Bluesdad

5th Annual Kentucky State Elementary Folkstyle Championship

How's it false advertising? Every other state has at least 2(most cases more) tournaments with the words "state" and "championship" in it. There's nothing false about it. If you want to come and wrestle that's great, come on down. If not that's fine also. But there will be a great Kentucky State Elementary Championship taking place either way. With some great young talent that can hang with anyone. It's already been proven.

By calling it a "state" championship you are implying that it is the state championship....which it is not. You can call your tournament whatever you want, but it would make more sense and be less confusing if you didn't call it a "state championship" just weeks after the real state championship.

• Upvote 1

Real...you make whats real yourself. If you want to say its not real then go ahead thats fine. But the kids that come and wrestle and leave with bumps and bruises on them will show you just how real it is. Come on down and see what were about.

"Real...you make what real yourself"....no that is not true. The real state youth wrestling tournament was held a few weeks ago in Lexington and that is a FACT. Just because YOU call your tournament the state tournament, doesn't make it so.

I'm a little confused. The "Real" elementary state championships held in Lexington. How, when a majority of the elementary programs in the western part of Kentucky don't have their first tournament until tomorrow? How can you have a state tournament that excludes wrestlers from Union, Christian, Caldwell, Trigg, Calloway, Ohio, & McCracken Counties?

Naplesme, I don't really know how to respond to your comments, but I will start with some questions. Have you ever wrestled before in your life? If so, between what months did you compete? In the rest of the country, is wrestling a Spring or a Winter sport? In fact, can you tell me any area of the country where a college, high school, or middle school team participates in the Spring? I think you know where I am going with this.

Just because those teams you mentioned elect to start their wrestling season after the rest of the wrestling world ends, doesn't mean WE excluded YOU. YOU excluded YOU by not findind a way to participate during the months that the rest of the wrestling world participates. Get a grip...the rest of the wrestling world isn't going to adjust their schedules because a small pocket of a small state can't find a way to get their act together. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this site...and that includes the posts by Mr. Myers.

We are coming down from Huntington and were also wondering how many wrestlers are normally here. Just wanting to make sure it will be worth the drive.

Also, hoping everybody down that way stays clear of the storms!

Due to the storms that hit Johnson County the tourney is cancelled. It will be rescheduled at a later date. Sorry for the slow update but the tornado that hit Johnson Co. I had no internet service. Sorry for the inconvenience.

raidercoach,

In fact I have wrestled, or coached for the last 30 years. I wrestled in Maine and I coach High School, Middle School and Elementary here in Kentucky. Maine doesn't start it's Middle School season until after the High School Season, so there is your example. For some wrestling is a year round sport and they compete all year.

Elementary in Kentucky excludes the western part of the state, because even though the coaches in this part of the state have asked repeatedly to wait a week or two our requests have been ignored. Unlike, apparently many others in the rest of the state most of the coaches in Western Kentucky coach all three levels, so we can't start elementary until at least middle school is over. It's been suggested we get some parent with knowledge to coach the elementary, however that runs into two problems: 1. space and time-where and when would elementary wrestlers practice? 2nd: if my name is on the letterhead, what's it going to look like if I give control to a parent? Then there is this added problem, even if I could get started early, am I supposed to have my varsity wrestlers sit around all day Sunday waiting for the elementary wrestlers to finish competing?

What would be the big deal if we waited two weeks? Last week of February to have a regional, the second week of March to have a real state championship.

I dont understand. Even if they pushed it back, why would you want one of your first tourneys to be a state championship. That is something that is usually built up to and caps off a season. What is wrong with knowledgable parents coaching, our club coaches are usually parents and/or volunteers, what is wrong with that. Where do the lighter weights come from for your middle school team, most of these are usually from the youth based age group. As far as space and time, you would just hold practices at different times and if you allowed parents to help coach then time wouldnt be the issue. What do you mean by varsity wrestlers sitting around all Sunday, our youth and middle tourneys are held separate, and usually on Saturdays. If you allowed people to help its not like you would have to be in two places at one time. Sounds like you guys need more support in your area from parents and others in the community. Not looking for an arguement or questioning your background, it just seems that your circumstances are different than most others in the state. I want the sport to grow and hope that you guys can find a good balance. I know that wrestling goes on year round, but from what I've seen unless you are going out of state to major tourneys then what we would consider off season tourneys usually arent as good as the regular season ones. Even the regular ones out of state, not the major ones, have been a little lack luster compared to our regular season.

• Upvote 1

raidercoach,

In fact I have wrestled, or coached for the last 30 years. I wrestled in Maine and I coach High School, Middle School and Elementary here in Kentucky. Maine doesn't start it's Middle School season until after the High School Season, so there is your example. For some wrestling is a year round sport and they compete all year.

Elementary in Kentucky excludes the western part of the state, because even though the coaches in this part of the state have asked repeatedly to wait a week or two our requests have been ignored. Unlike, apparently many others in the rest of the state most of the coaches in Western Kentucky coach all three levels, so we can't start elementary until at least middle school is over. It's been suggested we get some parent with knowledge to coach the elementary, however that runs into two problems: 1. space and time-where and when would elementary wrestlers practice? 2nd: if my name is on the letterhead, what's it going to look like if I give control to a parent? Then there is this added problem, even if I could get started early, am I supposed to have my varsity wrestlers sit around all day Sunday waiting for the elementary wrestlers to finish competing?

What would be the big deal if we waited two weeks? Last week of February to have a regional, the second week of March to have a real state championship.

Wrestling is a year round sport for many on our team. However, the season is during the same months as the high school and middle school for obvious reasons. Many of the kids play other sports in the Spring. The last thing I would want to do as a coach or parent is force a kid to choose. Furthermore, many of the coaches coach other sports, so you would be asking them to choose also. If all you want to do is change the date of the state tournament for a couple of weeks, that is a different story. You suggested starting the season after middle and high school, and that makes no sense. Would you really want to start your season with the regional and state tournament? That doesn't make sense to me either.

You claiming the rest of the state excludes you is COMPLETELY off base. I began wrestling in the 4th grade back in 1984. When I started wrestling (in Northern Kentucky), there was NO youth wrestling to speak of in Kentucky. I rode the bus from my elementary school, which happened to go back to our high school and joined up with the JV/Varsity high school teams to practice. I had to go across the river to get matches or wrestle jv kids, most of which were in high school. By the time I graduated in 1995, there still were no middle school teams or youth teams in Northern Kentucky. When I graduated from college in 1999, there STILL wasn't any youth or middle schools in this area.

Fast forward just 15 years and we now have amazing youth and middle school programs in Northern Kentucky. I assure you that the all the people responsible for building these programs didn't ask the Cincinnati teams to change their schedule so they can keep up. They made the commitment and sacrifices to make it happen. It wasn't easy and it took some time, but these people had "can-do" attitudes and didn't worry about what they didn't have...as they say Rome wasn't built in a day. We have parents that help out a TON on our team that have never wrestled before. You don't need Dan Gable to run a good youth team. ALL of the obstacles you mentioned in your post are obstacles that every youth team has had to deal with. We have great support and we still have issues with gym time. Many of our coaches don't make it to every practice or tournament. You just do your best with what you got and always look for ways to improve.