Sign in to follow this  
ihawk

State Duals - Pros and Cons

It would be in interesting to see the views from the fans, coaches and wrestlers in regards to traveling to Lexington for the State Dual meet this weekend.  It's open season on the format, location, time of year, etc.  Several States, as most know already, don't even have a State Dual Championship tournament so I :? wondered why.

I feel that it really pulls a team together.  The entire team is there, where as in February, some of the team members may not have made it out of regionals.  Every match becomes a must win when Dualing the states top teams.  Unlike the State individual tournament where it's every man for himself, State Duals call upon the collective talents of each team member 103 all the way to the big guys.  At the State Duals there is the opportunity for some of the lesser ranked kids to step up beat a guy in his weight class and become a team hero.  I believe it is the true definition of team championship. 

Time of the year is an interesting concept.  If the KHSAA would sanction this event I believe the best time for this event would be the weekend after the individual state tourney. 

Scheduling has always been a problem for this event.  If it were after the state tourney those teams invited to the tourney could participate with no scheduling conflicts. 

the best time for this event would be the weekend after the individual state tourney. 

That's what Indiana does, but I heard at Mater Dei that this year was going to be the last year for the Duals. idk

Injury risk and the grueling format are high on the list of cons but the chance for wrestlers to get some serious matches (in one day) on their college resume is a big plus in my opinion.  Maybe moving it to the beginning of the season would be a good idea to see which wrestlers are really serious after several months of R & R.

I like the idea of combining the two state tournaments into the same event.  I know at least one state (Minnesota) does this.  This gives more kids the opportunity to participate on the big stage.  Although a majority of the wrestlers that will be at state duals will also be at state this year it might not be the same way as the state as a whole improves.

Yes, it would be a risk to kids to wrestle both at the same time but then there is just as much chance for a kid to get hurt this weekend and be out for state as well.  anyway attached is how Minnesota does there schedule as an example.

Time of the year is an interesting concept.  If the KHSAA would sanction this event I believe the best time for this event would be the weekend after the individual state tourney. 

Scheduling has always been a problem for this event.  If it were after the state tourney those teams invited to the tourney could participate with no scheduling conflicts. 

Kind of like an all-star weekend? I like that idea.

the problem with having state tournament and duals back to back is that some kids will get 10 or more matches in those 4 days, plus that will make that weekend a 4day wiegh-in and im not sure there are very many kids who would be up for that

the problem with having state tournament and duals back to back is that some kids will get 10 or more matches in those 4 days, plus that will make that weekend a 4day wiegh-in and im not sure there are very many kids who would be up for that

yes i need time off, i have little aces and pains that need to rest 8-)