Sign in to follow this  
ekybigman

Request for information about MS State Tournament

I have a copy of the Region 1 tournament showing a different scorer for Larue County at 185 than the scorer used at state. Not being from region 1 I would like to give someone from that region a chance to post these documents before I do. Guys if this was a mistake or even if it was done and someone thought it was ok lets step up to the plate and take care of this before it gets out of hand. The powers that be need to understand that an explanation is needed not just "....decided no change will be made." The issue should be investigated and a statement made explaining whatever decision is reached.

Deleting posts and topics on this issue will not make it go away it only strengthens the resolve of those offended.

The Kentucky State Wrestling Association needs to step up and address the issue in a public way. Sending e-mails saying the situation is a scoring issue and it has been looked at and no changes will be made is unacceptable.  This is just hiding behind some scoring rules which is weak.  This is much bigger than a scoring issue.  This questions the integrity of the middle school state championship and its governing members. 

Mr.Yenter I would like to quote Peter Parker

WOW?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is amazing.  I have never heard so much belly aching in my life.  The state tourney was held the kids wrestled and the better kids that day won. 

Just one more reason to not have a team champion.  WHO CARES!!!

Middle school wrestling is for the kids, you don't even represent your school in many cases (club teams).

I can garauntee that no coach would jeapordize thier coaching career just to win a team title.  They just are not that important. 

This crazy crying about people cheating, unfairness, and calling people liars sounds more and more like those cheerleader mothers who go out and sabatoge other cheerleaders so their daughters make the squad.

Its over deal with the win or loss and continue with your lives.  If this is the most important thing in your life then I feel sorry for those individuals.  Wrestling is a sport for our entertainment and enjoyment.  Lets try and keep it that way. 

Oh by the way:  Why do I not have an option for spell check any more?? I need it desperately. 

Why would anyone think that a team would not be able to change the wrestler designated for scoring between regional and state?  A team can enter 2 wrestlers for regions and it is possible that the wrestler that they designate for scoring does not place and the other wrestler does.  Even if that is not the case I would think they would have the ability to designate any wrestler that qualified as the scorer regardless of who the scorer was at regional.  Provided it was submitted on the state tournament roster I don't see any issue.

I also agree that this sounds like sour grapes.  Take it up at the coaches meeting.

In all my years involved in wrestling, I have never posted on a forum before. Both here in Kentucky and Wisconsin, there have been things said about me, my kids, my teams, my conference and even the division we wrestled in. To be honest, I have never responded because I feel that these forums are great entertainment, but most posting are by people who hide behind screen names and post whatever they want. Whether they have all the facts or not. With that being said, I have had enough of the postings on the middle school state tournament and feel that I need to respond.

Contrary to what has been posted on this website. The KSWA did investigate the situation and found that no KSWA rules were violated. Following NFHS rules, the KSWA did not even have to investigate this situation. As all scoring discrepancies must be challenged within 30 minutes of the conclusion of the tournament. Due to the nature of this situation, we felt that it was necassary to look at it further. I personally have spent many hours on this. Including a half day of vacation and missing one of my elementary practices. I have also spent a lot of money on long distance phone calls. These are costs and time lost with my family and team that I will not recover. After the ruling on this situation was made, the schools involved were immediately notified of the decision. I have not chosen to "hide" behind a rule or hope that this situation would just go away.

I am still fairly new to the state, so here is a little personal information. Wrestling is my passion. If there was a way that I could make a living coaching it, I would. Coming from out of state, I don't think that many people here in Kentucky realize what they have. We are always talking about ways to prevent kids from wrestling. There are many states that are currently fighting hard to allow middle school wrestlers to compete on their high school teams. Here in Kentucky we have that and are trying to discourage it by preventing kids that wrestled for a high school team from wrestling in the middle school state tournament or scheduling a middle school regional or district on the same day as an important high school date. We have even looked at preventing kids who wrestle middle school from competing in the elementary state tournament. We also have a middle school state wrestling association. I have talked to two other states about how we do it, because they would like to see the same thing in their state. Instead of embracing what we have, we are all too busy trying to give our team an advantage by excluding other wrestlers. I have two sons who are pretty good wrestlers. I regularly have them give up points in the wrestling room and during matches to kids who are not as experienced. If I point to my temple, they know what this means. Is this the best thing for my sons or their team? I don't know. But I do know that it is good for the sport of wrestling. It can mean a lot to an inexperienced wrestler to score on someone more experienced. My hope is that a little thing like this, may be enough to keep kids coming back.

Now you know a little more about me and how I feel about the sport of wrestling. I will not address the situation above again. Bash me if you like, get on board if you truly care about the sport of wrestling.

Jay Yenter

KSWA President

Jay, nor do I like to post or hide behind screen names.  I am J. C. Blanton the father of Geordon 70 lb. for Johnson County Middle School.  I feel certain you knew that.  In the past, I have had several conversations with you and fill you are a fair and honorable man who wants to promote middle school wrestling in the state.  That

WOW?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is amazing.   I have never heard so much belly aching in my life.  The state tourney was held the kids wrestled and the better kids that day won. 

Just one more reason to not have a team champion.  WHO CARES!!!

Middle school wrestling is for the kids, you don't even represent your school in many cases (club teams).

I can garauntee that no coach would jeapordize thier coaching career just to win a team title.  They just are not that important. 

This crazy crying about people cheating, unfairness, and calling people liars sounds more and more like those cheerleader mothers who go out and sabatoge other cheerleaders so their daughters make the squad.

Its over deal with the win or loss and continue with your lives.  If this is the most important thing in your life then I feel sorry for those individuals.  Wrestling is a sport for our entertainment and enjoyment.  Lets try and keep it that way. 

Oh by the way:  Why do I not have an option for spell check any more?? I need it desperately.   

I don't know what this is about, but you have a lot to learn about wrestling if you think nobody cares about team scoring and championships. It is a big part of EVERY level of wrestling.

I don't know what this is about, but you have a lot to learn about wrestling if you think nobody cares about team scoring and championships. It is a big part of EVERY level of wrestling.

You obviously have a lot to learn about me.  My opinion is that wrestling is an individual sport and the team aspect comes second.  I have said this numerous times and won't go into more detail. 

As for my background I wrestled many moons ago, coached for a short time and officiated for an even shorter time.  (only about 3 actual duals/tournament)

Great, then you should already know that team scoring is a big part of wrestling whether it is an individual sport first and there are many people that care.