Sign in to follow this  
CoachMedders

U.Cumberlands College level wrestling camp, feat, Barry Davis + Ruschell

Kentucky Wrestlers,

I would like to invite all Kentucky wrestlers to visit the University of the Cumberlands' campus and attend wrestling camp July 12th-16th.  We are featuring Barry Davis, the head coach of the University of Wisconsin .  Coach Davis one of our nations most accomplished wrestlers, he was a 3x NCAA D1 National Champion while wrestling for Dan Gable at the University of Iowa , a medalist in the Olympics (silver), and in the World Games (Bronze, Silver).

My good friend and former Kentucky state champion, Kyle Ruschell who placed 3rd at the 2009 NCAA tournament at 149, will also be teaching and working out at camp.  There will be current wrestlers from the U. Cumberlands team here preparing for next season that would love to get extra workouts with campers.

During camp I will be teaching some advanced wrestling techniques like the Funk, The Inside Trip, maybe even the super duck, and some great pinning combinations.

Hope to see you there,

Andrew Medders, Head Coach University of the Cumberlands

For more information go to

http://ucumberlands.edu/athlet...ing/mens/camps/

http://www.barrydaviswrestlingcamp.com/

Kentucky Wrestlers,

I would like to invite all Kentucky wrestlers to visit the University of the Cumberlands' campus and attend wrestling camp July 12th-16th.  We are featuring Barry Davis, the head coach of the University of Wisconsin .  Coach Davis one of our nations most accomplished wrestlers, he was a 3x NCAA D1 National Champion while wrestling for Dan Gable at the University of Iowa , a medalist in the Olympics (silver), and in the World Games (Bronze, Silver).

My good friend and former Kentucky state champion, Kyle Ruschell who placed 3rd at the 2009 NCAA tournament at 149, will also be teaching and working out at camp.  There will be current wrestlers from the U. Cumberlands team here preparing for next season that would love to get extra workouts with campers.

During camp I will be teaching some advanced wrestling techniques like the Funk, The Inside Trip, maybe even the super duck, and some great pinning combinations.

Hope to see you there,

Andrew Medders, Head Coach University of the Cumberlands

For more information go to

http://ucumberlands.edu/athlet...ing/mens/camps/

http://www.barrydaviswrestlingcamp.com/

I know people who have attended, and this is a good camp, especially for the price. With Barry Davis and Kyle Ruschell there, the quality is even higher. If any parents want to send their wrestler and would like to share the drive from Louisville, send me a message.

Hardly anyone showed up. 30 kids or so.

Lots of one on one with Ruschell, Medders and B. Davis for all the kids that did make the trip.

Why didn't all you go to this??? Best camp in the state this yr.  Is there another camp or tourney this week everyone is going to?? I thought Lexington wrestlers would show up for this one. Guess not.

Political backlash?

Going from Madison, the self-proclaimed beer drinking champions of the Big 10 to Williamsburg must induce some level of culture shock.

I found out at the Wisconsin HS football coaches clinic this year that you cannot buy takeout beer after 9:00pm in Madison. Evidently, the campus bars got that one pushed through.

Hardly anyone showed up. 30 kids or so.

Lots of one on one with Ruschell, Medders and B. Davis for all the kids that did make the trip.

Why didn't all you go to this??? Best camp in the state this yr.  Is there another camp or tourney this week everyone is going to?? I thought Lexington wrestlers would show up for this one. Guess not.

I don't understand it myself, as this camp was a great value in my opinion. We were planning to go to Ohio State -- farther and more expensive fee -- until we found out Barry Davis and Kyle Ruschell would be in attendance. But I'm happy my kid will get individual attention. It's others' loss!

I don't understand it myself, as this camp was a great value in my opinion. We were planning to go to Ohio State -- farther and more expensive fee -- until we found out Barry Davis and Kyle Ruschell would be in attendance. But I'm happy my kid will get individual attention. It's others' loss!

IMO. any and all camps are good. Anything that gets kids mat exposure in the off-season only helps our sport. That said, the intrinsic value a camp holds is mostly dependent on the kids it attracts and not so much the clinicans. Certainly, this helps justify why tOSU, Jordan, J Rob, etc charge a premium. You just can't put a price on a good practice partner.

That may be partially true, tilt, but you can't deny that having a Gable disciple and 3 time NCAA champ like Davis, an All-American (possible future champ) like Ruschell and an NAIA champ like Medders as instructors doesn't carry some weight. That's some of the best instruction a Ky wrestler could possibly receive. It really doesn't matter who your drill partner is if those 3 are showing you how to execute a move.

I still think it was the best camp (for price and instruction) held in the KY area all yr.

ryle is a day camp, which means daily travel for anyone not in the area which results in less mat time. 

Cumberland included dorm and food. Its a better deal.

still, every wrestler that gets a chance should GO. top-notch instruction at an incredibly affordable price.

That may be partially true, tilt, but you can't deny that having a Gable disciple and 3 time NCAA champ like Davis, an All-American (possible future champ) like Ruschell and an NAIA champ like Medders as instructors doesn't carry some weight. That's some of the best instruction a Ky wrestler could possibly receive. It really doesn't matter who your drill partner is if those 3 are showing you how to execute a move.

I still think it was the best camp (for price and instruction) held in the KY area all yr.

No. Completely true, Standing G. Davis is no more of a Gable disciple that Tom Ryan. Albeit, more tenured in the Big 10 but less successful nationally. For every AA (and, I'm a big fan of Kyle) there will be 3 at the Buckeye Camp including NC2A champs. My argument is valid. That attracting more and better kids is a justification for why those camps are more expensive. Instructors at J Rob and Jordans ain't too shabby either. Maybe we can agree on this: A motivated wrestler will get more out of a crappy camp than an unmotivated wrestler will get out of a good camp.

Of course THE ohio state univ. will attract more talent than the univ. of the cumberlands.  But I don't think the quality of instruction differs that much, if any. And I know Buckeye camp was over $100 more.

But, we do agree that a motivated wrestler will get more out of a crappy camp than an unmotivated wrestler will get out of a good camp.

Of course THE ohio state univ. will attract more talent than the univ. of the cumberlands.  But I don't think the quality of instruction differs that much, if any. And I know Buckeye camp was over $100 more.

But, we do agree that a motivated wrestler will get more out of a crappy camp than an unmotivated wrestler will get out of a good camp.

i went to the camp. really good camp, had a great partner, and got some epic live match time with the 125 from UC, worth the trip alone haha. but medders, davis, kyle, and justin peterson(buzz) are 4 guys that made the camp go so smooth that u were really ready for the next secsion, and i left with a good stable tech. to go home with.