Sign in to follow this  
snap_and_go

Is there going to be any middle school rankings this year

I know it is hard to rank middle school kids. You never know how much they will grow and how much they improve in a year. Very hard to do even for a Pro like Ranger!!!!!!!!!!

Someone could rank teams Middle School and Club teams. They could also rank Team Duals and it would get a lot of interrest and discussion. You could rank the top five in each division and then the top five in Team Duals?

last year i believe ubtappin had some out but i dont know if he is still up to it

maybe if ranger wasnt scared to take a crack it????

Sorry, I'm out, like a fat girl in dodgeball.

here is my guesses for a few weights

103                      110                        150                                        team

wade willen            wade holtslaw          kenneth brummet                    union co.

logan wedding        Raymundo perez        kyler gray                              twenhofel

caleb canter          ?                            ?                                        larue co.

I don't know much about midle school this year

89                    82                96                131                        School Team        Club Team

Lampe              Brock Ervin    Matt Fahy      Kevin Cooper            Twenhofel            Union

Clay Brown                                                                              Johnson              Fern Creek

Sean Fausz                                                                              Larue                  Conner

Spencer Hines                                                                          Anderson            Trinity

Don't know who are the top dual teams. I haven't seen many teams this year. I know Twenhofel won the LaRue T'ment and Fern Creek is undefeated in duals this year.

We will find out alot more after the Oldham super duals this weekend. Who all is going to be there?                                                                                                   

89 looks like i tough weight class this year. Are any of the 89's going to drop to 82? I am sure there are other 89lb kids that might need to be on here also.

Fern Creek will be at OC Duals.On the rankings side at 70 AJ Bindner is undefeated and unscored on(all pins).Ben Nelson is undefeated at 75.Anyone have any info on how some other light weights are doing?

The competition level at 70 lbs has been on the decline for the past couple of years. It could be time to take a look at the weight classes and do away with the 70 lb class. It looks like this year is the weakest it has ever been. If Burroughs isn't at the tournament this year AJ should have a walk through to the finals unless there is a darkhorse out there no one is talking about.

Also we need to hear from Eastern Kentucky programs to see what weights their guys are looking at going. Johnson Central was tough last year and have some state placers coming back.

70 may be down but I think that is a direct result of eliminating the lower weight classes.  We are blocking smaller kids out of middle school wrestling.  It has to start somewhere and lets face it, elementary school wrestling has not developed in this state.  I realize we are expecting over 1000 kids at Elementary State this year but you can count the elementary tournaments throughout the state on 1 hand.  Before, middle school wrestling had a 60 and 65 weight class and that had help create some of the best wrestlers currently in our state.  Below are the results of the 2004 Middle School State for 60-70:

60lbs

1st Caleb Canter LC

2nd Shane White WC

3rd Grant Palmer GRAY                     

4th Matt Fahy FCB             

5th Clay Brown SK                                       

6th Jason Asbury BOUR

65lbs

1st John Fahy FC                             

2nd Nick Paden LC                 

3rd Jayce Carr CAMP                       

4th Kenny Carter CON                       

5th TJ Ruschell GRAY                       

6th Michael Osbourve GRAYB 

70lbs

1st Brent Hitchings FC                     

2nd Elliot Martin GOLD                     

3rd Matt Walker NO                       

4th Myron Bradbury LC                     

5th Matt Watson CON                       

6th Kevin Cooper SK               

The lowest weight is almost always going to be your weakest weight class.  Look at high school 103.  Outside of Fahy, its not very impressive.  I would not be surprised if his closest match is a major decision this season.  He is set to run the table as a Freshman in 103 and look who is the 2004 State champ at 65.  We can keep pushing weight classes up, but we're just shooting Kentucky Wrestling in the foot.

The competition level at 70 lbs has been on the decline for the past couple of years. It could be time to take a look at the weight classes and do away with the 70 lb class. It looks like this year is the weakest it has ever been. If Burroughs isn't at the tournament this year AJ should have a walk through to the finals unless there is a darkhorse out there no one is talking about.

Also we need to hear from Eastern Kentucky programs to see what weights their guys are looking at going. Johnson Central was tough last year and have some state placers coming back.

I do believe have of your statement is true.70 is down this year but last it was a very good class.

70 may be down but I think that is a direct result of eliminating the lower weight classes.  We are blocking smaller kids out of middle school wrestling.  It has to start somewhere and lets face it, elementary school wrestling has not developed in this state.  I realize we are expecting over 1000 kids at Elementary State this year but you can count the elementary tournaments throughout the state on 1 hand.  Before, middle school wrestling had a 60 and 65 weight class and that had help create some of the best wrestlers currently in our state.  Below are the results of the 2004 Middle School State for 60-70:

60lbs

1st Caleb Canter LC

2nd Shane White WC

3rd Grant Palmer GRAY                     

4th Matt Fahy FCB               

5th Clay Brown SK                                       

6th Jason Asbury BOUR

65lbs

1st John Fahy FC                               

2nd Nick Paden LC                 

3rd Jayce Carr CAMP                         

4th Kenny Carter CON                       

5th TJ Ruschell GRAY                       

6th Michael Osbourve GRAYB   

70lbs

1st Brent Hitchings FC                     

2nd Elliot Martin GOLD                     

3rd Matt Walker NO                         

4th Myron Bradbury LC                     

5th Matt Watson CON                         

6th Kevin Cooper SK               

The lowest weight is almost always going to be your weakest weight class.  Look at high school 103.  Outside of Fahy, its not very impressive.  I would not be surprised if his closest match is a major decision this season.  He is set to run the table as a Freshman in 103 and look who is the 2004 State champ at 65.  We can keep pushing weight classes up, but we're just shooting Kentucky Wrestling in the foot.

The bulk of the wrestlers listed above were in 5th grade or below in 2004. That has been one of the problems, the weight class is being filled with 5th graders or below. At this years tourney if the bulk of the wrestlers are 6th graders then I say keep the weight class no matter how weak in order to promote Middle School Wrestling. But if as in the past years the weight class is filled with 5th graders or below it may be time to look at getting rid of the weight class.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think we are blocking smaller middle school kids from competing. Most of the Middle Schoolers I see are over 70 pounds.

Thanks to the efforts of many people the elementary programs are growing and do we need to base the weight classes for middle school on if elementary kids have programs to wrestle in?

Fahy is not a good example - using the logic that he is as good as he is because he was able to wrestle at the middle school level as a 5th grader would mean everyone listed would be just as good as he is and he would not be able to run the table as expected this year. His progression is due to natural talent, tons of hard work and hours on the mat and in gyms over the last 4 years.

The coaches voted on changing the weight classes this year and decided to keep it the same. I would like to see it changed and add another weight between 75 and 100.

If Burroughs isn't at the tournament this year AJ should have a walk through to the finals unless there is a darkhorse out there no one is talking about.

Why wouldn't Burroughs be at the tournament?  What grade is he?

The bulk of the wrestlers listed above were in 5th grade or below in 2004. That has been one of the problems, the weight class is being filled with 5th graders or below. At this years tourney if the bulk of the wrestlers are 6th graders then I say keep the weight class no matter how weak in order to promote Middle School Wrestling. But if as in the past years the weight class is filled with 5th graders or below it may be time to look at getting rid of the weight class.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think we are blocking smaller middle school kids from competing. Most of the Middle Schoolers I see are over 70 pounds.

Thanks to the efforts of many people the elementary programs are growing and do we need to base the weight classes for middle school on if elementary kids have programs to wrestle in?

Fahy is not a good example - using the logic that he is as good as he is because he was able to wrestle at the middle school level as a 5th grader would mean everyone listed would be just as good as he is and he would not be able to run the table as expected this year. His progression is due to natural talent, tons of hard work and hours on the mat and in gyms over the last 4 years.

yes thank you, looking at those names right now about half are high school state placers

if you cut the lower classes in middle school your going to have to cut the lower classes in high school.

no one to wrestle there like John Fahy

looking at the 103 state placers there all 8th 9th 10th grades maybe some juniors and seniors in there to but not many its to hard to keep weight down

so what if 70 isnt ever strong this year. 103 aint strong outside of Fahy so should we just get ride of it and what would you tell these kids parents; sorry they cant wrestle this year the weight class was weak so we cut it out

I believe you're missing the point. It's not a point of the strength of the weight class. It's a point that the bulk of the competitors in the weight class are in elementary versus middle school. Take a look at last years brackets. I know at least 8 of the 16 were in elementary. It could have been more since I wasn't familiar with all of the kids grade level. This is not a new thing. It has been this way for the last 3 years. I am all for if a kid is good enough at the elementary or middle school to compete at the next level then let them compete. However when a weight class is consistently filled with kids that aren't in middle school it may be time to take a look at that weight class and see if it is time to eliminate it.

I'll say it again you have to take Fahy out of this argument. He is an anomaly. Clearly at another level than the other competitors. Every once in a blue moon you get an exceptional wrestler like this.

What is the 70Lb. weight class hurting? Seems like we talk about growing the sport, then ten seconds later someone is complaning that one of the weight classes isn't strong enough. I would say that the 70lb. wrestlers and their parents, would probably disagree with you. You would also feel different if your child was a 70lb wrestler, regardless of age!!

What is the 70Lb. weight class hurting? Seems like we talk about growing the sport, then ten seconds later someone is complaning that one of the weight classes isn't strong enough. I would say that the 70lb. wrestlers and their parents, would probably disagree with you. You would also feel different if your child was a 70lb wrestler, regardless of age!!

thank you

who cares what the age

you cant cut a weight class just because the class is a little week and some younger kids are doing good in it

The top two at 70 lbs this year Burroughs and Binder are both in Middle school and both have been wrestling for over four to five years.  The have more mat experience than most. :wink:

I think Binder is in 5th grade.

It is pretty unusual to have a MS or Jr High State tournament with weight classes down to 70 lb that are filled by mostly 4th, 5th and 6th graders.  In OH the bottom weight class is 78 lbs and you are not eligible unless at least in 6th grade.  In IN the lowest MS weight class is 75 lbs.