Sign in to follow this  
D1 Fan

Big Ten Action Begins

Big Ten's start today in about 20 minutes.  Kyle will wrestle first round against Coughlin from Indiana.  My nerves are about a 10 out of 10... I'll be matside taking pictures of all the UW guys and have a media pass so I can hopefully give periodic updates.  Send good wrestling thoughts Kyle's way...

Not sure... he injury defaulted from the tournament... did weigh in... unlike Prater who didn't step on scale.  Big Ten looses an automatic at 141.

Howe pins

Ard looses

Rutt wins

All others had byes first round

Getting ready to start round 2 - Quarters...

Ard/Rella 7-2

Round 2 

133 won Tech Fall

141 lost 6-5

Kyle won by major13-1

157 lost 13-4

165 Howe won 12-4

184 Rutt lost 6-2

197 Brandvold won

Hwt  lost  by pin

we are on a break until 6 tonight... I'll try to update as often as possible... but it's a bit difficult as my media seat is up a couple levels and I have to cross over several rows  of people to get to it.  I am getting some pretty good pictures though and will put some up on bluegrasswrestling.com before the next session... gotta go get something to eat first!

Round 2 was a tough one.  Kyle wrestled Palmer from Ohio State... again... unfortunately he lost 2 - 1.  Kyle was called for stalling and Palmer was awarded a point... Palmer also got an escape.  Kyle also escaped... that was the scoring.  The 3rd period was very active with a lot of action.  Kyle wrestled hard and just ran out of time.  He wrestles tomorrow against Cheza from Michigan State.  Appreciate all the Kentucky support.

UW finished the day in 4th place... just 4 points behind Ohio State.  2 will be wrestling for 1st and 6 are in the wrestle backs. 

If you'd like to follow the results closer than I can provide or to check out brackets and info on other teams, here's a link to check out... 

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/wrm-bigten-2010.html

Nice to see kyle get a little revenge over molinaro fro PSU in the 3rd place match. Who would have ever thought palmer would have beat metcalf by 6 points?!?

From what I've heard, and I haven't watched the match, the score was close like it always is between the two.  At the end there was a scramble and Palmer won it and put Metcalf on his back in the process.  I don't think Palmer is 6 points better than Metcalf in terms of takedowns, reversals, near fall, etc.  Palmer beat Metcalf and deserves credit, he is a Big Ten champ.

Unfortunately I didn't see the entire match... but the end was exciting.  Palmer listened to his coaches and put Metcalf to his back... that was it... sure shakes things up at 149 that's for sure!

Kyle wrestled a good tournament and is ready for NCAA's... just have to see how the seeds and brackets shake out. 

Metcalf was in on a shot and they were scrambling, not real quick but they kept moving.  Palmer kind of sat under Metcalf and put him right to his back with about 15 seconds left.  With Metcalf on his back Palmer smiled at someone and flexed one of his arms.  Because of the lost pressure Metcalf was able to fight to his stomach but was ridden out the last five seconds.  It seems that when someone has the confidence to go with Metcalf they can beat him.  If they can get past his intimidation factor and match his conditioning, which Palmer can because of his strength, it's anybody's match.  Congrats to Palmer and we'll see what happens in two weeks.

That's a good analysis. Or, you could have said the best way to handle a bully is to punch him in the mouth.

As you can tell, I don't like him(Metcalf) and never did. Same with his coach who IMHO had the same problem.

That's a good analysis. Or, you could have said the best way to handle a bully is to punch him in the mouth.

As you can tell, I don't like him(Metcalf) and never did. Same with his coach who IMHO had the same problem.

That would have been a good way to put it but many of these kids that get on here are immature and probably would have taken it literally.  Coach, are you going to NCAA's?

The seeding at 149 should be interesting.  I assume Ruschell gets the #3, but who will he face in the semis?  Will Metcalf be #1 based on beating Palmer 4 of 5 or will Palmer get it because he won the last one (split this season)?

I thought Metcalf looked a little less aggressive against Palmer. I would expect him to be his usual beast in the NCAA's

I think he should still get the 1 seed, but I dont know the criteria.

I think Richard Starks qualified too, his match on Sunday getting him to the 3rd place match was broadcast on the internet.

His head was all wrapped up from hitting a chair on Saturday, looked like a tough guy, all bandaged up.

Good luck to KY Boys, Kyle and Richard!

The seeding at 149 should be interesting.  I assume Ruschell gets the #3, but who will he face in the semis?  Will Metcalf be #1 based on beating Palmer 4 of 5 or will Palmer get it because he won the last one (split this season)?

The latest thought is that Kyle will get a 4 seed.  Either Palmer or Metcalf would get the 1 and the other #2.  Kyle Terry as Big 12 Champ would likely get #3 and Kyle would then get #4.  We should know soon... With 8 coming from the Big Ten... he will be seeing a lot of the same guys again.

Good luck to Richard... we will be cheering for him.