Sign in to follow this  
jbigdaddy

Dan Wilkerson

It is with great difficulty that we make you aware of the death of Dan Wilkerson, of Louisville, Kentucky, which occurred on Sunday, November 21st.  Initial reports indicate that he choked while eating, though the family has requested that an autopsy be performed.  Dan was an all-state athlete for Pleasure Ridge Park high school in football, track, and wrestling, placing fifth at the Kentucky State Championships in 1998 at the 189 weight class.  Dan also played football for Western Kentucky University following high school.  Dan has served as head wrestling coach and assistant head coach at Pleasure Ridge Park High School, as well as middle school wrestling coach at South Oldham and Moore.  Anyone who knew Dan considered him a friend and enjoyed his easy-going and kind personality. 

Visitation is at Heady Funeral Home on Dixie Highway on Friday, November 26th, from 1 pm to 8 pm, with the funeral to take place on Saturday, the 27th, at 1 pm.       

It is very sad to hear the news of losing a member of the wrestling family. Sounds like he was an extraordinary athlete who gave a lot back to his community. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family from the Sheldon Clark wrestling team.

I had the great pleasure of coaching with Dan for a few years at PRP.  Even though I had not seen him in a couple of years, we still stood in contact through this site.  He always had a special place in his heart for PRP as he would message me asking for results and current news of the team.  He was a great Coach and more importantly, an all around great guy.  I will miss him, and his family will be in my prayers. RIP Coach Wilkerson.

I will allways remember his time coaching at moore. He was a great coach even tho i was not on his middle school team i was on the high school team at moore but still enjoyed it when we were able to talk and when he would help me with my wrestling.

Since there are some Wrestling Events this Saturday, and it is the day of Coach Dan Wilkerson's funeral, I think the tournaments should start with a moment of silence in his memory.

He was a member of the wrestling family and as a family we must honor his life.

I know that one of the events is at Jeffersontown High School, I hope the organizers will consider this suggestion.

Blessings to the Wilkerson family!

I met Dan back in 98 when we played football at WKU together. He was always an awesome guy. I would give him rides back to Louisville during the weekends and we had the same classes together as we both were studying to become Physical Education teachers. Last year I learned that Oldham County was overstaffing some teachers so I jumped at the chance to get Dan over here at Moore to coach our middle school team. He did a great job with us last year and then the opportunity came by for him to get a job teaching and coaching at his alma mater PRP. He was worried that I would be upset but I assured him that I wasn't and that all of us coaches hold a special place in our hearts for going back to our schools. We were all very happy for him because he had been wanting to get over to his home (PRP) for awhile and now he finally got the chance to both teach full time and coach the sport he loved there.

Very sad to hear the news last Sunday. A teacher and coach reaches the lives of so so many. So does a great person and Dan definitely was.

Moore will most definitely honor Dan Wilkerson with a moment of silence.

and Dan....... You still owe me that Browns hat you borrowed back at WKU.