Sign in to follow this  
bigedcoach

State Duals Split into Big School/Little School

And thats a great issue Charger, not a whole lot of coaches out there, just like the referees, the number of capable coaches just isnt out there, kind of seperates the haves and have nots. one program might have 4-5 good coaches not including a couple of good coaches in their middle school program. and some programs cant get started because they can find a coach.

I wander if any teams will do like Ryle next year and go somewhere else. It's not cheap to travel and stay in a hotel especially if your competition is going to go way down. I could see Union and Larue going elsewhere.

I wander if any teams will do like Ryle next year and go somewhere else. It's not cheap to travel and stay in a hotel especially if your competition is going to go way down. I could see Union and Larue going elsewhere.

Didn't Ryle go to the GIT this weekend which is way up by Cleveland? I'm assuming that wasn't cheap and they probably stayed in a hotel the night before, but not for sure. I know there were a couple of good Ohio schools there like Wadsworth, but I would say Ryle would have seen some decent competition this weekend at the state duals as well. The competition overall might not have been quite as good (tough to say really), but I don't think it would have been way down. Anyway, back on topic, to me personally, it doesn't matter if the competition goes way down or not, this is a chance for a true team state title so I feel like you should go if you qualify. It would be a lot harder to say no if the state duals were emphasized more.

Dagger,

Next year with the split, I would not argue your point at all. Splitting Union and Larue one way and putting Trinity, Campbell Co, etc the other way would dilute your product. I was speaking more for this year. I don't think the overall competition level would have been much of a drop if any from the GIT and Ryle still elected not to come even though they qualified.

LaRue and Union might be better off meeting somewhere around Beaver Dam and having a dual there. Would save a lot of time and money.

It would be better for both teams. I wonder how many small school teams fill all the weight classes. Would borne good if there are a lot of forfeits.

I would not be in favor of a split. What would it be based on, the football states like Jacket said or do you do it based on total school enrollment since girls wrestle more then play football? Then do you still invite the schools based on the region? If so what do you do if a region doesn't have a small school (or a big school) in it's area or if it isn't really good enough to even compete (ie not a full team). Would you just invite the best 12 teams in small/big divisions, maybe based on what the coaches association office holders vote on?

The split would be based on total school enrollment. I think the last proposal I saw had each class split into 6 sectionals per class and each sectional had 7 or 8 teams. You can't think Region 1 only has X smalls schools and Region 2 only has X smalls schools, etc. Basically, given the cutoff point which as Jacketcoach stated was just over 1,000 and break the schools into Big School / Small School divisions. Map the small schools and break them into 6 sectionals with an even number of teams in each sectional. One sectional may have 8 teams and another may have 7 but they were pretty close to even. There definitely wasn't a huge imbalance like some of the Regions for individual state have. Then, do the same for the Big School division. Like I stated previously, there will be positives and negatives from this. One of the positives I can think of is take schools like Moore and Central in Louisville for instance. They're in Region 4 with Trinity and St. X. Moore and Central have great coaches and pretty decent wrestlers. Overall, they have pretty nice programs, but their chances of going to state duals isn't great from year to year under the current format. Under this format, both of those schools would now be in a small school sectional and would have a good chance to go to state duals. Now for some of the negatives, I think travel will increase which I'm sure for some of the schools out there, that's hard to believe considering what they travel now. Also, and yes I can see this in the Small School division, you may run across some cases where if a team has two or three good wrestlers and can simply field a full team or close to it, they'd qualify for state duals because a lot of the teams in their sectional might start a dual down 18, 24 maybe even 30 points due to not being able to field full teams. I guess we'll see how it all turns out in a couple of years.

teams that cant fill 4 weight classes arent really dual meet teams. I think the football split is best because it goes on the number of boys in your school. Trinity has an enrollment of about 1300 but they are all boys, but Central has an enrollment of around 1000 but only 300 boys. Ryle probably signed a 2 yar contract that they would have good competion guaranteed in case they didnt make state duals.

We could start splitting the state to "years of experience." Wouldn't that be the best competitive advantage? Schools with 1-5 years wrestle each other in their own state duals and indvidual state. That would help the competition level, right?

I know several large schools that can't fill a roster so that argument should be invalid.

Terrible idea. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Let the best teams from each region compete.

• Upvote 1

Moore's chances to go to State Duals are fine. We beat X this year by 3 then lost to them by 1 in the region duals. So we were close to going this year. We also have no seniors.

To the point. I don't think it will bring any more interest in schools adding teams. A lot of A.D.s could care less about adding wrestling. Waggener has not advertised for a wrestling coach in years, or Ballard. They don't want a team.

Our goal this year was to go to state duals. It didn't happen. Was a few points short. With no seniors I am pretty positive we get there next year and compete. It would feel pretty watered down to go to a small school. Atleast for a school like us who is right there.

Waggener has thought about a team this year, at least some of their alumni but that will be put to rest since Bob Redman is coming back to coach there. Ballard would probably have a team if they could find a coach that would be there for more than 2 years and could probably teach in the building