Sign in to follow this  
sbfraz

Cardinal Clash 2/2/2013

CARDINAL CLASH

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 2, 2013

TAYLOR COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL

300 Ingram Avenue, Campbellsville KY, 42718

ENTRY FEE: $12/WRESTLER ($4 PER SPECTATOR, CHILDREN UNDER 5 FREE)

ELIGIBILITY: ANY WRESTLER 4 YEARS OLD thru 8TH GRADE WHO DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR THE MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE TOURNAMENT. ALL WRESTLERS MUST HAVE A CURRENT USA WRESTLING CARD (KY LEAGUE CARD OR FULL USA CARD).

FORMAT: 8 MAN BRACKETING WITHIN 1 YEAR OF AGE AND 10% OF BODY WEIGHT, DOUBLE ELIMINATION. 4-MAN OR LESS BRACKETS WILL BE WRESTLED AS ROUND ROBINS. TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO COMBINE BRACKETS IF NECESSARY.

AWARDS: 1st PLACE TROPHIES, AND MEDALS FOR 2ND AND 3RD

ONE OUSTANDING WRESTLER TROPHY WILL BE AWARDED TO EACH DIVISION

SESSION 1

9:00AM-1:00PM (CHECK IN BY NO LATER THAN 8:30AM)

ALL WRESTLERS IN Pre-K/K, 1st/2nd Grade and 3rd/4th Grade

SESSION 2

1:30PM-5:30PM (CHECK IN NO LATER THAN 1:00PM)

ALL WRESTLERS 5th/6th Grade and 7th/8th Grade

RESERVE YOUR TEAMS SPOT ASAP. WEIGH-INS AT YOUR PRACTICE EITHER MONDAY JANUARY 28 OR TUESDAY JANUARY 29. ALL ROSTERS MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN WEDENESDAY JANUARY 30 BY 9:00 PM IN EXCEL FORMAT (I WILL EMAIL YOU BLANK EXCEL FORM TO FILL IN ONCE YOU RESERVE YOUR TEAM’S SPOT). NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 30 , NO EXCEPTIONS!

PLEASE CONTACT:

SPENCER ADAMS AT spencer.b.adams@gmail.com

SARAH FRAZIER AT 270-403-8886 or sarahanddewayne@yahoo.com

I wouldn't have a problem with it but it's the same day as MS state as far as I understand. We'd love to have you guys come down. It would definitely increase the level of competition.

We just ordered the 1st place trophies. They are really nice, 16 inch trophies! The kids will love them! The OW trophies are really nice too. We have several confirmed and twice that many that have expressed interest. It should be a great tourney.

If you are short in coaches because of MS State but still would like to send your youth and MS kids who don't qualify, let me know, and we will work something out. We can allow their parent to coach, assign a college wrestler to coach or let them wrestle with another team. It's all about the kids, no team scores, so send them over. We will make sure they are taken care of.

We have 9 teams confirmed and over 20 who have requested information or expressed interest. It's not too early to reserve your team's spot. Remember you can also send individual wrestlers if your coaches will be at MS state. Contact info is on the first post in the feed.

Just a reminder: the first place and OW trophies are really nice:)

We may be looking for a place to go next weekend.  Will there be big numbers?  I don't want to travel 2 1/2 hours for my boys to be in a weight class with only one or two wrestlers. The one I'm worried about is my 84/85 pound third grader.

Chris - We have several teams confirmed but I won't know how the brackets look until late Wednesday. I sent you a message about it.

Several teams have already confirmed attendance. It should be a good event. It's the same day as Middle School State, so we are opening  it up to all middle school wrestlers who don't qualify for state, even if they are starters. Nice 16 inch trophies will be awarded for first place and medals for 2nd-4th. We will also be awarding one Outstanding Wrestler trophy for each division. 

Send me an email if you would like to attend, and I'll send you a sample roster. Please save the roster in your club's name and email it to me by 9:00pm Wednesday. Notice that there is a space for each wrestler's record and accomplishments, If you can give this information, it will help with some seeding and voting for the Oustanding Wrestler awards. If you do not have the information, it is ok to leave it blank.

Also, we will be doing weight checks as soon as wrestlers arrive. Once they arrive, they will weigh in wearing a singlet. A one pound allowance will be given. If a wrestler is more than 1.0 pounds over the maximum weight for the bracket, a $10 rebracketing fee will be collected. Since you will be conducting evening weigh ins at practice, every wrestler should easily be able to make their registered weight with a one pound allowance.

$10 re-bracketing? Are you serious? We're talking about youth wrestlers here. If an 8 year old chows down breakfast enroute to the tournament I'd fully expect him to be a pound off.

Just do weighins there if you don't trust the coaches.

Other states do it and it works. They are weighing in the evening at practice and weigh for the tournament in the morning. My son weighs in at practice, and when we go to other states for morning weigh ins, he is always 2-3 pounds less. And he is only a 56 pound 4th grader. Plus we are giving a one pound allowance that can account for a 3 pound or more difference easily.

I don't understand why people are so crazy about weighing in there kids. I'm personally tired of going to tournaments and seeing kids weights challenged and nothing being done when it's 3-4 pounds off. Mailing weigh ins is a joke. The funny thing is if you ask a kid what he weighs, he usually tells the truth.

We are trying something new. Other tourneys charge $15-20 to rebracket their youth events. We are still doing the 10% rule, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Other states do it and it works. They are weighing in the evening at practice and weigh for the tournament in the morning. My son weighs in at practice, and when we go to other states for morning weigh ins, he is always 2-3 pounds less. And he is only a 56 pound 4th grader. Plus we are giving a one pound allowance that can account for a 3 pound or more difference easily.

I don't understand why people are so crazy about weighing in there kids. I'm personally tired of going to tournaments and seeing kids weights challenged and nothing being done when it's 3-4 pounds off. Mailing weigh ins is a joke. The funny thing is if you ask a kid what he weighs, he usually tells the truth.

We are trying something new. Other tourneys charge $15-20 to rebracket their youth events. We are still doing the 10% rule, so I don't see what the big deal is.

I agree, you are doing the right thing by conducting weigh ins and enforcing the re-bracket fee. If you want to attract kids from out of stat then you have to do what the rest of the country is doing. That should be the standard across the board. People that disagree are the ones that are probably doing the wrong thing. Why get mad if you’re registering your child at his/her correct weight?

There's nothing wrong with a re-bracket fee. These tournaments start early most 9am. If your worried about their weight after they eat dinner Friday evening encourage them to wait for breakfast after weight ins Saturday morning. I have a 9 year old 70lber and he never eats prior to weight ins the morning of. I suppose most youth wrestlers do this. Blue is under weight regardless, we just choose to eat a little later on mornings we wrestle. It doesn't hurt them in anyway and no it's not cutting weight to make a 8 or 9 year old wait to eat breakfast around 8 or 8:30.

I wish this tournament was on Sunday the 3rd. Would have really loved to have let Blue wrestle here. Sounds like it will be a great tourney with great competition. Sorry we have to miss it but middle school state is a big honor for a 3rd grader to attend.

The big deal is I don't want to see someone drive 2 hours to get there and then get charged 10 more bucks since little Johnny is 2 lbs heavier than what he weighed 3-4 days earlier.

Why not just weigh in everyone and make the brackets? I've been to plenty of tournaments, too, and it's run smoothly. If that's not an option have a scale matside for challenges. I've been around wrestling as a competitor, ref, and coach a long time. I don't see very many cases of folks fudging weights. (I have seen 12 year old 7th grade girls wrestling in 9-10 year old brackets though.)

Don't mean to be a buzzkill. The trophies sound awesome! We need more and more tournaments like this one to grow the sport. Kudos to you guys for putting this on.

Like I said, we are trying out a concept that is apparently new to KY youth wrestling. We want to run a nice tourney. Most outside the state do it this way. I would hope it doesn't prevent anyone from making the trip. There's almost no way a kid is going to weigh more at 8 am than he does at 7 pm a couple days earlier, and there is still a one pound allowance.

You're also assuming kids are weighing in at 7 pm. My son eats dinner after practice and always weighs more in the morning than he does after practice. Just something to consider.

Not having classes will give a little more flexibility in forming the brackets. Plus, there are a lot that stand firmly by the 10% rule. We didn't want to rock the boat too much :)

It's a trial and error. Hopefully this works. If not, we will happily reevaluate for next year. We hope to make this one of the premier youth events in the state, so we will definitely be open to suggestions for improvement. Thanks for the interest. We hope you all come :)

So far we have kids registered from TN, IN and all over KY. It's looking to be a good event with some strong competition. Make sure you email me your registration. This is the last chance to get some mat time in before regionals and state for the youth wrestlers and a great opportunity for the middle school kids not going to state to get one more event in with some nice awards.

Thanks to everyone who came out today. We had a great day of wrestling. Some of the brackets were smaller than originally expected because of the weather, but the level of competition was really strong, tough kids in every bracket. We look forward to doing it again next year!

$10 re-bracketing? Are you serious? We're talking about youth wrestlers here. If an 8 year old chows down breakfast enroute to the tournament I'd fully expect him to be a pound off.

Just do weighins there if you don't trust the coaches.