Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Team KY schoolboy national duals

Full day of Greco on tap today. Start with Oklahoma blue, then Delaware, then bye, then Georgia, and Minnesota 2.

Get online and catch some of the action today. I think we got the butterflies out yesterday and are ready to wrestle today.

We beat Delaware 28-18. I think we are coming around. Some great throws and body locks to the back in that dual. Brady wells and Ray Karl Irving. And Blake Denny using a simple half for a pin.

Wow, I see a lot of heart being given. What a great learning experience. Go Team Kentucky!!!

Wow, I see a lot of heart being given. What a great learning experience. Go Team Kentucky!!!

Oh yeah. Its not reflected in all of the win loss records but It is amazing to see how much these kids have learned and progressed in just 2 days of competition. I can easily see all these kids having a lot of success next season and beyond.

Lost to Kansas silver 43-23. Every dual we have a couple kids who look great and a few who struggle. If we could get everyone on at the same time we could be dangerous. Every kid has had moments of brilliance and ouch moments.

Ok. Final day is upon us. Hope to finish on a good note with 4 big matches. I'm wearing down a bit so I'm sure the boys are getting tired. After a bye this morning here is the schedule:

Delaware - rematch from our team win in Greco

Wisconsin white

Maryland

Oklahoma blue - rematch from Greco

I'm very proud of these young men. Most on our team never wrestled matches in these styles (GR and FS). To come to an event of this caliber speaks volumes to the heart these kids have. Although the results weren't always in the way they would have like it to be, just the experience alone was a great opportunity for them all.

I'm glad that these guys decided to take on this opportunity. I cannot speak enough on how proud I am of these guys. They battled hard everyday and I hope that more kids decide to wrestle in these types of events in the future. It only will make our sport grow in our state. Not to mention its just another step in putting Ky Wrestling on the map at national level events!

Special thanks to Jason Moore for making all this happen. He was the main person in the driver seat on this! Thanks for all you do Coach Moore!! To many of the HS wrestlers and other coaches that helped train these kids for this event, such as Coach Yenter, Sean Fausz, Dave DeSteFano, and Im sure Ive missed a few, but thank you all!!! To Brandon Cornett, not only is he a great coach and really relates to these guys, but he opened up his fieldhouse so these guys would have a place to train. To the parents, thank you for your patiences and letting you kids be apart of this. It was an honor for me to be able to sit in their corner and coach! To Keith Smith and KY Wrestling, thank you for this great opportunity and with the resources to make this all possible! Last, to All the kids. Big Thank You to you guys. It's because of you all that gives guys like us, the opportunity to coach and be apart of these awesome memories.

Great Job to Team KY (Schoolboy)!!!!

I'm very proud of these young men. Most on our team never wrestled matches in these styles (GR and FS). To come to an event of this caliber speaks volumes to the heart these kids have. Although the results weren't always in the way they would have like it to be, just the experience alone was a great opportunity for them all.

I'm glad that these guys decided to take on this opportunity. I cannot speak enough on how proud I am of these guys. They battled hard everyday and I hope that more kids decide to wrestle in these types of events in the future. It only will make our sport grow in our state. Not to mention its just another step in putting Ky Wrestling on the map at national level events!

Special thanks to Jason Moore for making all this happen. He was the main person in the driver seat on this! Thanks for all you do Coach Moore!! To many of the HS wrestlers and other coaches that helped train these kids for this event, such as Coach Yenter, Sean Fausz, Dave DeSteFano, and Im sure Ive missed a few, but thank you all!!! To Brandon Cornett, not only is he a great coach and really relates to these guys, but he opened up his fieldhouse so these guys would have a place to train. To the parents, thank you for your patiences and letting you kids be apart of this. It was an honor for me to be able to sit in their corner and coach! To Keith Smith and KY Wrestling, thank you for this great opportunity and with the resources to make this all possible! Last, to All the kids. Big Thank You to you guys. It's because of you all that gives guys like us, the opportunity to coach and be apart of these awesome memories.

Very well said Bearcat Coach. Thanks to you and all involved in helping KY Wrestling grow.

I would have to mirror all the comments from Bearcats Coach. As a parent and a fan I have never seen a group of boys fight as a hard as these have. I know Roger Jr alone left Indy with a greater respect of the sport and even more hungry to succeed then he was before the event.

Coaches and kids did a fantastic job. I was very proud of how they handled themselves. We actually could have won 30-40% of the duels if we had a full roster. The kids held up well physically. I encourage more folks to come out next year. Both of my boys had a great time and would do it again. Both have a greater appreciation for the sport and want to improve their wrestling.

Before I provide a travelogue for the event, I have to give a huge thank you to Keith Smith and KY USA Wrestling.  These national dual events are not cheap and it would be very difficult and much, much more expensive without the support of Keith. 

This was a gruelling event.  4 days (5 counting weigh-ins) against some of the best schoolboy age competition in the country. 

Following are the individual results:

70 - forfeit

77 - Bradley Miller (EJ Hayes) with a record of 0-3 in Greco and 0-6 in Freestyle; 0-9 overall.  I believe he won an exhibition match.  Bradley missed weight for 70 by a pound so he was a very small 77.  For a number of duals we forfeitted 70 and 77 and wrestled them as exhibitions.  A couple things really stood out to me for Bradley as well as his brother.  These boys are extremely flexible.  Many times I saw arms or legs bent well beyong a normal range of motion and they never batted an eye.  These boys were also very tough mentally.  It was obviously a long, tough weekend, but when you looked at their face you could tell they were staying strong and focused and never gave up or passed up an opportunity to get on the mat. 

84 - Shay Horton (Ryle) with a record of 1-4 in Greco and 0-4 in Freestyle; 1-8 overall. Shay also missed weight so he was a very small 84 pounder.  This was exaggerated as the 84s seemed really big for nearly every team.  Shay really lead the charge of our team getting comfortable in Greco.  Against North Carolina Shay got aggressive and exemplified what the coaches were preaching to the boys.  He attacked early and often and got a big win that seemed to get the team to be more aggressive.

84 - Brandon Miller (EJ Hayes) with a record of 0-2 in Greco and 0-3 in Freestyle; 0-5 overall.  I believe he won an exhibition match.  Brandon also missed weight so he was a very small 84 pounder.  Brandon and Shay shared matches at 84 and wrestled a few exhibitions at 77.  See comments for his brother.  Same applies.  One thing on the Millers.  These boys were both very respectful to the coaches and kept a great attitude through a very tough week.

91 - Blake Roth (Walton) with a record of 2-5 in Greco and 4-3 in Freestyle; 6-8 overall.  He also had an exhibition win over a PA kid.  Blake was very streaky and while he got a little down on himself on Friday and Saturday, he finished with a bang going 3-1 with another exhibition win on Sunday.  Blake was another small guy for his weight class only weighing about 86 wrestling 91.  The little guy was up for the challenge.  One night at dinner he thought he was Lebron James challenging our 6'11'' waiter to a basketball game.

98 - Ryan Moore (Campbell Co) with a record of 2-5 in Greco and 4-3 in Freestyle; 6-8 overall.  He had a great opportunity to wrestle an exhibition match with freestyle freak and Flo ranked #29 overall junior high kid Brian Stuart from Maryland.  Ryan may have put in more mat time than anyone with a hand full of 6 minute matches on an aching knee and unfortunately lost a couple matches on last second moves.  He was also on the bad end of a 5 point throw against Minnesota and got some serious air time on a belly to belly.

105 - Brady Wells (Campbell Co) with a record of 3-4 in Greco and 0-7 in Freestyle; 3-11 overall.  Brady came in as our "experienced" wrestler with a handful of freestyle/greco matches.  He was another underweight kid and lost a couple of weird freestyle matches (last second takedown and one where he got sick), but battled all week in both styles.

112 - Mason Smith (Walton) with a record of 4-3 in Greco and 5-2 in Freestyle; 9-5 overall.  Mason continued his Team KY roll and wrestled great all week and generally even looked good in his losses.  This was a tough weight class and Mason stepped up and battled with some of the best kids there.  One of the most improved wrestlers in the state over the last couple years and efforts like this will only continue that progression.

120 - Roger Young (Meade Co) with a record of 2-5 in Greco and 1-6 in Freestyle; 3-11 overall.  120 was scary tough.  There were a lot of really big, athletic, experienced kids at this weight.  And Roger is relatively inexperienced so winning anything at all was an accomplishment.  Roger does some things really well.  He is very strong and battles to the end and when he gets a good coach to lead him along he will win a lot of matches.

128 - forfeit

136 - forfeit

144 - forfeit

152 - forfeit

160 - Blake Denny (EJ Hayes) with a record of 5-2 in Greco and 2-0 in Freestyle; 7-2 overall.  Blake suffered a stinger early in the day on Sunday that kept him out of a few duals.  He was a very coachable kid whom we worked with on a very simple "leg lace" which was more like a lower body bear hug and he used it to perfection in his 2 freestyle wins.

160 - Chanse Lanham (Shamrock) with a record of 5-2 in Freestyle; 5-2 overall.  The Dragon has some adversity that prevented him from making it to weigh-ins on Wednesday night, so he missed Greco.  But he cheered the team on and weighed in on Friday for Freestyle.  Chanse was always looking for the big move hitting a great lateral drop in his first match of the day; probably would have been exciting to see him in Greco.

175 - Ray Karl Irving (EJ Hayes) with a record of 5-2 in Greco and 3-4 in Freestyle; 8-6 overall.  He also wrestled a couple exhibitions.  As a first year wrestler Ray is very impressive.  He has a lot to learn, but his athletic ability and strength give him the ability to be successful very quickly.  If he learns to bring his football attitude to the mat, look out.

190 - forfeit

210 - forfeit

265 - forfeit

I could probably go on and on for pages about the kids, but I just provided some highlights.  I wish all of these young men success in the coming season.  I'm confident the hard work they are putting in this offseason will benefit them immensely. My goal for this event was: 1) to represent our state and ourselves with class, 2) be good teammates, and 3) learn.  I think each and every kid met all of these goals to some extent.  We were competitive, wrestled hard, and showed good sportsmanship.  With the records above, each kid had highs and plenty of lows at some time or another and the boys really tried to pick each other up.  And the progress they made over the course of just a couple days was amazing.  Their learning curve, particularly in Greco, was amazingly short. 

Thanks to Roger Young for taking our team pictures and for setting the coaches up at the Staybridge Suites.

Last, but definitely not least, thanks to all of the coaches around the state that are supporting freestyle and greco efforts.  Coach Roth, Coach Cornett, and I still have a lot to learn, but are committed to increasing our knowledge.  I enjoy coaching with these guys; they do a great job coaching these young men.  Coach Roth is great at getting them fired up and working with them on technique.  As mentioned above, Coach Cornett does a great job connecting with the kids and making sure they are having fun.  He also does a good job keeping the technical stuff simple.

I hope we have much more interest in this schoolboy group next year as well as those moving up to be cadets.  Let's get out there and show the nation that KY is on our way up and making progress fast.

Glad to see that Kentucky will be represented at this tournament this year.  It is the toughest tournament for this age group anywhere in the country.

That or Holiday Duals in Virginia Beach.  Very tough.

Before I provide a travelogue for the event, I have to give a huge thank you to Keith Smith and KY USA Wrestling.  These national dual events are not cheap and it would be very difficult and much, much more expensive without the support of Keith. 

This was a gruelling event.  4 days (5 counting weigh-ins) against some of the best schoolboy age competition in the country. 

Following are the individual results:

70 - forfeit

77 - Bradley Miller (EJ Hayes) with a record of 0-3 in Greco and 0-6 in Freestyle; 0-9 overall.  I believe he won an exhibition match.  Bradley missed weight for 70 by a pound so he was a very small 77.  For a number of duals we forfeitted 70 and 77 and wrestled them as exhibitions.  A couple things really stood out to me for Bradley as well as his brother.  These boys are extremely flexible.  Many times I saw arms or legs bent well beyong a normal range of motion and they never batted an eye.  These boys were also very tough mentally.  It was obviously a long, tough weekend, but when you looked at their face you could tell they were staying strong and focused and never gave up or passed up an opportunity to get on the mat. 

84 - Shay Horton (Ryle) with a record of 1-4 in Greco and 0-4 in Freestyle; 1-8 overall. Shay also missed weight so he was a very small 84 pounder.  This was exaggerated as the 84s seemed really big for nearly every team.  Shay really lead the charge of our team getting comfortable in Greco.  Against North Carolina Shay got aggressive and exemplified what the coaches were preaching to the boys.  He attacked early and often and got a big win that seemed to get the team to be more aggressive.

84 - Brandon Miller (EJ Hayes) with a record of 0-2 in Greco and 0-3 in Freestyle; 0-5 overall.  I believe he won an exhibition match.  Brandon also missed weight so he was a very small 84 pounder.  Brandon and Shay shared matches at 84 and wrestled a few exhibitions at 77.  See comments for his brother.  Same applies.  One thing on the Millers.  These boys were both very respectful to the coaches and kept a great attitude through a very tough week.

91 - Blake Roth (Walton) with a record of 2-5 in Greco and 4-3 in Freestyle; 6-8 overall.  He also had an exhibition win over a PA kid.  Blake was very streaky and while he got a little down on himself on Friday and Saturday, he finished with a bang going 3-1 with another exhibition win on Sunday.  Blake was another small guy for his weight class only weighing about 86 wrestling 91.  The little guy was up for the challenge.  One night at dinner he thought he was Lebron James challenging our 6'11'' waiter to a basketball game.

98 - Ryan Moore (Campbell Co) with a record of 2-5 in Greco and 4-3 in Freestyle; 6-8 overall.  He had a great opportunity to wrestle an exhibition match with freestyle freak and Flo ranked #29 overall junior high kid Brian Stuart from Maryland.  Ryan may have put in more mat time than anyone with a hand full of 6 minute matches on an aching knee and unfortunately lost a couple matches on last second moves.  He was also on the bad end of a 5 point throw against Minnesota and got some serious air time on a belly to belly.

105 - Brady Wells (Campbell Co) with a record of 3-4 in Greco and 0-7 in Freestyle; 3-11 overall.  Brady came in as our "experienced" wrestler with a handful of freestyle/greco matches.  He was another underweight kid and lost a couple of weird freestyle matches (last second takedown and one where he got sick), but battled all week in both styles.

112 - Mason Smith (Walton) with a record of 4-3 in Greco and 5-2 in Freestyle; 9-5 overall.  Mason continued his Team KY roll and wrestled great all week and generally even looked good in his losses.  This was a tough weight class and Mason stepped up and battled with some of the best kids there.  One of the most improved wrestlers in the state over the last couple years and efforts like this will only continue that progression.

120 - Roger Young (Meade Co) with a record of 2-5 in Greco and 1-6 in Freestyle; 3-11 overall.  120 was scary tough.  There were a lot of really big, athletic, experienced kids at this weight.  And Roger is relatively inexperienced so winning anything at all was an accomplishment.  Roger does some things really well.  He is very strong and battles to the end and when he gets a good coach to lead him along he will win a lot of matches.

128 - forfeit

136 - forfeit

144 - forfeit

152 - forfeit

160 - Blake Denny (EJ Hayes) with a record of 5-2 in Greco and 2-0 in Freestyle; 7-2 overall.  Blake suffered a stinger early in the day on Sunday that kept him out of a few duals.  He was a very coachable kid whom we worked with on a very simple "leg lace" which was more like a lower body bear hug and he used it to perfection in his 2 freestyle wins.

160 - Chanse Lanham (Shamrock) with a record of 5-2 in Freestyle; 5-2 overall.  The Dragon has some adversity that prevented him from making it to weigh-ins on Wednesday night, so he missed Greco.  But he cheered the team on and weighed in on Friday for Freestyle.  Chanse was always looking for the big move hitting a great lateral drop in his first match of the day; probably would have been exciting to see him in Greco.

175 - Ray Karl Irving (EJ Hayes) with a record of 5-2 in Greco and 3-4 in Freestyle; 8-6 overall.  He also wrestled a couple exhibitions.  As a first year wrestler Ray is very impressive.  He has a lot to learn, but his athletic ability and strength give him the ability to be successful very quickly.  If he learns to bring his football attitude to the mat, look out.

190 - forfeit

210 - forfeit

265 - forfeit

I could probably go on and on for pages about the kids, but I just provided some highlights.  I wish all of these young men success in the coming season.  I'm confident the hard work they are putting in this offseason will benefit them immensely. My goal for this event was: 1) to represent our state and ourselves with class, 2) be good teammates, and 3) learn.  I think each and every kid met all of these goals to some extent.  We were competitive, wrestled hard, and showed good sportsmanship.  With the records above, each kid had highs and plenty of lows at some time or another and the boys really tried to pick each other up.  And the progress they made over the course of just a couple days was amazing.  Their learning curve, particularly in Greco, was amazingly short. 

Thanks to Roger Young for taking our team pictures and for setting the coaches up at the Staybridge Suites.

Last, but definitely not least, thanks to all of the coaches around the state that are supporting freestyle and greco efforts.  Coach Roth, Coach Cornett, and I still have a lot to learn, but are committed to increasing our knowledge.  I enjoy coaching with these guys; they do a great job coaching these young men.  Coach Roth is great at getting them fired up and working with them on technique.  As mentioned above, Coach Cornett does a great job connecting with the kids and making sure they are having fun.  He also does a good job keeping the technical stuff simple.

I hope we have much more interest in this schoolboy group next year as well as those moving up to be cadets.  Let's get out there and show the nation that KY is on our way up and making progress fast.

Well said, great recap. Thank you for your support.