Sign in to follow this  
jim

advice greatly appreciated

I have a son turning 2 next month and would love for him to wrestle my question is what is a good age to start training him

Jim, it really depends on the kid.  We've had 4 year olds that have done really well and 6 year olds that have struggled. Most youth tournaments start at age 5. 

I suggest you get him out early.  If he's enjoying it and not being disruptive, then keep him going.  If he's not having fun, don't force it.  He'll have a bad first impression of the sport and end up a basketball player!

Wrestling is a sport where early training definitely pays off. The only down side is possible early burnout. It is really difficult for a kid to "take a year off" to try another sport and then come back at the same level. It can happen (Blanton), but he's an exception rather than the rule.

I dont want to force him to do anything and I never wrestled i fell in love with the sport wathing my little bro wrestle he didnt start until 6th grade I just think if o get him wrestling with my bro at an early age it will be natural where he wants to wrestle when he gets older just curious how young to try and start teaching him the basics and I really appreciate all the info provided just shows how much people really love this sport

I dont want to force him to do anything and I never wrestled i fell in love with the sport wathing my little bro wrestle he didnt start until 6th grade I just think if o get him wrestling with my bro at an early age it will be natural where he wants to wrestle when he gets older just curious how young to try and start teaching him the basics and I really appreciate all the info provided just shows how much people really love this sport

I put him a cradle and barely hold just to teach him to escape i realize i cant start conditioning or full out practice just curious as to what age I could slowly teach him moves

It totally depends on the kid. My three year old loves wrestling (really he just loves everything his oldest brother does). When he was about 2 1/2, he started wanting to wrestle with his brother, and he actually tried to do things the right way. At three, he has a great stance and can take a really nice high crotch. He knows how to turn with a half and get a cross face cradle. When he's behaving, I take him to youth practice because I'm there anyway with his brothers. He does all the warm up (bear crawl, crab walk, forward rolls, etc...) and stretches, but he doesn't drill with the other kids yet. We will probably let him do a little more next year.

The Russians don't teach their kids technique until age 12. I've known kids who started running around wrestling rooms at age 2. Until middle school the focus needs to be on having fun and building a passion for the sport, not on wins. Don't let him get discouraged if he loses a lot, I've seen elementary school champs amount to basically nothing. In terms of training, focus more on agility and such at this young of an age, try to teach them technique this young and they'll just end up developing bad habits

Really !! the Russian dont teach their kids technique untill 12 !!

I wouldn't blanket statement the biggest country on the face of the earth on a subject in a sport that is pretty much as varied as far as training and technique as it can get about the age when a kid starts to do anything ,

What one red is doing in one time zone at 12 another five time Zones away may be doing at 4 !!!

And don't believe what you read or are told and only half what you see!!!

Of course as we all know you can't generalize anything. The 12 year old statistic was told to me by Zeke Jones when discussing training young children and how to help the US freestyle program. I'm not saying every single Russian in the vast Russian nation trains their kids like that. But I'm pretty certain early training is focused more on athleticism, strength, quickness, flexibility, etc then the American obsession of memorizing every move in the world. so when it comes time to learn the moves they are physically capable of them. we've all seen kids struggle with a move they don't have the physical capabilities to perform.

I have heard similar things about the Russians as far as warming up flexibility and such , I just think that it's part of a mystique they like to provoke about themselves , I think some people keep what they do behind the iron curtain .to themselves !!

Sign in to follow this