Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

State dual qualifiers

In the section 2 qualifier the date was changed and was confusing as to which date was the correct one.  Let alone it finally being held on the middle school district day, which does not allow for a team to be at 100%.  Maybe not a big deal for the big schools, but for the small schools its a big deal.  

In the section 2 qualifier the date was changed and was confusing as to which date was the correct one. Let alone it finally being held on the middle school district day, which does not allow for a team to be at 100%. Maybe not a big deal for the big schools, but for the small schools its a big deal.

I have to disagree on your point about being small or big. Or being 100%. I was at a small school the last 2 years and only had maybe 8-10 weights and young kids. But I went to section duals, and finished toward the bottom both times. But you know what, I felt it was my obligation as a coach for the state, not just my team to support what the association is trying to do. Could I have not gone, yes. But some things always aren't about out individual teams, it's about building wrestling as a whole and being united. I get Coach McCoy's frustration and hopefully more will eventually make the sacrifice for the better of all.

With the original date we were going to make the effort to go and probably would have, but we were obligated financially to another tourney when the date was changed.  Our head coach is ticked about the whole situation.  

One team was not able to travel to wrestle multiple duals on a weeknight. The date was changed to accommodate and several schools apparently were already committed for the second date.

With the original date we were going to make the effort to go and probably would have, but we were obligated financially to another tourney when the date was changed. Our head coach is ticked about the whole situation.

See, there is a difference in that and the first statement. I understand financial issues and the schedule issue, but you made it sound like cause you weren't a 100% you didn't want to go.

And "make an effort"? That's why we need a change in mentality. It needs to be a priority, just like regions is to qualify for state

The MS thing had and effect on Male as well. To those that say well I know I don't have a shot, so why go? In Big School Section 6 we have Trinity and X. Both in the top three. Every team still attended.

Yes that is true.  Our hands were tied.  If we would have forfeited the money to the other tourney our school would have had a fit.  On top of that if we would have qualified we would not have been able to go because our school would not have sprung for the hotel stay, heck they complain when we have to stay for the state tourney. 

Ok. I understand not being able to go for financial reasons because it is Union. But I do not like that teams use that as an excuse. Your sectional should have made a date for everyone to attend. Sectionals were done geographically.

I think maybe is should be like Ohio is doing. They spread it out over the 2-3 weeks before state duals.  Allows for a couple of duals on the weekdays every week.  No weekend is disturbed for those who have been attending tourneys for years.  And yes I know the OHSAA sanctions the event and forces them to do so. 

As I said before, all the sectional qualifiers should be on a Saturday, just like the regional tournament. Traveling on a school night to wrestle several duals just isn't possible; they wouldn't get home until early in the morning. Having them all on the same date makes the most sense but I would settle for just having it on a Saturday.

So here is the issue. We don't want a common date because of tournaments teams have been in forever. But we can't find a common date to make it work. Something has to give.

Yes that is true. Our hands were tied. If we would have forfeited the money to the other tourney our school would have had a fit. On top of that if we would have qualified we would not have been able to go because our school would not have sprung for the hotel stay, heck they complain when we have to stay for the state tourney.

Consider yourself lucky you get any school help. Fayette County does not give a dime to any program. Not transportation, tournament fees, equipment, nothing! It's all raised by the team.

We did that Bulldog. Teams still didn't attend. Where's the compromise

We just said they had to be done by January 17th yet 19 schools chose not to attend.

:I'm all for more matches. We use to use our NKAC tourney as our qualifier.  One year we had round robin duals in 2 days.  I started with 5 wrestlers on the 1st day and only had (1) on the second day and wrestled 5 duals with 1 wrestler.  I did it but would never do it again.  It was embarrassing to the one wrestler I had to watch 13 kids get there hand raised after he wrestled (he was a 106 lber)  He was an 7th grader who begged be to just forfeit his match, but I refused. 

We did that Bulldog. Teams still didn't attend. Where's the compromise

We just said they had to be done by January 17th yet 19 schools chose not to attend.

I know it's an assumption, but I would have to guess that out of the teams that choose not to compete, none had a chance in you know where to qualify, so they just didn't go. Let's get real, that's the main reason no matter what they say. There are exceptions and I get it, but not every team has those issues

Sign in to follow this