Sign in to follow this  
INDIANwrestler

UK WRESTLING???

I will be an incoming freshman at UK this somester I remember last year hearing about a club team possibly starting up.. I was just wondering if somone has any information about a wrestling club at UK.. or if they know anyone at UK who I can talk to .. thanks

I will be an incoming freshman at UK this somester I remember last year hearing about a club team possibly starting up.. I was just wondering if somone has any information about a wrestling club at UK.. or if they know anyone at UK who I can talk to .. thanks

THIS WAS MY LAST CONTACT FOR UK

Jonathan Dale-U of K <jonathan.dale@uky.edu>

Some past wrestlers that I know are currently attending UK are Nick and Heath Chaffin and Drew Trimble. You might want to try contacting them, they would probably know if there is a club team. (You could try finding them on facebook if you have it)

There is a club on Facebook for starting a UK wrestling team but it has been 2 or 3 years now since they have started.  And now with Mr. Dale not being able to do it with, i dont know if anyone else has tried

Peopl have tried to start a wrestling club at UK for years.  No one wants to take the responsibility to do so.  It is kind of a hastle to do so anyhow.  There is only one facility on campus that even has a mat suitable to wrestle on.  Since priority on space goes to clubs that have been established already, a wrestling club would be last on the list.  The only time to get the gym is like at 10 at night...No one wants to do that.

Patrick Keal took on that responsibility last year getting alot of signatures and paperwork that were needed the only thing he was missing was a "certified" coach. This past summer Patrick was diagnosed with cancer so he had to concentrate on his well being and not the club. I talked to Patrick and I decided to take the initiative and finish what he started, I found us a coach who is getting his certification from USA wrestling and will be our certified coach. I also talked to Mark Lattin director of clubs at UK he said once we get the certification everything should go through he really wants our club to get started. As for gym time, I think most of the wrestlers are like me, we will just be happy to be out there wrestling period.

Patrick Keal took on that responsibility last year getting alot of signatures and paperwork that were needed the only thing he was missing was a "certified" coach. This past summer Patrick was diagnosed with cancer so he had to concentrate on his well being and not the club. I talked to Patrick and I decided to take the initiative and finish what he started, I found us a coach who is getting his certification from USA wrestling and will be our certified coach. I also talked to Mark Lattin director of clubs at UK he said once we get the certification everything should go through he really wants our club to get started. As for gym time, I think most of the wrestlers are like me, we will just be happy to be out there wrestling period.

My best wishes and prayers go to Pat. Also, thank you for stepping up to the challenge and organizing the club at UK. this is the first step on the road to reinstatement of the program. We can only wish.

The UK wrestling team used to practice in the wrestling room in Memorial Coliseum.  I'm sure with the demise of the wrestling program in the early 80's and the remodeling of Memorial, this was gutted, but you may want to check on it.  UK had some nationally ranked teams back in the 70's.  I think it would be great for this program to get revived, even as a club level.  Good luck.

If you're looking for a place to wrestle, Ford's Gym (on Versailles Road) used to have a mat and decent space.  This was several years ago so things may have changed, but if you can work out the insurance issues and all that with the owner I'm sure you could get in there for pretty cheap.  Plus, Ford's isn't too far from campus, so it might be worth looking into.

is there any chance of this club turning into a team in the future? it would be nice to have a D1 team in Kentucky again, and that just might give U of L initiative to get one as well...

That's a tough call.  While I'm sure that individual schools can have sports that an entire conference doesn't have (West Virginia has a team, but the entire Big East does not, they compete in a different conference for wrestling), it may be hard to get a school to pick up a new sport that is not supported by the conference.  Plus, if a school adds a men's sport they have to add a women's sport to offer equal roster spots, so that's another consideration.  I don't think it's completely out of the question for the future, although the odds say it is unlikely.

I would like to see more colleges in KY add wrestling, but I think the most likely to add a team next would be Georgetown due to the fact there are already two NAIA schools in the state with wrestling.  It would be awesome if either UK or UofL would add a team, but I think the right person would have to have the right connections at just the right time to pull off a proposal.