Sign in to follow this  
Chris Duke

Time to change the youth format

Raidercoach we took your advise we traveled to find better competition.  The crazy thing is we found it and they are using set weight classes.  I think it's time for Kentucky to follow suit and change the way we run our state tournaments.  

Cutting weight is there it is also there in our system.  It might not be as noticeable still there.  If we are loud enough we can change things to make it better for Kentucky and the kids coming up in the programs.  

Raidercoach we took your advise we traveled to find better competition. The crazy thing is we found it and they are using set weight classes. I think it's time for Kentucky to follow suit and change the way we run our state tournaments.

Cutting weight is there it is also there in our system. It might not be as noticeable still there. If we are loud enough we can change things to make it better for Kentucky and the kids coming up in the programs.

Show up to the coaches meeting and make your suggestions. I, unfortunately, will be in California during the meeting. But, I will be there in spirit.

Show up to the coaches meeting and make your suggestions. I, unfortunately, will be in California during the meeting. But, I will be there in spirit.

When and where is the meeting?  I will try to make it and voice my opinion.

Not sure where it is, but it is Sunday May 19th. I'm pretty sure those meetings are for coaches only. If you're a coach, you should attend. If not, I'd at least let your coach know what you want expressed.

Not sure where it is, but it is Sunday May 19th. I'm pretty sure those meetings are for coaches only. If you're a coach, you should attend. If not, I'd at least let your coach know what you want expressed.

Exactly. I believe the intent is coaches only but I've never seen anyone turned away.

As for the location it was supposed to be Danville but we just found out about a schedule issue so I am about to post a revision to the location.

Exactly. I believe the intent is coaches only but I've never seen anyone turned away.

As for the location it was supposed to be Danville but we just found out about a schedule issue so I am about to post a revision to the location.

Is this a Middle School meeting or a Youth meeting?  If its Middle School its a little more black and white.  If its Youth its hard to tell who is a coach and who isn't.

Chris, it's not a secret the top national tournaments have set weight classes. (History lesson) Our state had set weight classes too and adapted to help make the tournament better. I know you weren't around for those days, but the people that ran the tournaments were intellegent people that changed the format to help promote the sport, which at the time, was pretty much non-existent in our state at the youth level. Fast forward 10 years or so, and our #'s and wrestling have never been better at all levels. So my question for you is: why do you think NOW "is the time to change the youth format?" You and your boys attend a couple national tournaments and we should now go back to the format that we originally had? Is it possible that you (and a few others) are ONLY looking at change for how if affects YOUR kids? I consider you a friend, love your kids, and respect your opinion, but be honest about why you want change.

This idea that some of us are unwilling to change by a few of you is unfounded. I'll gladly change my opinion if someone can show evidence that set weight classes is better for OUR state. As mentioned (for years now) as soon as the #'s warrant qualifiers, our state will ultimately go towards some set weight class format I suspect. That was the original plan when the 10% rule was implemented. Until then, run the #'s, as I have multiple times. If you choose a format and examine the results, you'll draw the same conclusion I have: w/out qualifiers, set weight classes in our state w/ the current # of kids creates more issues and makes our tournament a mess. If you're hellbent on seeing set weight classes, become a coach and help recruit more kids to our sport! We need about 500 or so more to justify qualifiers.

By the way, we had a wrestler from our club attend the TOC and had 6 kids in his weight class...the same # he had at our state. How is that possible? This is the largest one day tournament in the world!

Also, I have to believe, the weight cutting that goes on in those tournaments is in a complete different stratosphere than in our state. We've heard of 50 lb kids dropping 8 lbs!! Is anyone in our state aware of that type of weight cutting going on? I'm aware of kids and teams dropping a couple lbs before the final weigh ins (still think its moronic), but nothing that extreme. Maybe I'm naive, I just don't believe that excessive weight cutting is widespread in our state.

Matt - I agree with you completely. It isn't necessary and as it stands there are only negative benefits without any tangable positive benefits.

BTW - when is the youth and middle school meeting? I've seen nothing on it. I have heard a rumor that the state wants to eliminate wrestling clubs and go to an all school program? This is idiotic and impossible to do. Would this mean one elementary school is a team? What about kids that don't go to public schools?

Jim H

Again, by setting weight classes you are attempting to fix a problem we do not have. Participation in youth wrestling in this state is very high. Competition level raises with the number of kids involved. Not sure why everyone is so set on having set weight classes. I have yet to hear how it raises the competition level. Because the brackets are bigger?? All that does is cut down on the amount of kids winning/ placing at state and takes away a very good motivational tool. I have neve heard. Kid win state and then go home unsatisfied because th competition level was subpar. Kids don't care. Egomaniac parents may care, but this sport is not about the parents... It's about the kids!!

First let me say My son will wrestle in youth state regardless of the setup. Secondly I would prefer set weight classes but I understand why some don't want/like them. But if you don't think some kids(not all but some) feel unsatisfied based on competition just ask Blue next time you see him. Was he happy to win state the times he's won it sure. But did he think the tourney was very tough, best, or most fun he had wrestling I'm positive what his answer will be.

Saying that were ok with any setup and will show up to wrestle no matter which it is.

P.S.

JD u da man

I know its not going to change I just like to get people talking about it.  I think we are 8-10 years away from it.  I can't help myself I love to stir the pot and Raidercoach is always a good person to call out he's not afraid to mix it up on here.

As for egomaniac parents, the coaches that know me know I'm not one of them.  I don't care if they come out on top or bottom of the match as long as they are good sports and give it their all.

Again, by setting weight classes you are attempting to fix a problem we do not have. Participation in youth wrestling in this state is very high. Competition level raises with the number of kids involved. Not sure why everyone is so set on having set weight classes. I have yet to hear how it raises the competition level. Because the brackets are bigger?? All that does is cut down on the amount of kids winning/ placing at state and takes away a very good motivational tool. I have neve heard. Kid win state and then go home unsatisfied because th competition level was subpar. Kids don't care. Egomaniac parents may care, but this sport is not about the parents... It's about the kids!!