Sign in to follow this  
BALL-N-CHAIN

Head lock

Is it possible to cut an opponents air off with a legal headlock?  If so then is the head lock actually legal? I am trying to understand the grey areas that seem to surround this issue. I have some ideas but I am looking for some input.

While u may be able to cut off the air way completly but if done right (or wrong ethically) there is a main artery that runs directly to the brain that if constricted enough will cause you pass out i have seen it done when i wrestled in the 90's.

ttp://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234789-2009-national-collegiate-wrestling-championships/162611-149lbs-ncwa-national-championship-consolation-finals-alex-broadwater-umbc-vs-jeff-slaughter-lsu

i think this answers ur question this guy is out of it after the headlock

That was a very nice headlock, and it ended up doing the job.  However, the ref typically is watching to see if the person is changing color in an instance like that one.  Another route is to unlock your hands, post the palm of the arm around the guys head on the mat below the base of his skull, and as he tries to bridge off from it, you drop your shoulder through the side of his throat.  Within seconds, he will go flat because you are cutting off his artery.  He will feel like you choked the crap out of him, but you will have never stopped him from breathing, just the flow of oxygen to the brain.  BTW, you other arm is typcally holding his free arm completely away from his face so the ref can easily see you are in no way cutting off his oxygen.

That was a very nice headlock, and it ended up doing the job.  However, the ref typically is watching to see if the person is changing color in an instance like that one.  Another route is to unlock your hands, post the palm of the arm around the guys head on the mat below the base of his skull, and as he tries to bridge off from it, you drop your shoulder through the side of his throat.  Within seconds, he will go flat because you are cutting off his artery.  He will feel like you choked the crap out of him, but you will have never stopped him from breathing, just the flow of oxygen to the brain.  BTW, you other arm is typcally holding his free arm completely away from his face so the ref can easily see you are in no way cutting off his oxygen.

What an ASS clown you are!!  Do you really think an adult should be posting instructions on how to cut the blood supply to a kid's brain off until they go flat?  I hope this happens to your own child someday until he pisses and shits himself.  I'll know how to spot you, you'll be the dad screaming at his son as he walked off the mat because he embarrassed you.  Please remove yourself from the gene pool as soon as possible.

What an butt clown you are!!  Do you really think an adult should be posting instructions on how to cut the blood supply to a kid's brain off until they go flat?  I hope this happens to your own child someday until he pisses and shits himself.  I'll know how to spot you, you'll be the dad screaming at his son as he walked off the mat because he embarrassed you.  Please remove yourself from the gene pool as soon as possible.

Lol I think he was explaining how to get the pin by causing them a little pain rather than trying to hurt them.  In my opinion the best way to get the fall is to cause your opponent a little discomfort.  If that means cutting off the air a little or blood flow then so be it.  If it's that bad then they will pass out, not be able to fight back and you will get the fall quickly and therefore cause no permanent damage.

What an butt clown you are!!  Do you really think an adult should be posting instructions on how to cut the blood supply to a kid's brain off until they go flat?  I hope this happens to your own child someday until he pisses and shits himself.  I'll know how to spot you, you'll be the dad screaming at his son as he walked off the mat because he embarrassed you.  Please remove yourself from the gene pool as soon as possible.

Chill out dude. This is wrestling, not badmitten. Bad things happen in this sport. Its rough and one of the few real all contact sports.

To stay on subject.  I have learned that you can take the arm that you have with the head and push it over his face, and lay on it like you would for a regular pin. This cuts off air, you see a lot of UFC fighters do this with there hand. Loss of air causes stress and takes the focus from the match to how the kid is going to get his next breath. and that usually makes them quit.

Chill out dude. This is wrestling, not badmitten. Bad things happen in this sport. Its rough and one of the few real all contact sports.

To stay on subject.  I have learned that you can take the arm that you have with the head and push it over his face, and lay on it like you would for a regular pin. This cuts off air, you see a lot of UFC fighters do this with there hand. Loss of air causes stress and takes the focus from the match to how the kid is going to get his next breath. and that usually makes them quit.

I 100% stand by what I said and will not "chill out dude".  I'm fully aware it's not badmitten.  This isn't about toughness or being macho.  To choke a kid out is straight up cheating and dangerous. 

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Chokehold/id/1968577

"It should be noted that an incorrectly-applied chokehold can cause serious damage such as crushing the trachea, and thus can potentially be lethal. Even a correctly-applied chokehold will cause brain damage or death if held for too long. For these reasons, outside of life threatening situations, chokeholds should only be practiced under the direct supervision of a qualified individual, such as an instructor or referee in Judo or MMA."

This post was meant for information and awareness only.  One of my goals when posting on this open forum is not to single out individuals.  As I know, headlocks have always been a part of wrestling.Just watch the  stream posted earlier.  Due to the recent popularity of MMA and the tendency to mesh this "combat sport" with high school folkstyle wrestling, coaches and referees need to raise their level of awareness 

Dinibus, as much as I hate to do this I owe you an apology.  After BALL-N-CHAIN posted his last post, I read the thread from top to bottom.  I now see why you put your reply on there.  I still think this website is a bad place to post stuff like this but I don't think your reply was all that bad in the context of this thread.  I would hope this thread would emphasize the educational part of this.  Thanks to the popularity of MMA & UFC kids today are well versed in choke holds.  So I agree with BALL-N-CHAIN that coaches and refs need to raise their level of awareness.  I would just hate to see kids out there applying choke holds to get cheap wins from legitimate wrestlers.

Dinibus, as much as I hate to do this I owe you an apology.  After BALL-N-CHAIN posted his last post, I read the thread from top to bottom.  I now see why you put your reply on there.  I still think this website is a bad place to post stuff like this but I don't think your reply was all that bad in the context of this thread.  I would hope this thread would emphasize the educational part of this.  Thanks to the popularity of MMA & UFC kids today are well versed in choke holds.  So I agree with BALL-N-CHAIN that coaches and refs need to raise their level of awareness.  I would just hate to see kids out there applying choke holds to get cheap wins from legitimate wrestlers.

There are these people out there on the mat that make sure you don't cheat, there called refs. I don't see what you are mad about GuRu, is it the fact that people are using headlocks, or how people are giving info on how to make the headlock a potentially better move? Me personally i hate the headlock, but what i hate even more is people that say "that move is dangerous so you shouldn't do it." I think we should be more worried about, i don't know skin diseases that need to be taken care of, like staff or MERSA. things that i think are a bigger threat because kids see a spot on there body and don't think anything of it, i know im changing the subject, but i think this should be addressed.

Kentucky10, thanks for pointing out that there are refs in a wrestling match.  I hadn't noticed that fact before.  However if you read dinibus' post he talks about how to conceal a choke hold from the ref.  Perhaps your opinion on choke holds would be different if Harrison Courtney had been choked out this year at state and not been a 4xer.  It's cheating an dangerous.  You're young, some day you will realize this is wrong.  The ONLY reason I apologize for my rant at dinibus is that given what this thread is about, it wasn't all that inappropriate.  It is actually educational.  However, choke holds are illegal in wrestling.  Giving detailed instructions on how to do them on a wrestling website is crap.  You can continue to act all hard, but I've seen you wrestle enough to know if you got choked out and whizzed all over the mat you'd be a huge cry baby about it.

Kentucky10, thanks for pointing out that there are refs in a wrestling match.  I hadn't noticed that fact before.  However if you read dinibus' post he talks about how to conceal a choke hold from the ref.  Perhaps your opinion on choke holds would be different if Harrison Courtney had been choked out this year at state and not been a 4xer.  It's cheating an dangerous.  You're young, some day you will realize this is wrong.  The ONLY reason I apologize for my rant at dinibus is that given what this thread is about, it wasn't all that inappropriate.  It is actually educational.  However, choke holds are illegal in wrestling.  Giving detailed instructions on how to do them on a wrestling website is crap.  You can continue to act all hard, but I've seen you wrestle enough to know if you got choked out and whizzed all over the mat you'd be a huge cry baby about it.

agreed

Sadly, the only way to stop this type of activity is to end the sport.  There are always routes to chokes.  For instance, in a front headlock situation, you are not allowed to turn the chin, so you keep your hand open and lodge your thumb muscle next to the trachea.  This positions your wrist sideways on their throat.  Should you pull the back of their head toward you using that arm, they are quickly unable to breath with very little effort on your part, not to mention that the more they drive or lift you, the more it works against them.  Again, this hold looks like the wrestler is trying to oblidge to all the rules. 

To be safe, we could make rules against any move involving anything that touches the neck.  I mean, our neck is very open to this type of activity.  However, I don't think such a rule could ever be put through, not to mention that it would just cause more pressure locks to become used and then we would see young kids with horrible knee and elbow problems.  I would just say that we need to teach our wrestlers how to relax and utilize these movements against their opponents.  Not to mention that wrestling is about getting pins and wins in routes other than making their opponents pass out.

Whizzed? hell yea i would cry, you wouldn't? Everybody in the place would be crying... from laughter. My point isn't to sound "hard" its to tell you to stop being the cry baby, this is wrestling, get over it, or do something about it. Go before the KHSAA and plea to make a new rule about it. And if Harry would had been chocked out by jake lee, i would have marched down on the mat and shook jake's hand myself

Whizzed? hell yea i would cry, you wouldn't? Everybody in the place would be crying... from laughter. My point isn't to sound "hard" its to tell you to stop being the cry baby, this is wrestling, get over it, or do something about it. Go before the KHSAA and plea to make a new rule about it. And if Harry would had been chocked out by jake lee, i would have marched down on the mat and shook jake's hand myself

Well said, wrestling is a tough sport and it's not for everybody.