Sign in to follow this  
Confused??

Dennis Walls

Dennis Walls' family is putting on Facebook that he has been nominated for "national wrestling coach of the year" for 2012. How can someone earn such award when he hasn't coached a wrestling match since Feb. of 2010?

Being his family who did post something on Facebook about this let me clear up some things. I asked him today on how he can receive this and he said once you win it once, you are nominated again. It's based more on past achievements really and he told me that most of the people who win the overall award (not just the regional award) are retired in the recent years. Any more questions, send me a private message and I will be sure to figure things out for you.

BTW, I think this award is for all sports and his region goes from Kentucky to Florida. It's not just wrestling coach of the year.

You are nominated again? Or someone nominated him again? Unlikely someone just gets re-nominated just because they have been nominated before. What type of organization is this? It's obviously not from the KHSAA and nor the NFHS. Is this organization credible? Still confused??

I'm sorry you're confused, but it would help if you could read "Any more questions, send me a private message and I will be sure to figure things out for you". Makes me wondering if this thread is an attempt to belittle Coach Walls, which is very classless. If you are trying to say he doesn't deserve this recognition that is your opinion, but he has earned his accolades over the past 30+ years without transplants. This award is through NFHS and the state nominates you if you have the qualifications one of which being that you have coached for at least 25 years. Once again if you have any questions you can send me a private message or post on here about how you are confused.

This is from the release of the recognition of the 2011 coaches of the year found at http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=6480

National Coaches of the Year Selected by NFHS Coaches Association

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (January 10, 2012) — Twenty high school coaches from across the country have been selected 2011 National Coaches of the Year by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Coaches Association.

The NFHS, which has been recognizing coaches through an awards program since 1982, honors coaches in the top 10 girls sports and top 10 boys sports (by participation numbers), and in one “other” category that is not included in these 20 categories. Winners of NFHS awards must be active coaches during the year in which they receive their award. This year’s awards recognize coaches for the 2010-11 school year.

Recipients of the 2011 NFHS national awards for boys sports are:

Why in the world do we get sooooo offended when a certain MrNKY3x poo poos Kentucky wrestling and its coaches, but when we have good news about any of our own coaches, people try to tear it down. I for one, think any coach nominated for such an award should be comended. So, with that being said, if you have a problem with Coach Walls being nominated, go cry and fuss somewhere else. Congratulations Coach Walls, I am proud to know that we have such a well respected coach among us.

I don't think anyone has said anything about being upset by the fact that he has been nominated. I was simply trying to offer FACT based information on someones questions. Good for Dennis Walls. I have not read anything on this post that I would consider fussing. I think someone asked information on the organization which sponsors the award, status required to recieve the award, criteria considered when being nominated, who nominates, etc....

I appreciate your facts, and I didn't consider what you were saying as being upset. But, between confused?? and your previous post, I just felt the need to defend one of our own. No, I'm not an Union Co. alum, but I do appreciate a coach with a body of work such as Coach Walls. All I know is that if we have a Kentucky coach in any sport, especially wrestling, nominated for such an award, we should support them. Once again, I appreciate your research, but whatever the verdict, let's be proud to have Coach Walls as a representative of our sport, and our state.

Not trying to deminish Walls award, but if it's not from the NFHS, which is the national federation of high schools, or the KHSAA can someone tell me who "sponsors" this award. Just wanting some clarity, that's all.

Send me a private message and I will get you in contact with coach walls himself so he can explain it to you. I will take a picture of his previous award when he was nominated. It has "nfhs" on it. He went to Colorado springs two years ago to get it. But once again, send me a private message with your contact information and I will gladly have him settle any question you're confused about by phone.