TeamJesus316

Question about Wrestling in Kentucky

Hello,

I am going to be interviewing for a coaching position at a Kentucky High School (Oneida Baptist) and had a few questions:

1. Is Kentucky 1 division or multiple divisions for the state championships?

2. If I coach a high school, can I have a USA Wrestling club there? From reading the KSHAA rules, I can not coach another style of the sport at the same school with the same kids (and it specifically mentions freestyle and greco roman wrestling).

3. What is the status of wrestling prior to high school in Kentucky? How prevelant is it? K-8th Grade?

My wife and I are interviewing for positions there, and I just want to have an idea of what I am getting into. I am moving from California.

Thank you,

Lewis Mendez

Team Jesus Wrestling

1. Kentucky is 1 division. Although at the state tourney the Kentucky Coaches Assosiation gives a small school state championship team trophy. All teams will wrestle in one state tourney and the small school with the highest points at the state tourney recieve this award.

2. You must have an open gym and allow anyone to attend, be it USA, or AAU.

3. Middle school wrestling in Ky is just now starting to build. There has been a Middle school state tourney for the last 3 or 4 years.

There is also an elementary state tourney but it is not as well recieved as the middle school state.

However in the state of KY we allow 7-12 to compete at the varsity level and many have competed in the state tourney.

There are others on this site that can give you more information on the K-8 wrestling in KY.

2. If I coach a high school' date=' can I have a USA Wrestling club there? From reading the KSHAA rules, I can not coach another style of the sport at the same school with the same kids (and it specifically mentions freestyle and greco roman wrestling).

[/quote']

There are some coaches that do this, and they are pretty much by the books....so I would say this is allowed. I think there is a "black out period" whatever that means where h.s. coaches can not coach at all. A person I would recommend getting a hold of to ask about Kentucky wrestling and in particular rules involving coaching would be Mike Bankemper from Campbell County. He knows the rules inside and out and has been around a while. Do a search on the web for Campbell County H.S. in Alexandria Kentucky to find their number.

Good luck to you.

2. You must have an open gym and allow anyone to attend' date=' be it USA, or AAU.[/quote']

So I can run a club and coach at it as long as it is open to others outside that individual school? Even if there end up being no members from another school?

At the end of the wrestling season open gyms are allowed. At least that is the way I understand it.

The true person to ask would be Julian Tackett Assistant Commissioner/wreslting director. e-mail jtackett@khsaa.org

May as well go to the top. :lol:

Rule of thumb is you can coach other wrestlers that are not associated with your school programs, but you cannot coach your own kids. This does not mean that they cannot practice and compete with your club, they just have to be coached by another individual.

There are some coaches that do this, and they are pretty much by the books....so I would say this is allowed. I think there is a "black out period" whatever that means where h.s. coaches can not coach at all.

Summer Dead Period

Students may not receive coaching or training from

school personnel (either salaried or non salaried) and

school facilities, uniforms, nicknames, transportation or

equipment shall not be used each year in any KHSAA

sanctioned sport or cheerleading squad during the period

beginning with June 25, and going through July 9. School

funds may not be expended in support of interscholastic

athletics in any KHSAA sanctioned sport during this

period. These restrictions shall not apply to postseason

wrap-up activities, celebrations and recognition events

relating to a spring sports team at a school which

participated in KHSAA state championship play in that

particular sport during that particular year.

Rule of thumb is you can coach other wrestlers that are not associated with your school programs' date=' but you cannot coach your own kids. This does not mean that they cannot practice and compete with your club, they just have to be coached by another individual.[/quote']

I personally dont see how this benefits the wrestlers or the wrestling community personally. The school I am looking at coaching at is kind of in the middle of the country. If I am the only person that can coach, then what? Is my program kind of out of luck in that case? Also what happens if someone makes nationals or something in USA Wrestling where the tournament is held in the summer?

You have many of the same concerns that we all have. What you must understand is we as coaches must be very carefull with what we say online. I can tell you though, that you will be fine. Talk with some coaches personally when you get here, and you will hear all the legalities of running a club. Another coach can be a volunteer coach/parent. There are many ideas to help your club.