forfeit to Wiley because wiley is known for purposely trying to injure other wrestlers and Davis having the fractured wrist wouldnt be good for him. If Davis was healthy, he would have wrestled Wiley.

That's terrible that anyone wrestler would be known for that.  That being said, there is a wrestler in region 7 known for the same thing.  Also unfortunately there is starting to become a team known for those types of shenanigans in general, which I hate to see.  If it's more than one wrestler in the same program I think you need to look at what's going on in that room.

Mulachy (8th Grader from WV) did upset Davis to get to the 3rd/4th round but Davis didn't have his best match plus he had a fractured wrist. Without the fracture the match would have been a lot different.

So, are you saying that Davis would have beaten Mulcahy if it wasn't for his fractured wrist? 

That's terrible that anyone wrestler would be known for that.  That being said, there is a wrestler in region 7 known for the same thing.  Also unfortunately there is starting to become a team known for those types of shenanigans in general, which I hate to see.  If it's more than one wrestler in the same program I think you need to look at what's going on in that room.

I totally agree

So, are you saying that Davis would have beaten Mulcahy if it wasn't for his fractured wrist?

To be honest with you yes I do. Davis having the fractured wrist made it hard to grip for him and he couldn't get any tight waist. I also believe that he wasn't wrestling to his potential, his cardio just pooped. I think he could have beaten him with a fractured wrist if he wrestled like he did the first day beating Barrie 12-3 and Holt 10-3. I hope they get a rematch next year at some point because I think that DavIs will beat him easily when he's healthy.

To be honest with you yes I do. Davis having the fractured wrist made it hard to grip for him and he couldn't get any tight waist. I also believe that he wasn't wrestling to his potential, his cardio just pooped. I think he could have beaten him with a fractured wrist if he wrestled like he did the first day beating Barrie 12-3 and Holt 10-3. I hope they get a rematch next year at some point because I think that DavIs will beat him easily when he's healthy.

You just made me laugh.  He lost to Mulcahy because of a tight waist and not being in shape?  You think he will beat him easily if he can get a "tight waist"?  You realize he's a middle schooler that only wrestles for 4.5 min matches and Davis wrestled 6 min matches all season.  Cardio?  That's funny.  Sounds like you're making excuses for Davis...to be honest. 

no he forfeit to Wiley because wiley is known for purposely trying to injure other wrestlers and Davis having the fractured wrist wouldnt be good for him. If Davis was healthy, he would have wrestled Wiley.

Its not like your from cooper or anything. Lol

You just made me laugh.  He lost to Mulcahy because of a tight waist and not being in shape?  You think he will beat him easily if he can get a "tight waist"?  You realize he's a middle schooler that only wrestles for 4.5 min matches and Davis wrestled 6 min matches all season.  Cardio?  That's funny.  Sounds like you're making excuses for Davis...to be honest.

you read what I said wrong bud. I said davis couldn't connect a tight waste cause of his fracture and he couldnt get a cratle either because of his fracture. Also DAVIS has only been wrestling for 3 years and being able to get 5th at regionals with a fractured hand is impressive. He didn't have a good match neither plus the kid was targeting his fracture. And it wasn't a matter of cardio being the problem as much as his energy level. I would bet money if they face next year when davis is healthy he will tech or pin him easily.

Its not like your from cooper or anything. Lol

lol Im not from cooper I just like to watch wrestling.

So a wrestler with a fractured wrist is not going to affect his wrestling? So if that is the case why did the WV coach keep telling Mulachy to go for that wrist? You most not understand how important a wrestler's grip is to them. You may want to learn more about wrestling then.

Those wrestlers you mention aren't on the same level as Mulcahy.  This year was probably Davis's best chance to beat him.

Those wrestlers you mention aren't on the same level as Mulcahy.  This year was probably Davis's best chance to beat him.

for example to show you how davis can beat Mulachy. Mulachy vs Allen and won 4-2 and davis vs allen and won 16-8 by taking him down at will when davis was healthy, plus at that point davis weighed 131. So I strongly believe davis could beat mulachy. He only has been wrestling since freshman year and hung with mulachy with a 7-3 match with a fractured wrist. So overall I think davis is a lot better of a wrestler.

you read what I said wrong bud. I said davis couldn't connect a tight waste cause of his fracture and he couldnt get a cratle either because of his fracture. Also DAVIS has only been wrestling for 3 years and being able to get 5th at regionals with a fractured hand is impressive. He didn't have a good match neither plus the kid was targeting his fracture. And it wasn't a matter of cardio being the problem as much as his energy level. I would bet money if they face next year when davis is healthy he will tech or pin him easily.

Brayden spent the entire year in the middle school room this year.  He made it to a handful of high school practices.  I do know this.  Brayden will be in a freshman next year and will be rolling around with Roth, Moore, Mcmillian, Peace, and Smith this summer and next season.  I assure you that coach Roth and coach Moore will have him ready for next year.  I don't want to make any predictions but I would have to guess that Davis will not "tech or pin him easily".  

One thing about our high school schedule is that most of our kids will have double digit losses due to the brutal schedule that we wrestle.

It's all practice until post season.

Hopefully Davis recovers and has a great season next year.  I just have a hard time with all the bashing on Brayden.  He is a great kid.

Brayden spent the entire year in the middle school room this year.  He made it to a handful of high school practices.  I do know this.  Brayden will be in a freshman next year and will be rolling around with Roth, Moore, Mcmillian, Peace, and Smith this summer and next season.  I assure you that coach Roth and coach Moore will have him ready for next year.  I don't want to make any predictions but I would have to guess that Davis will not "tech or pin him easily".  

One thing about our high school schedule is that most of our kids will have double digit losses due to the brutal schedule that we wrestle.

It's all practice until post season.

Hopefully Davis recovers and has a great season next year.  I just have a hard time with all the bashing on Brayden.  He is a great kid.

im not bashing on mulachy, he is a good wrestler. I just said that davis could have beat him while he was healthy and I strongly think he could. As well as saying mulachy is on a different level than Barrie and holt. He only beat Allen 4-2 and Allen only beat Barrie like 7-6 and holt beats Allen. That's all I have to say. Mulachy is a great wrestler being an 8th grader doing what he did but I simply have my opinion.

for example to show you how davis can beat Mulachy. Mulachy vs Allen and won 4-2 and davis vs allen and won 16-8 by taking him down at will when davis was healthy, plus at that point davis weighed 131. So I strongly believe davis could beat mulachy. He only has been wrestling since freshman year and hung with mulachy with a 7-3 match with a fractured wrist. So overall I think davis is a lot better of a wrestler.

I'm not saying Davis is terrible.  Mulcahy is a still maturing 8th grader that has a solid track record wrestling in national level events, and has a middle school state championship and runner up finish under his belt.  As was mentioned he's moving into a competitive high school practice room and will only get better.  He has a very high upside, and will likely be a high school state placer in the near future (although not likely this year).  And lets stop mentioning how long guys have been wrestling.....it's irrelevant.  You don't get bonus points for having less experience and guys can get better and compete for regional and state titles pretty quickly.  For example, Tony Ashford from Scott last year became a regional champ with only 3 years of wrestling and very little off season work.  

• Downvote 1

Tony Ashford is a freak of nature. He is probably one of the most athletic kids I've ever seen. And Davis had his first year of actually wrestling regionals his freshman year he had a concussion and his sophmore year he got beat out of his spot by Kyle Steiner.this year he had to wrestle with a fractured arm and got 5th for only 3 years of experience. And experience is relevant, how many kids have been wresting for only 3 years and turn out to be a beast (other than Ashford he is a freak lol)? I guess we will see if they ever wrestle again and than compare, only way and hopefully they are both Healhy if they do.o

I am with Dutch on his comments.  

I think Walton's wrestlers are very technical and hand fight better than any of the schools I witnessed at the Region 6 tournament.  I really don't think anyone intentionally would go after a perceived injury.  In this case, a wrist, or hand for that matter, is the very first point of contact most wrestlers attack for position and set-up.  It is instinct for these wrestlers.  Let me also say this...I know I would like to have my son have the ability to drill with the crew he mentioned on a daily basis. Finally, injuries are unfortunate.  I admire Davis' courage to compete accordingly.  This speaks to his compassion for the sport and the loyalty he has to his teammates.  However, Mulcahy beat him and deserves the glory associated with the win.  End of story.  

Since you guys kept bringing Allen into the picture.  Allen pinned Davis at Central after he was beating Davis by about 6, then lost to him at the jaguar 18-6.  Yes he beat Berrie 7-6 twice this year.  

The reason I bring this up is because wrestlers with different styles cause some wrestlers problems and they don't win by a big margin. 

So you can't measure one wrestler by how he wrestled against another wrestler.  Only if he won or lost. 

So a wrestler with a fractured wrist is not going to affect his wrestling? So if that is the case why did the WV coach keep telling Mulachy to go for that wrist? You most not understand how important a wrestler's grip is to them. You may want to learn more about wrestling then.

You're so very right.  I have a lot to learn about wrestling. 

What's a tight waste or a cratle?  Sorry, had to do it.  ;)  Not his cardio, but his energy level....don't they go together? C'mon man! 

I'll take you're bet that Davis will pin or tech Mulcahy easily next year.  PM me and we can set the over and under on time as well.  Let's make it double or nothing if the reverse happens. 

I'll give it to Davis wrestling injured.  That's tough and I like the kid.  I'm sure he doesn't need you to put a target on his back either. 

Coming from a coach of 25 yrs plus and just an observer of the Davis vs Mulcahy matchup. To accuse another coach of targeting a kids injury is absurd! I' m pretty sure of the 7 points scored by Mulcahy one was a double leg takedown, the other two were slideby duck unders and one escape. Both duck unders ,right hand on neck left hand on Davis right wrist. And the same position for the double leg. Believe Davis has a injured left wrist . Don't consider that attacking a kids injury. As for how Davis could've beaten This scrawny little eight grader if he was healthy is like saying Mulcahy could have beaten Spahr if he could've had more time to train and was able to bench 300 lbs. I give credit where credit is due. Walton coaches are doing an incredible job of teaching the art of wrestling! Not to muscle an opponent but to actually out wrestle them. Every opponent is different therefore you must find their weakness. Mulcahy was told to wrestle the legs and stay away from these guys upper body strength. He did that and scored the necessary points to win. You win in the state finals 1-0 or you win by a pin. You are still State Champion! Good luck to all region 6 qualifiers this weekend.

Coming from a coach of 25 yrs plus and just an observer of the Davis vs Mulcahy matchup. To accuse another coach of targeting a kids injury is absurd! I' m pretty sure of the 7 points scored by Mulcahy one was a double leg takedown, the other two were slideby duck unders and one escape. Both duck unders ,right hand on neck left hand on Davis right wrist. And the same position for the double leg. Believe Davis has a injured left wrist . Don't consider that attacking a kids injury. As for how Davis could've beaten This scrawny little eight grader if he was healthy is like saying Mulcahy could have beaten Spahr if he could've had more time to train and was able to bench 300 lbs. I give credit where credit is due. Walton coaches are doing an incredible job of teaching the art of wrestling! Not to muscle an opponent but to actually out wrestle them. Every opponent is different therefore you must find their weakness. Mulcahy was told to wrestle the legs and stay away from these guys upper body strength. He did that and scored the necessary points to win. You win in the state finals 1-0 or you win by a pin. You are still State Champion! Good luck to all region 6 qualifiers this weekend.

Well said and great synopsis of the match, but you can't talk Mr. Anon out of his bet now.  :blink::D

No matter what either of us say we will have our own opinions, we will just have to wait and see if they wrestle again.

Cradle,

Obviously you really are lacking in wrestling knowledge!! Go sit by the coaches of every school and you wil hear 99% of them screaming chop him down , grab a wrist , look for the half, and the far wrist. That's how wrestling goes. They do not grab ear lobes and hair to turn the opponent. Maybe they should of told him to let him up give him some sympathy points. Get him an ice cream! C' mon and just stop wasting your breathe making up excuses for a loss. All wrestlers lose but it's what they learn from the loss that makes them a better wrestler not a sore loser!