Sign in to follow this  

My only complaint about youth state...

Why don't the age bands coincide with USA Wrestling's? USA Wrestling age divisions were chosen for a reason. Just curious why we (KYSWA) choose to deviate. We insist on USA wrestling membership for all wrestlers but don't follow the divisions.

Why don't the age bands coincide with USA Wrestling's? USA Wrestling age divisions were chosen for a reason. Just curious why we (KYSWA) choose to deviate. We insist on USA wrestling membership for all wrestlers but don't follow the divisions.

You will still have a 2 yr difference in divisions, so again a 2001 January birthday kid can be wrestling a 2002 December kid just as a 2005 January kid and a 2006 December kid could be wrestling.  It also doesn't mean the older kids is going to win!!!

Maybe that is why there are weight guidelines also......

Should we start excluding the younger kids that are great wrestlers from wrestling with the "older" kids???

Each state has a choice of it's own guidelines just as each state uses their own guidelines for other rules, schedules, requirements, fees, officials, ect.... 

Valid question. As I mentioned earlier our league has determined the max age and it all flows down from there. A 2 yr age band is a 2 yr band. Unless there is some magic age where all kids magically mature it doesn't really matter how they are grouped.

We have to establish some type of guidelines to operate under. I think the process we use now is the fairest to all the kids. One year your the younger in the age grouping and the following year your the older. No different than AAU! Let's keep up the good work and keep moving the State forward. I love what were doing!

• Upvote 1

We have to establish some type of guidelines to operate under. I think the process we use now is the fairest to all the kids. One year your the younger in the age grouping and the following year your the older. No different than AAU! Let's keep up the good work and keep moving the State forward. I love what were doing!

gameface, you are so right keep moving the state forward, we have a great event already and it can only keep getting better with people like you involved, and of course many others too.....