Sign in to follow this  
pin12

elementary states

Way to go Fern Creek.  The Elem. State was wonderful.  This is a great way to increase wrestling in KY.  I do however think that having three or four state champs for a weight class is kind of demeaning to the title of State Champ.  I think that KY ought to reconsider the way that is done.  I also think that it would be better if 2 region champs do not face each other in the first round. Yes I am talking about seeding.

Congratulations to Jake Burroughs, a true go-getter. 

I agree with this 100%! I hear about all these good wrestlers to watch at state and would have loved to keep up with them, but I obviouosly couldn't because of the amount of wrestlers at the tournament! It was impossible! I love going to Middle and High School State and just sit back with my brackets and enjoy watching the best in the state! I applaud Fern Creek for handling a tournament of this magnitude as well as they did! My son won state last year his first year wrestling and he was on cloud 9 not really knowing that there were 3 champs in his weight class! This year he won again and it was not nearly as magical for him. He didn't even crack a smile getting his hand raised and I feel bad for him! He spent all season long working his butt off so he could share the title is the way he put it! I see nothing wrong wih having a qualifier for Elementary State! Top 4 from each weight class out of each region! I applaud everyones time and energy for youth wrestling in Kentucky!

Enthusiast that is good but very unpopular opinion on this forum.

This is unpopular because the truth hurts.  Since this is so uncomfortable we should do something to make this a meaningful title. Let the best be the Best and let the rest have something to work harder for!

I've heard people say on hear that the youth state tournament is suppose to be about participating and helping the sport grow within the state! I was talking to a parent on my son's team who grew up wrestling in Oklahoma and even wrestled college in Oklahoma! He can't believe there's not a true CHAMPION even at the elementary level! He bluntly said to me "youth wrestling in Kentucky is pampered"! My friend's son wrestled yesterday too and he became a paper champion, because there was no one for him to wrestle at his weight class. He's 10 and he wasn't allowed to wrestle any 11 or 12 year olds where there were kids at his weight! Luckily they live in the local area, because I would have felt sorry for them if they drove all the way across the state and not even wrestle! my son wrestled 2 matches to win the title when there were plenty of other kids at his weight! They were just in A, B, or C bracket!

I've heard people say on hear that the youth state tournament is suppose to be about participating and helping the sport grow within the state! I was talking to a parent on my son's team who grew up wrestling in Oklahoma and even wrestled college in Oklahoma! He can't believe there's not a true CHAMPION even at the elementary level! He bluntly said to me "youth wrestling in Kentucky is pampered"! My friend's son wrestled yesterday too and he became a paper champion, because there was no one for him to wrestle at his weight class. He's 10 and he wasn't allowed to wrestle any 11 or 12 year olds where there were kids at his weight! Luckily they live in the local area, because I would have felt sorry for them if they drove all the way across the state and not even wrestle! my son wrestled 2 matches to win the title when there were plenty of other kids at his weight! They were just in A, B, or C bracket!

I'm not going to comment on the "my son is not a true state champion" dilemma, but for what it is worth, Fern Creek notified the coaches of the kids that did not have matches so that the above situation (ie. traveling all the way across the state without getting to wrestle) did not happen.  I have heard the Fern Creek did an outstanding job running the tournament.  Congrats to them and all of the kids! 

I give Fern Creek the up most respect for running the tournament! I thought they did a outstanding job for the amount of kids! I just don't understand why it can't be run like the Middle School State! Those kind of tournament are so much more enjoyable to attend! I acknowledge how great of a job Fern Creek did!  They have an outstanding program and awesome parents to run that tournament the way it was run!

I give Fern Creek the up most respect for running the tournament! I thought they did a outstanding job for the amount of kids! I just don't understand why it can't be run like the Middle School State! Those kind of tournament are so much more enjoyable to attend! I acknowledge how great of a job Fern Creek did!  They have an outstanding program and awesome parents to run that tournament the way it was run!

In time it might change to a one champion per weigh class format.  This event has grown from a few hundred to several and our sport is going in the right direction.  I applaud all the volunteers from all the local schools that worked tables ect...  They had qualified referee's that did a great job from what I say, no kids got hurt in the little gym that I'm aware of. 

The BIGGEST item to point out is Look at the top 5 teams then look at the middle and high schools; see a connection of success. :?  Participation by parents, coaches (MOSTLY Volunteer) and strong successful programs.

Currently, I think those involved are trying to grow the sport for all the right reasons.  I didn't see one KID unhappy they weren't the overall champion.  They took the medal and went home to play outside (it was a great day) :-D

This opinion has merit; but if Mom's and Dad's are unhappy and feel their little wrestler is being cheated as a paper champion or not getting to wrestle the best get over it or attend any of the numerous national tournaments throughout the country they can attend.

Fern Creek and staff hosted a great tournament :-D

I thought that Fern Creek did a great job with the large number of kids that participated. A few things I took away from Saturday: A few officials, just a few, ether had a hard time getting down on the mat or "didn't feel like it". Now I understand that there were several kids wrestling, however at times, it simply looked like laziness to me. I saw several kids pinned and it took coaches to point out the obvious to the refs. Second: When we arrived in the late morning, I was told a few parents had been asked to leave due to crowding the mats. Once the afternoon began, eventhough several announcements were made and I found myself several times yelling "down in front please". Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be on the floor next to the mats, but we followed the rules. It just did not seem like enough was done to keep the mats free of "clutter" so to speak for the people in the bleachers. Third: I understand both sides of the argument about scoring for teams. The long wait until the score were read was, well, ugly!! But, what I will say is that for the teams waiting, I don't think I saw more kids pumped up at once waiting for those team scores. It proved my earlier post about the fact that the team titles do count in the kids eyes regardless of all of our diffrent opinions. Both the Cougar & Raider programs did Region 3 proud. Finally, I was talking to a high school coach that was in attendance. He has coached his team for close to 20 years, with a ton of success. He said one of the reasons for the growth of this sport was due to the second generation kids, who along with new kids/parents that has turned Kentucky wrestling into what it is starting to become. I still to this day am proud of the 4 years of mat time I received, but I am even more proud that my son (at a young age) can learn some of those great life lessons too. Every stage of development is now in place in Kentucky. In 20 years we may be like Ohio is now and hopefully one day my son can bring his future kid/kids into this and reflect on how much better it has become for them.

I just wanted to give all the boys and girls that competed one more pat on the back for the outstanding day of wrestling they gave us! Job well done!

Thanks to all FC parents for making this tournament a success! A special thanks to all the teams that provided workers, Larue, South Oldham, Ryle, Johnson Central, River City, and North Hardin (I apologize if I missed anyone). Special thanks to Stan Martin for the support and fielding questions or exceptions during the tournament. I spent countless hours on the phone (which is still on going) reviewing tournament criteria with Stan and I know he has been fielding questions from the other 30+ teams that attended. I appreciate the time you and the other board members have put into the program to get us headed in the right direction. I am sure there are days when it seems you hear nothing but complaints, but when you see the results at the end of year and you are able to pull it all together it makes it worth wild. You have done a great job as president and I only hope your successor has the same passion!

Where can I find results from the elementary state region 2?. I have two students that competed and wanted to see how they placed.They promised me they placed on the top 3

Where did the idea come from for having multiple brackets for the same weight class at the state tournament and why is it looked at as a positive by whoever is in agreement with it?

Mouse - This was all gone over last year (you can still read last years posts on page 9-10 I think) and had been hashed out again this year.  Please read the threads and you will get everyone's opinion.  There  is no reason to drag this out of the closet again this year!  All anyone wants to do is get the kids involved in wrestling and if this is how we have to do it then that's the way it is. If you want a single champon wrestle in another state.  This is KY not Ohio, Michigan, etc.  We have to do what is right for our state at this point.  Maybe in 10-20 years down the road wrestling in KY will be big enough to have a mulitple day tourny with one single champion.  Remember you have to walk before you can run. 

Congratuations to all the winners this year.  Fern Creek did a great job hosting the tournament and it was run efficiently and ended at a reasonable time!

All anyone wants to do is get the kids involved in wrestling

If you want to get kids involved in wrestling you run more frequent "Open" and "Novice" type tournaments with 8-man brackets and "1st year wrestler divisions."  Dumbing down the State Tournament so that kids feel encouraged to keep wrestling is a joke.  It renders the "State Championship" meaningless.  You might as well hand out the "State Champion" medals at the door. 

KY is probably the only state in the wrestling world that runs a state championship tournament this way.

Mouse - This was all gone over last year (you can still read last years posts on page 9-10 I think) and had been hashed out again this year.  Please read the threads and you will get everyone's opinion.  There  is no reason to drag this out of the closet again this year!  All anyone wants to do is get the kids involved in wrestling and if this is how we have to do it then that's the way it is. If you want a single champon wrestle in another state.  This is KY not Ohio, Michigan, etc.  We have to do what is right for our state at this point.  Maybe in 10-20 years down the road wrestling in KY will be big enough to have a mulitple day tourny with one single champion.  Remember you have to walk before you can run. 

Congratuations to all the winners this year.  Fern Creek did a great job hosting the tournament and it was run efficiently and ended at a reasonable time!

All the negative talk about the elementary state is getting very old.  No one wants it dragged back out, but if people don't like the way things are ran they are going to complain on this site.  Most parents are not going to go to the coaches meetings.  Are they even allowed to attend, and would you even want them there?  Their only venue to vent is this site.  These parents are not going to move away to another state that does the tournament the way they want it.  They are going to get online and rip the coaches and association to shreds.  That's how it goes.  All the coaches and officers can at least listen. 

First PD, I don't want to "Dumb Down" the state tournament.  I am just pointing out the fact that KY is still working out the bugs for the state tournament and that this isn't high school.  They are children.  I have an idea - let them be children and when they are in Middle School lets start treating them like the are adults.  Everyone seem to be in such a hurry to make the elementary kids high school kids. 

Second,  Pioneer Pride, I don't know Stan Martin personally, but I'm sure if you wanted to come to a coaches meeting he'd let you know when and where it is at.  There are regional contacts for the parents and coaches to contact also.  This not the only place to "vent" your concerns. 

To all the jackasses that don't like 8 man brackets.  GET A LIFE, YOUR TIME IS OVER, DON'T LIVE YOUR TERRIBLE CAREER THROUGH YOUR KID.  What do you want, a 10 year old kid to wrestle a 24 man bracket?  You guys who complain are idiots.

Second,  Pioneer Pride, I don't know Stan Martin personally, but I'm sure if you wanted to come to a coaches meeting he'd let you know when and where it is at.  There are regional contacts for the parents and coaches to contact also.  This not the only place to "vent" your concerns.     

I have no concerns about youth wrestling whatsoever.  I have a 5 year old who thinks every tournament is either "state" or "nationals".  My point of my post was that there has been arguing on this site regarding the same stuff for 2+ years.  Why are people surprised to see posts on here about people complaining about the 8 man brackets?  Some people like them, some people don't.  People are going to complain on this site.  The idiots are the ones who are surprised by this. 

To all the jackasses that don't like 8 man brackets.  GET A LIFE, YOUR TIME IS OVER, DON'T LIVE YOUR TERRIBLE CAREER THROUGH YOUR KID.   What do you want, a 10 year old kid to wrestle a 24 man bracket?  You guys who complain are idiots.

No not all the people complaining on here are parents.  I would like a real state tournament for two reasons, one because I would like to see who the real state champion is.  Also some of my kids, one a "state champ", have mentioned the same thing, that they would like to see who the real state champ is as well.

I'm wondering if any other parents, like myself have stopped letting their children read the posts?  I'm not sure if we as "adults" realize the impact of our words.  We shouldn't take anything away from any program, wrestler,  or coach.  If you are unhappy with how the association runs things, step up, volunteer,  and change it, each region has regional reps who are to be the mouthpiece of that region.  Contact them......  this site is for encouragement of the sport, not degrating it.    To the issue with the "real" state champion.....meet up this summer and wrestle.....there is always the Bluegrass Games