Sign in to follow this  
buttkickers

looking for a good wrestling program

I guess I didn't give enough information. I have a good light weight freshman that has wrestled Varsity since 7th grade. Potenetially moving to Somerset for a job. We are moving from the midwest and the only thing I know is Somerset doesn't have a wrestling program. With complete confidence I believe he would be top 5 or better for sure in the state of Kentucky. I'm willing to drive to work to live in a community with a good to great program. Any help would be appreciated.

buttkickers:

I moved to Kentucky from St. Louis with three "experienced" little league wrestler sons.  I understand your issue.  Frankly, Somerset does not have a program.  In my mind there is only one program in that general area you would be interested in, and that's Wayne County.  Small school, but very solid coaching staff with a little league feeder program.  Your son will get good competition in the wrestling room, and they travel out of state to West Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia to get a look at different styles.  Whitley County and McCreary County also have teams, but they are not in the same league as the Wayne County program, in my opinion.  If you want your son to get solid coaching and see tough competition before state, Wayne County is your best option.

USA Wrestling

The Best High School Wrestlers and Teams in Kentucky

State of Kentucky Report

By Robert Fulk

Top Large Schools (1000+ enrollment)

1. Trinity High School (Louisville)

2. Campbell Co High School

3. Ryle High School

Honorable Mention: Woodford Co, John Hardin, Johnson Central

Top Small Schools

1. Union Co

2. LaRue Co

3. Wayne Co

Honorable Mention: Sheldon Clark, North Oldham. Henry Clay

Welcome to Kentucky.  By the way, where are you moving from?

True Somerset does not have a wrestling program but Pulaski Co. is trying to start one. Wayne Co is a very good program that has some tradition but don't dismiss Whitley Co and McCreary Co. Whitley co is very close to Cumberland University which has a very good NAIA wrestling program and could be used as a great resource for wrestling workouts and McCreary Co just got a new coach and they have started an off-season wrestling club that will be running year round. Both of those schools as well as Wayne Co would be excellent choices. My advice is to check out all three schools for academic reasons mainly (because you can't move to a school for athletic reasons in KY) and then talk to the wrestling coaches at all three schools and then decide where you want your son to go based on the information you get from your inquiries. In other words do some research because this is an important decision and you don't want to get it wrong. Sometimes it is not all about the success of the program as much as it is about the character of the program. Do your research.

True Somerset does not have a wrestling program but Pulaski Co. is trying to start one. Wayne Co is a very good program that has some tradition but don't dismiss Whitley Co and McCreary Co. Whitley co is very close to Cumberland University which has a very good NAIA wrestling program and could be used as a great resource for wrestling workouts and McCreary Co just got a new coach and they have started an off-season wrestling club that will be running year round. Both of those schools as well as Wayne Co would be excellent choices. My advice is to check out all three schools for academic reasons mainly (because you can't move to a school for athletic reasons in KY) and then talk to the wrestling coaches at all three schools and then decide where you want your son to go based on the information you get from your inquiries. In other words do some research because this is an important decision and you don't want to get it wrong. Sometimes it is not all about the success of the program as much as it is about the character of the program. Do your research.

Probably the best advice stated in a long time.

:wink:

He will be at 112 or 119 depending on growth doesn't like to cut weight. It doesn't look good for the move they're considering somebody close to Somerset.

Who are they and what exactly is it you are wanting to be considered for? Just a little curious but if you don't feel it is appropriate to answer that is fine. I am really not trying to be nosey just curious. Anyway good luck with it!

I'm a production/Plant Manager. Glen Oak Lumber was the company that was looking to fill a position. I would've really enjoyed living in Kentucky.

I am assuming by this response that you will no longer be moving to the Somerset area. That's to bad i think you would have liked living in KY too. Good luck to you and to your son.