kdsmith27

Two high school rule changes for 2007

Will the High school wrestling heavyweight limit increase help to attract more big athletes?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will the High school wrestling heavyweight limit increase help to attract more big athletes?

• YES
    • NO
    • STAY THE SAME

High school wrestling heavyweight limit increased

INDIANAPOLIS - The National Federation of State High School Associations has approved a rule change increasing the heavyweight class limit from 275 to 285 pounds.

It's the first increase in the sport's heaviest division in 19 years.

Jerry Diehl, assistant director of the NFHS, said Monday that high school athletes are bigger than they were when the 275-pound limit was set in 1987. He said the rules committee made the change to encourage more athletes, particularly football players, to compete in wrestling.

Among other wrestling changes approved by the NFHS board was one adding up to two 30-second tiebreakers after an initial 60-second overtime period.

If the score remains tied after the second tiebreaker, one additional 30-second sudden-death period will be conducted, and the first person scoring will be declared the winner. If no points are scored, the offensive wrestler will win the match. Previously, only one 30-second tiebreaker was conducted after the one-minute overtime period.

i am a hwt my self and i think that they should not increase the weight from 275 to 285 because i was 310 over the summer and lost all the weight and its not that hard and if a hwt is over weight then thats just fat and lazythey should keep it just how it is

I have been in favor in rasing the Hwt limit for years.

I believe that athletes are larger today. But I also think this should be done along with adding another upper wt. class.

without adding another wt. class heavyweights will be between 216 and 285 almost a 60 lbs difference.

I think the wt. classes should be something like this.

Hwt

Bop:

The point is to get more kids to wrestle. Many football players do not want to lose wt. and their football coaches agree with them.

The truly dedicated wrestlers would take your advise Bop, but we must 1st get them involved in the sport.

Guest iceman

If they really want to do something that would help. here it is easy fix.

216-245 class

246-275 class

anyone over 275 super heavy weight class

i believe the heavyweight class should stay the same until we get enough heavyweights we wouldnt have enough competition or that many wrestlers. but if we did have enought wrestlers to make another weight class i'd have to go with grappler and go 185 210 235 hvy

Guest DAWG6
High school wrestling heavyweight limit increased

INDIANAPOLIS - The National Federation of State High School Associations has approved a rule change increasing the heavyweight class limit from 275 to 285 pounds.

It's the first increase in the sport's heaviest division in 19 years.

Jerry Diehl' date=' assistant director of the NFHS, said Monday that high school athletes are bigger than they were when the 275-pound limit was set in 1987. He said the rules committee made the change to encourage more athletes, particularly football players, to compete in wrestling.

Among other wrestling changes approved by the NFHS board was one adding up to two 30-second tiebreakers after an initial 60-second overtime period.

If the score remains tied after the second tiebreaker, one additional 30-second sudden-death period will be conducted, and the first person scoring will be declared the winner. If no points are scored, the offensive wrestler will win the match. Previously, only one 30-second tiebreaker was conducted after the one-minute overtime period.[/quote']

What about the new uniform :?:

Is the double approved for high school :?:

At a NCAA tournament I spoke with the Brute Rep. who stated that NHSAA is adament that they will never go to a 2 piece HS singlet. He also stated that only one team used their 2 piece in college, and only a few use any brand 2 piece. It appears that people don't like change. But it was brought up in the past at NHSAA board and was denied completely.

Overtime Procedure, 275-Pound Weight Class Changed in High School Wrestling

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (April 10, 2006) — A change in the overtime procedure and an increase of 10 pounds in the 275-pound weight class are among the revisions in high school wrestling rules for the 2006-07 season.

A total of 14 rules revisions were approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Wrestling Rules Committee at its March 26-27 meeting in Indianapolis. The rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

After successful experimentation in several states last year, a potential of one additional minute was added to the overtime period. Beginning next season, if no score occurs in the sudden-victory period, two 30-second tiebreakers will take place. Scoring in these two tiebreakers will be conducted as in a regular match. If the score remains tied at the conclusion of the two tiebreakers, one additional 30-second period will be conducted, with the first person scoring declared the winner. If no points are scored, the offensive wrestler wins the match.

Previously, only one 30-second tiebreaker was conducted after the one-minute overtime period. The new rule provides for one additional 30-second tiebreaker and another 30-second period if the score remains tied after the tiebreakers.

For the first time since 1987, the limit on the heavyweight class was increased from 275 to 285 pounds. Jerry Diehl, assistant director of the NFHS and rules committee liaison, said student-athletes are bigger than they were when the limit of 275 pounds was established 19 years ago. He said the committee made the change to encourage additional high school athletes to compete in wrestling.

Dave Gannaway, assistant executive director of the Illinois High School Association and chair of the NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee, noted that the additional 10 pounds will provide larger athletes, particularly football players, an increased opportunity to wrestle.

In other rules revisions, the committee altered Rule 6-6 regarding the correction of errors. Beginning next season, any error (other than bad time and positioning) must be corrected prior to the start of the next period. For the correction to be made during the last period, it must be corrected prior to the wrestler/coach leaving the mat area. Previously, changes could be made after the match or within 30 minutes of the completion of a dual meet.

“Coaches and their scorekeepers have the responsibility to recognize scoring errors as they occur,” Diehl said. “It is unfair to attempt a reconstruction of what transpired in a previous period, if it is questioned in the subsequent period.”

The definition of when a match begins was revised in Rule 5-18-2. Beginning next season, a match (in dual matches) begins when the proper wrestler reports to the scorer’s table. Previously, by definition, a match started with the action of the first period. Diehl said the committee made this change to support the current interpretation of penalizing a wrestler who reports to compete and is improperly equipped.

Following is a summary of other changes approved for high school wrestling next year:

• Head coaches and captains are required to meet with the referee prior to each dual meet.

• Technical violations and potentially dangerous holds added to the list of items that must be verbally communicated to the referee when an assistant referee system is used.

• When the referee and assistant referee meet to confer, they shall meet away from the scorer’s table. (previously was in front of table)

• Restriction for garment extending below the singlet was modified.

• Decision on when to award additional near-fall points for acts by the defensive wrestler has been clarified.

• A wrestler who properly reports to the scorer’s table for a dual match cannot be withdrawn or replaced without causing the individual to be disqualified and the weight class forfeited.

• Penalty for pulling back the fingers clarified to state the act of grasping is not an automatic violation.

• Hand(s) to the face and/or raking the eyes added to the list of illegal holds.

• The term “fleeing” has been added to Rule 7-3-2.

• An exception was added to note that a match will not be stopped to penalize the offensive wrestler for stalling when the defensive wrestler has come to the standing position.

These 14 rules revisions will take effect next season, along with the landmark weight-management guidelines approved last year by the committee for implementation in 2006-07. These guidelines were approved in an effort to discourage rapid-weight loss by student-athletes.

In addition, the following points of emphasis were developed by the Wrestling Rules Committee for the 2006-07 season: dealing with apparent concussions, unnecessary roughness and slams, weigh-in procedures, uniform requirements, and socks and use of other special equipment.

Wrestling is the sixth-most popular sport for boys at the high school level, with 243,009 participants during the 2004-05 season, according to the High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the NFHS. It ranks eighth in school sponsorship with 9,562 high schools nationwide conducting the sport. In addition, a total of 4,334 girls participated in high school wrestling in 2004-05.

Author: Unknown

Release Date: 4/12/2006

to the guys who don't believe the weight class should be changed, not to sound like a jerk...but what do you base your opinion on? i'm sure the governing body that sets the weights has some information that supports changing the HWT division. have a little faith in these guys.

BOP...losing 35 lbs to wrestle HWT is pretty scary...i hope you do that in a slow, healthy way through diet & exercise....not old school rubber suits & crash dieting (like i and everyone around me did back in the day)

The increase is not beneficial.

1. How many heavyweights in Ky were even close to 275? Very few! I've known 1 guy in ten years that was too heavy for wrestling and couldn't make 275. Most of the big guys are in the 230-250 range. Several of last year's "heavyweights" weighed less that 210.

2. The rule will only increase the gap between 215 and Hwt. As it is there is a 28% increase from 215 to 275. If it goes to 285 the difference will be increase to almost 33%. If someone is a trim 220 and had a hard time cutting to 215, they will be at a disadvantage because of a large size difference - not because of skill.

We need to even out the weight classes. If we really want to attract the "larger" guys, look at the football teams. What do most of the bigger guys weigh? The answer is 200-240. Yet we only have 2 weight classes in which they can be involved.

The best solution is to keep the same number of weight classes, but distribute them a little more evenly.

110, 115, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 153, 162, 175, 193, 215, 240, 285. The starting point of 110 reflects that this is a high school sport and we shouldn't have to rely upon middle school athletes to fill the teams.

Perhaps increasing the HWT limit is also a step to adding another weight class between. I also agree that there should be another class somewhere in there but I don't have a problem with increasing the HWT class 285, it is long overdue.

i weighed 267.5 at the oldam county state and I was at 274.4 when rivercity ended it can be shedded in a safe and slow way cut back on late eating stop drinking softdrinks and excersie. If i get ove 275 then i will be happy to lose the weight

1. How many heavyweights in Ky were even close to 275? Very few! I've known 1 guy in ten years that was too heavy for wrestling and couldn't make 275. Most of the big guys are in the 230-250 range. Several of last year's "heavyweights" weighed less that 210.

2. The rule will only increase the gap between 215 and Hwt. As it is there is a 28% increase from 215 to 275. If it goes to 285 the difference will be increase to almost 33%. If someone is a trim 220 and had a hard time cutting to 215' date=' they will be at a disadvantage because of a large size difference - not because of skill.

We need to even out the weight classes. If we really want to attract the "larger" guys, look at the football teams. What do most of the bigger guys weigh? The answer is 200-240. Yet we only have 2 weight classes in which they can be involved.

The best solution is to keep the same number of weight classes, but distribute them a little more evenly.

110, 115, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 153, 162, 175, 193, 215, 240, 285. The starting point of 110 reflects that this is a high school sport and we shouldn't have to rely upon middle school athletes to fill the teams.[/quote']

The 220 guy won't be at much of a disadvantage if what you are saying is true and the aren't many guys near the limit. It shouldn't affect him at all.

This is just a thought. But we are all looking at this from a KY perspective. The weight class decision is made at a national level. And if you look at the powerhouse football states, not KY, the top lineman prospects are bigger than 200-240. Just because we don't see a lot of those 300 pounders doesn't mean Ohio, Florida, and California are packed with them.

2. The rule will only increase the gap between 215 and Hwt. As it is there is a 28% increase from 215 to 275. If it goes to 285 the difference will be increase to almost 33%. If someone is a trim 220 and had a hard time cutting to 215' date=' they will be at a disadvantage because of a large size difference - not because of skill.

110, 115, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 153, 162, 175, 193, 215, 240, 285. The starting point of 110 reflects that this is a high school sport and we shouldn't have to rely upon middle school athletes to fill the teams.[/quote']

I think adjusting the weights is quite fair as well.