• brad hitchings
    • myron bradbury
    • dusty brown
    • jacob bradford
    • matt zarth
    • aaron carr
    • Ryan Kelly
    • Ryan Harlow

Luke Ervin. He beat the #1 guy (Johnson), #2 guy (Slone), and #4 guy (Lampe) all in route to take the title. Thats one of the toughest draws I'd say and he made alot of people look like fools for saying how overrated he was. I definitely think he should have received it. Justin Davis beat the #9 ranked Isaac Thomas in the finals. And beat the #2,7, and 8 ranked guys. Not as impressive as Luke Ervin's route to victory.

Luke Ervin. He beat the #1 guy (Johnson), #2 guy (Slone), and #4 guy (Lampe) all in route to take the title. Thats one of the toughest draws I'd say and he made alot of people look like fools for saying how overrated he was. I definitely think he should have received it. Justin Davis beat the #9 ranked Isaac Thomas in the finals. And beat the #2,7, and 8 ranked guys. Not as impressive as Luke Ervin's route to victory.

Well said...

john fahy had just as much of a tough ride as luke, yet he made everyone he wrestled look stupid. he beat the number 2, 4, 5, and 6 guys in his weight, and the only one he didnt tech or pin, was the number 2 guy, and that was still a large major. only gave up three points the entire tournament, and those were escapes, he gave the kid.

john fahy had just as much of a tough ride as luke, yet he made everyone he wrestled look stupid. he beat the number 2, 4, 5, and 6 guys in his weight, and the only one he didnt tech or pin, was the number 2 guy, and that was still a large major. only gave up three points the entire tournament, and those were escapes, he gave the kid.

But Fahy was EXPECTED to win. THAT is the big difference. Luke pulled one or two upsets along the way to earn his title, Fahy didn't. And i wouldn't call Fahy's major over Paden big, since Paden went for the "big move" right at the end and got caught. Without that, Fahy only wins 11-3 which is just barely a major.

still a major on the number two kid in the state...can anyone else say they majored the number two kid in the state that won it this year?

The question is this?

What is the MOW? 

I believe it can be three things.

1. Is it the best wrestler that the state of KY offers?

2. The best wrestler at the tourney that day?

3.  The kid that won by upsetting someone else?

My opinion it should go to either the best the state offers or the kid who was the best wrestler at the state tourney. Usually this is the same person.

This year I think you have three different

1.  Would be obviously Harrison Courtney

2.  Would be Justin Davis

3.  Would be Luke Ervin.

The question is this?

What is the MOW? 

I believe it can be three things.

3.  The kid that won by upsetting someone else?

My opinion it should go to either the best the state offers or the kid who was the best wrestler at the state tourney. Usually this is the same person.

This year I think you have three different

1.  Would be obviously Harrison Courtney

2.  Would be Justin Davis

3.  Would be Luke Ervin.

well said

who do u all think was most deserving of MOW at state?

This is not to take away from any other wrestler but my vote would go to Jake Bradford. Most people outside of the Ryle Program does not know that Jake gave up his Senior Year playing Football to focus on his wrestling abilities. And let me tell you Jake was one heck of a football player. From being a kid that did not place in the 215 lb weight class a year ago to standing at the top of the podium in the 189 lb weight class this year shows how hard he has worked to be a State Champ in 2009. Just looking at how Jake's body transformed during the last year shows how committed he was. Again not taking away from any other wrestler but I don't think anyone worked/sacrificed  as much as Jake did to get his State Title. Now several College Wrestling Coaches have their eyes on Jake and maybe some more will discover him at Senior Nationals. Congratulations go out to the Ryle Coaching Staff and to Jake on a great season Good Luck at Nationals. 

Ranger's rankings mean nothing at state, so how many ranked kids you beat on your way to the finals is really irrelevant.  Those numbers are just his best guess.

Based on Bulldog-leader's criteria, here's where I'd put them:

Harrison Courtney

Brad Hitchings

Justin Davis

Caleb Ervin

Matt Zarth

Justin Davis

Caleb Ervin

Brad Hitchings

Matt Zarth

Harrison Courtney

I agree with Pioneer_Pride rankings are garbage no offense Ranger but some of the people never even meet until the state tournament and if they have never wrestled then how can you tell who is better. 

MOW

DAVIS!

To add to caleb ervin, he was wrestling with a dislocated knee all day saturday he received while warming up with Luke if you could notice by his limping. He had previously injured his knee earlier in the year before the season started. Issac Ervin didnt give up a takedown all year either.

To add to caleb ervin, he was wrestling with a dislocated knee all day saturday he received while warming up with Luke if you could notice by his limping. He had previously injured his knee earlier in the year before the season started. Issac Ervin didnt give up a takedown all year either.

Caleb has always been one of my favorite wrestlers.  I have no doubt he will win an MOW by the time he is done.  But I liked the dislocated knee cap legend the first time i heard it with Caleb when he was an 8th grader.  LOL.  Just kidding, but seriously...I heard he had a dislocated knee cap when he was an 8th grader at m.s. state and needed surgery, and he was limping, etc.  Are you sure it was truly a dislocated knee?  Or is it possible it was just tweaked?  Either way, 63-0, state champ says it all.

Okay josh and pioneer, I have to take offense and disagree that rankings don't mean anything at the state tournament.  While they shouldn't impact the results, when 5 finals matches involve #1 and #2, 4 involve #1 and #3, 1 involves #1 and #4, and a #2 and #3 then I think they give you a pretty good idea who the top dogs are.  Especially when you take into account the draw screws things up a bit.  That being said, I think it does mean something when you have to beat highly ranked wrestlers on the way to a championship.  It shows to some extent who is having a great tournament.  You tell me if a state champ pins his way through a bracket of low ranked kids it is the same as someone who may pin or tech his way through #6 through #2?  No way.  That's not to say that all #2 ranked kids are equal.  Obviously if you have a couple of returning state champs in a weight class it is a bigger deal to beat #2.  I have to believe Davis beating #2 Shotwell on his way to the championship earned him more than a few votes for MOW.

Ranger, picking the finals matches was not really all that tough.  It's ranking the ones below that that is more difficult.  I could have picked 3 or 4 of those finals that had #1 vs #2...maybe all 5.  It's rankings like Najee Calderon ranked 15th, places 6th, Bernard Ray ranked 2nd, DNP, and I'm sure there are more if I cared to look.  If a kid beat Calderon en route to the state finals, you'd say that was nothing...but the kid placed 6th.  That means more to me than what he was ranked prior to state.  I'd be more impressed looking at a bracket and saying "this kid had to beat the guy that placed 2nd, 3rd, & 5th."  I don't care if those guys were ranked or not.  They were the best on that given day.

Ranger, picking the finals matches was not really all that tough.  It's ranking the ones below that that is more difficult.  I could have picked 3 or 4 of those finals that had #1 vs #2...maybe all 5.  It's rankings like Najee Calderon ranked 15th, places 6th, Bernard Ray ranked 2nd, DNP, and I'm sure there are more if I cared to look.  If a kid beat Calderon en route to the state finals, you'd say that was nothing...but the kid placed 6th.  That means more to me than what he was ranked prior to state.  I'd be more impressed looking at a bracket and saying "this kid had to beat the guy that placed 2nd, 3rd, & 5th."  I don't care if those guys were ranked or not.  They were the best on that given day.

good point its the best wrestler who wins on that day

i think it should be the wrestler who was most impressive that day. that doesnt necessarily mean it has to be the one who won.

but thats just my opinion.

so are u sayin a state champ doesnt have 2 get mow

i think it should be the wrestler who was most impressive that day. that doesnt necessarily mean it has to be the one who won.

but thats just my opinion.

pwned babe...sorry...