Sign in to follow this  
J.W.

Middle School Coaches Registration Requirement

Week one is down.  As many have found out this weekend, there is a requirement for coaches to register with the KSWA IOT to sit in the corner of the mat and coach.

You must have your USA Coaches Card number.

Have your CPR and First Aid certificates to upload on a computer.

Have your documentation that you completed the KHSAA Safety course.

Then go to http://www.kyusawrestling.com/forms1/form.html and register.  It takes 2 minutes to complete.

You will receive your coaches card within 24 hours (usually faster).

Thanks for the bump JB. This is a REQUIREMENT! Coaches please get it done today. Parents make sure your coaches get this done or your kids will be competing in the post season without a coach.

KHSAA oversight and regulation is coming, in some form, to all middle school sports.  I personally applaud the efforts of the board to engage KHSAA, and I appreciate their proactivity in trying to help structure how any MS wrestling oversight and regulation gets handed down.  The sport and the board and coaches that care about it at the MS level can be a valuable resource to KHSAA, and they can help to shape its future structure.  Or, we can all sit back and watch as MS wrestling has its future structure dictated to it. 

If I'm not mistaken many other sports have no similar statewide board structure at the MS level, at least none that I'm aware of.  It will be very interesting to compare the smoothness of wrestling's KHSAA oversight transition to some of the other popular sports, esp. those that don't already have organizational structure / don't engage KHSAA proactively, in a few years.  

At any rate, for this year our board has certainly made meeting and submitting the new coaching requirements pretty darn easy.  

• Upvote 2

KHSAA oversight and regulation is coming, in some form, to all middle school sports.  I personally applaud the efforts of the board to engage KHSAA, and I appreciate their proactivity in trying to help structure how any MS wrestling oversight and regulation gets handed down.  The sport and the board and coaches that care about it at the MS level can be a valuable resource to KHSAA, and they can help to shape its future structure.  Or, we can all sit back and watch as MS wrestling has its future structure dictated to it. 

If I'm not mistaken many other sports have no similar statewide board structure at the MS level, at least none that I'm aware of.  It will be very interesting to compare the smoothness of wrestling's KHSAA oversight transition to some of the other popular sports, esp. those that don't already have organizational structure / don't engage KHSAA proactively, in a few years.  

At any rate, for this year our board has certainly made meeting and submitting the new coaching requirements pretty darn easy.  

I can attest to no other sport having the same level of proactive movement, as I coach football as well.  These requirements are what is required at the high school level, and quite honestly, I'm all for over certification than under certification.  And for the record, these requirements are basic, and simple to get done, and the registration through the website takes less than 5 minutes to complete.

Well this hoop was voted on at the state meeting and I am pretty sure it was passed like 17-2. Is it really to much to ask for all coaches to get a background check by USA wrestling. They have to do a CPR class to maybe save a life or to do first aid training. I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. They put this out in Sept.

Here's your hoop. Now jump through it. This is a lot of nonsense (IMO) to allow kids to wrestle. Get your USA card then turn em loose!

The USA Card requires a background check to rule out: Drug, Sex Offender, Domestic Violence, Alcohol related incidence’s…  Do you want one of these people coaching your kid?  

The CPR and first aid course (basic) is to protect the kids and coaches.  The Good Samaritan stuff rule gets tossed out the window once somebody gets hurt and someone does something wrong causing more damage.

Ya is it petty, does it take some effort on the coaches part to meet the requirements, yes.  But it safe guards kids, coaches and programs should an unfortunate incident happen.

There are lawyers just searching the news looking to jump on any incident, fast than those buying power ball tickets last night.

If you’re a coach you’ve know about this since the season began, don’t put yourself at undue risk for that parent or lawyer looking to hit a jackpot….quit putting it off and get it done and if you’re not a coach what’s the problem…

Here's your hoop. Now jump through it. This is a lot of nonsense (IMO) to allow kids to wrestle. Get your USA card then turn em loose!

I stated I am for the USA cards.

Message boards you gotta luv em...lol!

Lord forbid you have a different opinion then a certain cliche on here.

Listen I understand it's a rule now, that's fine. I was just stating my opinion that having a USA card should be enough to let kids wrestle. You disagree, fine. I respect that. Quit being rude by talking down to people on a message board. Just state you disagree and move on. I don't understand why some people want to be so rude, I don't get it.

Isn't a tournament suppose to have on site EMTs. Not sure but I thought so. I know football and basketball do. Well at least here in the southeast they do.

It needs more than disagreement because coaches are dragging their feet. And we aren't putting more requirements on kids. USA card is fine for them. What we are doing is getting coaches more trained to protect the kids and doing what we can to protect the kids from men that should not be in that position. Yes most events have trainers but events make up one day of the week. Just guessing here but I bet more injuries occur in practice then at meets and coaches need to be able to address issues quickly in those situations.

Thanks for the level head response Ranger.

Your probably right about more injuries in practice than in competitions.

But everyone have a Merry Chrstmas and good luck to all the wrestlers in the state. I love watching Ky wrestling get better and better. With the group of young kids we have now, I see nothing but great things in wrestling for our Ky wrestlers.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.  You always have choices.  

1.  Meet the requirement and your team can compete in events.

2.  Don't meet the standards and cost your team the opportunity to compete in anymore events.

3.  Move!

Just don't come on the net on January 17th (Day before Districts) and think I will be sitting around to process the cards.  My cut-off for processing any coaches cards will be all those received by 31 December 2013 (1 month after the original deadline).  January 1, you will have to get the league president to force my hand and from all of the cooperation, I don't know how much support you will get on that end.

I will be hosting District 2 - so won't be around that week to process any cards.

Thanks to all of you who have been timely in registering and I have tried to be just as rapid on turning around your card. 

Good luck to all.

JW

I was not at either of the meetings, and have no problem with the coaches cards.   I am curious as to how the district/region/state hosts plan on enforcing only the proper coaches will be in the corners.  In years past, anyone and everyone has been on the floor regardless of what the host school says, along with half of the team members are in corners along with parents and friends lining the sidelines.  I have my MS coaches card, only have a couple of kids on my team.  This is a start, but arm bands don't seem to stop anyone.  You hate to be rude to parents, but some just won't take a hint and you can't have police everywhere.

Thanks JW for turning the cards out so quickly!

I would think the card on a lanyard around your neck would be easy to enforce.  You have it, stay on the floor, you dont go back in stands.  

Kinda like in football you have a getback coach, gonna have to have a get off the floor coach, lol. 

Keith Smith paid for some nice Kentucky USA Wrestling Lanyards for the cards.  If they have a coaches card they will be able to be on the floor.  If they don't they will get one up to the stands warning.  The second time they will have to listen to the radio broadcast from their car..........it will be silent since we are not to that point yet unless Ranger has another trick up his sleeve like FloWrestling coming to stream the finals.