Sign in to follow this  
Flyboy

How to become an official?

start with a lobotomy

then contact the local officials association, join and they will outline the peocess to get certified.  If you do poorly enough you should be working the state tournament in about 2 years lol

start with a lobotomy

then contact the local officials association, join and they will outline the peocess to get certified.  If you do poorly enough you should be working the state tournament in about 2 years lol

be sure to not even know there is a rulebook for wrestling let alone read it

As hard as it may be for some of you to realize, without officials the sport would have to be to the death to determine a winner :evil:.....Seriously, Coaches should encourage their former and current wrestlers to give back to the sport and officiate.

To be a certified official in Ohio, its a requirement to attend one state meeting and four district meetings every year to stay current on all new rule changes and have discussions on a different topic ( stalling, take downs & reversals, infractions, and so on) at each meeting. I suggested this to Julian Tackett of the KHSAA about 6 or 7 years ago and was told that we are so short of officials in Kentucky, that they ( KHSAA) we afraid that if the requirements to be a certified official were tuffer that we would be even more short of officials. Not sure which is the worse situation, 1. being short of officials and having several bad ones or 2. being even more short that we currently are but those who are certified are more current on the rules and do a better job. Either way unless you are willing to put on the stripes and whistle and try it yourself, try giving the refs a break

Having refed at the high school level in Georgia for 3 years I understand how hard it is.  That being said I can forgive incompitance but not bias or a lack of motivation to improve  There is a huge differance in our refs compared to neighboring states

I agree completely. You should hustle when on the mat and always try to be in position, stay consistant in out of bounds calls and what your opinion of  control and reaction time is and never let personal feelings toward a coach or program or wrestling come into play. Glad to hear at least a little positive towards officials. Thanks