Sign in to follow this  
tiltfor3

Big 10s

Lost to Palmer of tOSU and will have to beat Nadhir of Northwestern to quakify for the NC2As.

The Big 10 is a brutal brutal tournament. 3 defending national champions were not even the #1 seeds here.

Yes, he got 5th.  I think the top 5 in each weight class from the Big 10 are in plus some wild cards.

Beat Jake Patascil from Purdue in the quarters.  Lost to Metcalf in the semis.  Lost to Palmer from Ohio St in the conso semis.  Obviously beat someone for 5th but I forget who it was.

Teched 16-4. Then again, not as bad as the a$$ woopin he put on Bubba Jenkins in the finals. That was one of the most uncomfortable pinning combinations I have ever seen.

I believe this was the first match where Metcalf got the first takedown against Jenkins.  Metcalf's technique seems to have caught up to his conditioning as a serious weapon.  If he improves on top next year as much as he improved on his feet this year then he will be by far the best college wrestler in the country.  Especially since his takedowns are going to improve even more.

Honestly I would love to see him try his last year at 157, it will be more challenging but I think with the same result.  Iowa will also be a much stronger team than they are already because both Slaton and LeClere will be in the line-up with one at 141 and the other at 149.

Can you imgaine this line-up:

125- Nate Moore (Freshman)- 4x IA champ, Fargo Champ, top-ranked recruit out of high school

or J.J. Krutsinger (Sophomore)- solid wrestler who filled in for Falk this year when he was hurt, wrestled Nickerson tough in a close match, don't know much more about him

133- Daniel Dennis (Senior)- ranked 1st going into Big Tens this year, placed 5th

141- Joe Slaton (Senior)- 2nd last year at NCAA's, had weight problems this year which forced him to ride the bench

149- Dan LeClere (Senior)- 4x IA champ, ranked top ten most of last year but DNP at NCAA's

157- Metcalf (Senior)

165- Ryan Morningstar (Senior)- ranked in top 3 most of this year, 2nd at Big Tens

174- Jay Borschel (Senior)- 3rd at NCAA's last year, ranked top 4 all year this year

184- Phil Keddy (Senior)- 6th at NCAA's last year, beat returning champ Pucillo in Big Ten semis this past weekend and placed 2nd

197- Chad Beatty (Senior)- wrestler who has moved up from 174 last year to a top 15 ranking this year, darkhorse to place this year, still gaining weight, next year will be a solid 197 and a high AA in my opinion

285- Dan Erekson (Senior)- another wrestler who has moved up, this one from 197, has been ranked top ten all year, won Big Tens this past weekend, will continue to gain weight next year, will definitely AA this year and next year a darkhorse if not the favorite to win it all

It's funny to see Keddy in their at 84. I reffed his match with Varner from Iowa State when they both were redshirt freshman. Keddy headbutted Varner with about 10 seconds left which led me to DQ him. He was getting beat by Varner by four or five at the time. He was a pretty bad sport about it. Varner couldn't continue the tourney because he had to go get about 10 stitches in his head.