Sign in to follow this  
stand-up

KCD WRESTLING

I'm sorry to announce that KCD will no longer continue its wrestling program.  I understand that this is not a huge loss to Kentucky Wrestling, however it is a personal loss to me and the handful of fine young men who had in past years worked very hard to be competitive wrestlers.  This was not a decision made by the school but rather the unfortunate result caused by the lack of interest demonstrated by the KCD students themselves.  Despite my best efforts, I was unable to motivate enough student athletes at KCD to sign-up, participate and endure the most demanding of high school sports.  By the end of this years season we were down to just two wrestlers, with only one of those coming to practice regularly.  The program could not survive with just one highly motivated athlete.  I am grateful to everyone who continually extended their hands in friendship these past seven years.  Thanks to all the coaches for always looking out for me and my team, making sure we were invited to various meets and tournaments.  Thanks to everyone in region 5 who have always been so kind and encouraging to me and my boys.  Thanks to all the fine young men at KCD who worked hard, bled, sweat and laughed with me for seven years, it was an honor.  And most of all, I would like to thank the best of the best, the last man standing at KCD, - Hardy Hendren -. 

Chris Shofner

Coach,

Very sorry to hear this. One thing that i can say about wrestling is you need a filler program. Most Students already in High School cannot understand the benefits of wrestling. Teaching them the basics in HS, and then competing against wrestlers that have been wrestling for years can be very discouraging. If you start them young, they will continue throughout high school. Some High schools put the cart before the horses. To have a successful high school program these days you must have a successfull elementary/middle school program. Look at the successful programs in KY. They all have youth programs.

I'm sorry to announce that KCD will no longer continue its wrestling program.  I understand that this is not a huge loss to Kentucky Wrestling, however it is a personal loss to me and the handful of fine young men who had in past years worked very hard to be competitive wrestlers.  This was not a decision made by the school but rather the unfortunate result caused by the lack of interest demonstrated by the KCD students themselves.  Despite my best efforts, I was unable to motivate enough student athletes at KCD to sign-up, participate and endure the most demanding of high school sports.  By the end of this years season we were down to just two wrestlers, with only one of those coming to practice regularly.  The program could not survive with just one highly motivated athlete.  I am grateful to everyone who continually extended their hands in friendship these past seven years.  Thanks to all the coaches for always looking out for me and my team, making sure we were invited to various meets and tournaments.   Thanks to everyone in region 5 who have always been so kind and encouraging to me and my boys.  Thanks to all the fine young men at KCD who worked hard, bled, sweat and laughed with me for seven years, it was an honor.  And most of all, I would like to thank the best of the best, the last man standing at KCD, - Hardy Hendren -. 

Chris Shofner

That really blows man......The team I coached had the opposite problem. We had dedicated kids, we fundraised ourselves and actually paid for our own gym. The school just did not want it. They say words like Title 9 and so forth. Wrestling is a great sport, too bad the KCD program is done. Maybe one day it will return....

Coach Shofner - I really hate to hear that, but I know you gave it all you had and more to motivate and teach the kids and build the best team possible there at KCD.  I left my share of blood, sweat, and tears on those blue mats and have been extremely happy to see the development of Hardy Hendren.  Too bad he won't be able to bring back those state tournament medals for the Bearcats the next 2 seasons.