Sign in to follow this  
dragons275

DERRICK LAWSON

This is Derrick's dad. We had some bad news his doctor has said his wrestling career is over. He tried to come back from a back injury. He wrestled one match a couple of weeks ago and won but for several days later he was in pain. The doctor did another x ray and said thats it or risk permanent injury. I would like to thank Coach Haire at Doss for allowing derrick plenty of time to try to heal from this injury, he is a fine person and was a straight up guy thru out this whole ordeal. I am very proud of Derrick he has battle asthma, allergies, and a shoulder injury just to be ready for his senior year. During the summer he worked has hard as anyone wrestling and power lifting. He won a lot of power lifting tournaments and was set for wrestling his senior year. But as odd as it is,  it was the injury received at the Indiana Wrestling Camp and all the weight squatting and dead lifting during the powerlifting that did the job. As in Derrick's charactor he has taken all this in and said it's time to move on. He has great grades and is up for several scholarships for academics. He would like to go to college and become a history teacher and a wrestling coach. He will be at the regions cheering on Doss ,  his friends and teammates. We would also like to wish good luck to three of his friends BeBop, Pain, and Fuqua in the regions and may the best one win. Thanks for all the fun I have had the past four years.

Sorry to hear that from your son, but great to see that he is in a position to better himself and to hopefully come back and add some more to the sport that gave to him.  Wish him well.

This is Derrick's dad. We had some bad news his doctor has said his wrestling career is over. He tried to come back from a back injury. He wrestled one match a couple of weeks ago and won but for several days later he was in pain. The doctor did another x ray and said thats it or risk permanent injury. I would like to thank Coach Haire at Doss for allowing derrick plenty of time to try to heal from this injury, he is a fine person and was a straight up guy thru out this whole ordeal. I am very proud of Derrick he has battle asthma, allergies, and a shoulder injury just to be ready for his senior year. During the summer he worked has hard as anyone wrestling and power lifting. He won a lot of power lifting tournaments and was set for wrestling his senior year. But as odd as it is,  it was the injury received at the Indiana Wrestling Camp and all the weight squatting and dead lifting during the powerlifting that did the job. As in Derrick's charactor he has taken all this in and said it's time to move on. He has great grades and is up for several scholarships for academics. He would like to go to college and become a history teacher and a wrestling coach. He will be at the regions cheering on Doss ,  his friends and teammates. We would also like to wish good luck to three of his friends BeBop, Pain, and Fuqua in the regions and may the best one win. Thanks for all the fun I have had the past four years.

As another wrestling parent, I can identify with your pain for your son. Thank goodness he has worked hard in other areas. All the best to him.

i wish him well and a great future

but not to mean this as a bad thing just thank god the injury wasnt life threating

We will miss seeing Derrick wrestle. I'm glad he has other avenues to getting a good education! I'm sure his strong work ethic will serve him well throughout life in whatever he pursues!

I hate to here the news of Derrick's injury.  It was my pleasure to get know you and Derrick over this past spring and summer, you should be very proud of the fine young man that Derrick has become.  As a wrestler, Derrick was liked and respected by everyone, he was one of those few kids that everyone in the gym cheered for.  I will miss Doss's double Derrick one two punch, putting down at 215 and heavyweight.  I'm sure that the traits that made Derrick a successful wrestler will serve him well as he turns his attentions towards higher education.    All The Best!!!