Sign in to follow this  
firemans34

Fern Creek Gladiator

OK, someone's got to say it....What the heck was with the college dual before the finals?!?! I am completely on board with trying to promote KY college wrestling, but a full dual before the finals starting after 6:30? I spoke with many people from many schools and not one person was happy with that decision. Many said a 3 match exhibition would have been palatable. Nobody knew it was happening and we were kind of held hostage if you wanted to watch the finals of the tourney. Not sure if the West Virginia team had planned on heading home, but getting on the road at 8-8:30 vs. after 10:00 must have been a bummer.

Once the finals started.....

Klein vs. Tucker was a good, close match. Tucker wins

2 former state champs Vega vs. Hurst was another barn burner. vega wins

Heidorf and WV state champ was close. Heidorf wins.

Barton vs. Belk was most entertaining match. Barton pins in last few seconds.

Trinity 220 (smith I think) beats WV kid. Refs did poor job of stopping potential fight. WV kid got flagrant misconduct and coaches had to separate kids rather than refs.....horrible. Smith wins in end.

Those were the memorable matches.

I agree Firemans, it was a good idea at the wrong time. Those bleachers were nearly full at 6pm. When the spectators started getting word of the college dual match it started to get thin. Not to mention the poor finalists waiting that long to get going and go home. WV team and parents were going to have a long drive home.  Questionable judgement on the tournament director.  Or whoever he is.

Yeah Vega vs. Hurst was a barn burner with Vega getting a five point throw in the 2nd and Hurst getting three takedowns to close the gap in the 3rd...

Belk told me after his match Barton was a buzz saw, never got tired.  He told me he can't wait to go again, but he won't lift him 8 times and put him back on the mat.  He said Dad, the kid's motor never stopped, and I was gassed.  Great job Barton.  Hope to see you and my son in the finals.

Bc s heavyweight surprisingly dominated.  Excellent tournament.  Loved the Hudson vs West virginia boy.  The boy tried to throw Hudson lol very poor decision.

Sign in to follow this