Mathound

Youth Wrestling in High School

hrvstrofsrrw are you telling me that if your son wrestled with high schoolers as a middle schooler, and he was better than the high schooler that was at that weight, you wouldnt want him to take the higher place? Doesnt make any sense to me.
  • Upvote 1

I think the more opportunities for any student athlete is important. If you (the coach), parent and student athlete all come to a consensus that the best possible situation is for him/her to wrestle then go for it. If you high school kid gets beat out, that'll teach him to work harder because everything is earned not given. If competition increases in the room fantastic.

Look at it from this point of view, those Jr High kids will be wrestling varsity in 1 or 2 years. They are building rapport with the Frosh and Jrs who will still be there wrestling with them. This will give them a whole new group of friends once they enter high school and it is a great opportunity for them to learn leadership skills. I think most coaches are very happy with the rule and everyone uses their best judgement when it comes to wrestling.

10 Days and counting. I know that my wrestlers and I are very excited for the season to begin. Good Luck to All!!!!