Sign in to follow this  
MLee

Youth Team Scores error

Because I was unclear that it would happen at all if that piece had changed. I'm on record that I personally am fine with anything that promotes our sport and increases the numbers. I am equally on record that we should not vote on things that we are not going to implement. I am guilty of not being aware of said bylaw. When voted on, I don't recall it being close or much discussion afterwards. Could someone have spoken up then?

I should know in a few days if the 3/30 TOC date is on at Fern Creek. Someone else posted earlier the difficulty of holding it at a Catholic school during Holy week.

OK, I guess what I'm getting at is, why can't you promote the TOC because of team scores at the Youth State Tournament?  There is no link between the two.  One is our annual state tournament, the other is a post-season tournament.  Are they even keeping team scores at the TOC?  I admit, I know very little about this event.

We agreed to preserve the tradition of team scores for many reasons, which we'll discuss at the next meeting. I'm confident the vote will go much differently next time and hopefully we can move forward to bigger issues.   

The TOC remedied the idea of not keeping team scores as was voted on. So, according to this bylaw is the 2014 state meet not keeping scores and if voted on again this year back with team scores in 2015? Whatever, it's all good.

The TOC remedied the idea of not keeping team scores as was voted on. So, according to this bylaw is the 2014 state meet not keeping scores and if voted on again this year back with team scores in 2015? Whatever, it's all good.

Are you suggesting that the TOC was attempting to determine a KY youth team title? I don't know how a tournament after the season could accurately determine a team title. Many kids stop wrestling after state and most teams stop practicing after state as well. I'm not criticizing the tournament or the fine people putting it together, I just don't understand why you would stop promoting it because teams scores were kept at state.

"A quorum at the annual meetings will be composed of 20% of the governing body of the KSYWA. All action items that involve rule changes, bylaw changes, or expenditures of money must pass a vote of 50% plus 1 member of all present voting members at a statewide meeting. Action items that pass a vote at the statewide meeting will then be voted on by member teams through regional representatives. There will be no voting by proxy at the statewide meetings. Regional representatives will make a reasonable effort to contact member teams within their region to record their votes on voting issues. Member teams are responsible to keep contact information for their designated team representative up to date on the KSYWA website(http://www.kyswa.org)."

This is the voting process as written in the by-laws. Now ask yourself, did this occur? I can assure you it didn't; therefore, the vote was void. In addition, when our region got together, we agreed (unanimously) on keeping the team scores, but w/ levels to appease those who voted. Also, we ran the idea past the youth President and he signed off on the idea.

Personally, I thought the results were great and have heard nothing but positive feedback regarding how it was done. No scoring system is perfect. Look no further than our HS tournament. There are many who feel they should seed the tournament and how it would have drastically impacted this year's results. I'd argue duals are a better way to evaluate team strength.

At the end of the day, I'm in favor of all formats, but would like to preserve what the past leaders of our state created at our youth level.

"A quorum at the annual meetings will be composed of 20% of the governing body of the KSYWA. All action items that involve rule changes, bylaw changes, or expenditures of money must pass a vote of 50% plus 1 member of all present voting members at a statewide meeting. Action items that pass a vote at the statewide meeting will then be voted on by member teams through regional representatives. There will be no voting by proxy at the statewide meetings. Regional representatives will make a reasonable effort to contact member teams within their region to record their votes on voting issues. Member teams are responsible to keep contact information for their designated team representative up to date on the KSYWA website(http://www.kyswa.org)."This is the voting process as written in the by-laws. Now ask yourself, did this occur? I can assure you it didn't; therefore, the vote was void. In addition, when our region got together, we agreed (unanimously) on keeping the team scores, but w/ levels to appease those who voted. Also, we ran the idea past the youth President and he signed off on the idea.Personally, I thought the results were great and have heard nothing but positive feedback regarding how it was done. No scoring system is perfect. Look no further than our HS tournament. There are many who feel they should seed the tournament and how it would have drastically impacted this year's results. I'd argue duals are a better way to evaluate team strength.At the end of the day, I'm in favor of all formats, but would like to preserve what the past leaders of our state created at our youth level.

Still curious of the final youth team scores. As your schedule permits, please post the scores.

At the meeting, we kind of made a "big deal" out of having a Tournament of Champions to address the issues of inequities in team scoring as well as the inequity of elementary age kids wrestling on middle school teams. Your use of that clause has under minded the good intentions

of offering wrestlers an opportunity at a TOC for Kentucky Youth Wrestling. Under minding is a bit strong. Diminished would be more appropriate.

I'm just curious myself because if there was such a "BIG DEAL" about having a TOC for KY youth then why is it that no one has known anything until this past weekend?   Because I've been looking for info since December and NOTHING was posted with any details.

Then I wonder, if it was a "BIG DEAL" is 3 weeks before the (scheduled...?) event a proper time to figure out where it is to be held due to a conflict of where it was supposed to be held? 

Also I'm just curious but a TOC  would stand for a Tournament Of Champions, meaning individual not team so how did team trophies at KY youth state effect.... I'm sorry, diminish the opportunity for individual kids competing?

And lastly, because you know I'm just a female and I must not know much about these things, but if we are going to have a KY TOC I would think that if you are going to state that it will be for only the top 4 placers at youth state along with other invitees you would probably want those top 4 placers to know they are invited.  Well, I can tell you right now I know of at least 40 top 4 placers at KY youth state that have no clue as to this "BIG DEAL" KY TOC and I know this for fact because my child is one of those kids along with about 39 other kids off hand on our team along with other teams who have not heard a word about this "BIG DEAL".   So, it seems as if in the above mentioned meeting you must have focused more on not having the team trophies at KY state youth tourney instead of getting together the details for this KY TOC (A.K.A "BIG DEAL").  Am I missing something because if I am please feel free to let me know I do wear my big girl pants and can handle if I'm incorrect about something.

Because I was unclear that it would happen at all if that piece had changed. I'm on record that I personally am fine with anything that promotes our sport and increases the numbers. I am equally on record that we should not vote on things that we are not going to implement. I am guilty of not being aware of said bylaw. When voted on, I don't recall it being close or much discussion afterwards. Could someone have spoken up then?

I should know in a few days if the 3/30 TOC date is on at Fern Creek. Someone else posted earlier the difficulty of holding it at a Catholic school during Holy week.

This is the most I've seen any info about the KY TOC and I believe it was just posted the other day.  There has been a date on USA Wrestling but no details or information for any questions.  Again if I'm incorrect please let me know where I should have been looking.  I know if I type in TOC on any search engine it pulls up lots of details and even a website for Ohio TOC which has all of its details and I believe they even opened up their site a few months back.  That would be the tourney where if you child places in the top 3 at qualifiying events they are given a slip of paper with the information sometimes months in advance I do believe.

"A quorum at the annual meetings will be composed of 20% of the governing body of the KSYWA. All action items that involve rule changes, bylaw changes, or expenditures of money must pass a vote of 50% plus 1 member of all present voting members at a statewide meeting. Action items that pass a vote at the statewide meeting will then be voted on by member teams through regional representatives. There will be no voting by proxy at the statewide meetings. Regional representatives will make a reasonable effort to contact member teams within their region to record their votes on voting issues. Member teams are responsible to keep contact information for their designated team representative up to date on the KSYWA website(http://www.kyswa.org)."

This is the voting process as written in the by-laws. Now ask yourself, did this occur? I can assure you it didn't; therefore, the vote was void. In addition, when our region got together, we agreed (unanimously) on keeping the team scores, but w/ levels to appease those who voted. Also, we ran the idea past the youth President and he signed off on the idea.

Personally, I thought the results were great and have heard nothing but positive feedback regarding how it was done. No scoring system is perfect. Look no further than our HS tournament. There are many who feel they should seed the tournament and how it would have drastically impacted this year's results. I'd argue duals are a better way to evaluate team strength.

At the end of the day, I'm in favor of all formats, but would like to preserve what the past leaders of our state created at our youth level.

I personally think there is always room for improvement but I can say after this being my 5th year involved at the youth level, 4 of those being on the floor things are running smoother and you all did a great job.  And I agree keeping some of the past preserved is important along with growth to the sport!  I think the levels/divisions for team trophies were the best decision and an extremely fair compromise.  I'm glad to see that a region was able to get together and make a decison that would benifit all teams in the state not just the big teams. 

If you look two topics below this one in the youth forum, you will see one that says First Annual Kentucky State Tournament of Champions. All the info is there.

If you look two topics below this one in the youth forum, you will see one that says First Annual Kentucky State Tournament of Champions. All the info is there.

Yes, I was able to see that when it was posted on March 9th (2 days ago)  as I was asking before where it seemed that if this KY TOC was going to be such a big deal I would have thought it would have been posted sooner than 3 weeks before having it with all the details so that wrestlers could prepare for it.  I was looking forward to such an event when I heard there was going to be one but only believed it to be a myth since there was no info on it.  I hope it turns out to be a great event but again I'm still wondering how they will be notifiying the participants about this event?  Do you have any ideas on how they will be doing this?

My understanding is that the youth coaches are supposed to be passing the info to qualifying kids. Obviously, most teams are no longer practicing, so this could be difficult. We are going and hoping it will have a nice turnout.