Sign in to follow this  
E/R King

Number of Middle School Matches

I don't think there is any limit to the number of middle school matches a kid can have to enter the elementry state tourney.  There is not even a qualifying tournament for this event.  Unless this has been added recently. 

Bylaw 10.  Any youth wrestler participating in more than 5 middle school matches in one season shall not be eligible for elementary regional and state events.  NOTE: THIS RULE DOES NOT INCLUDE 6TH GRADERS SINCE IN SOME PARTS OF THE STATE 6TH GRADERS ARE ELEMENTARY AND OTHER PARTS THEY ARE MIDDLE SCHOOL.

I found that on a post in this forum.  Are we using these bylaws? Have they been modified?

Bylaw 10.  Any youth wrestler participating in more than 5 middle school matches in one season shall not be eligible for elementary regional and state events.  NOTE: THIS RULE DOES NOT INCLUDE 6TH GRADERS SINCE IN SOME PARTS OF THE STATE 6TH GRADERS ARE ELEMENTARY AND OTHER PARTS THEY ARE MIDDLE SCHOOL.

I found that on a post in this forum.  Are we using these bylaws? Have they been modified?

I don't understand this bylaw.  Why is there a limit of middle school matches that a youth wrestler can wrestle but there is no limit to how many high school matches a middle school wrestler can wrestle?  Makes no sense.  Sounds like another case of bylaws that favor certain schools only.  Kinda like being able to repeat a grade in middle school and still be eligible. 

I don't understand this bylaw.  Why is there a limit of middle school matches that a youth wrestler can wrestle but there is no limit to how many high school matches a middle school wrestler can wrestle?  Makes no sense.  Sounds like another case of bylaws that favor certain schools only.  Kinda like being able to repeat a grade in middle school and still be eligible. 

This reflects the middle school association's view that they don't mind a MS kid competing at the HS level.  Some youth coaches (as well as some of the HS coaches that are providing guidance to the youth association) have a concern about elementary kids being pushed above their ability and burning them out or potentially getting them hurt by putting them into MS competitions.

So those schools that do not have a grade school program and only have a middle school program are not allowed to enter the elementary state tourney? 

I agree with Ubtappin here and I know PP will be hounding me again. But this is another case of the rich getting richer.

Geesh why don't they just allow kids to wrestle and stop making all these ridiculous rules. It is up to the coach and parent to regulate how much an elementary kid wrestles, not some board to force their will on someone. These are the same people who want to ban books from schools.  :evil: :roll:

I heard this rule was voted down.As it should be.

I thought it was as well, but I didn't see the final bylaws to know for sure.  I'm on the fence on this issue. :|

I agree with Ubtappin here and I know PP will be hounding me again. But this is another case of the rich getting richer.

Nope, you're wrong again GOO....I'm with you on this one.  It doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever is voted on....that's what should be followed.  If people don't like it, change the rule.

I was at the meeting when the bylaws were first voted on and that one was voted down. The bylaws have not been updated since they were first proposed. They have held another meeting which I was unable to attend and going by the minutes that are posted that was not a topic that was discussed.

NKy Rep

Nope, you're wrong again GOO....I'm with you on this one.  It doesn't make much sense to me,

OMG the armagedon must be here!  Dogs and cats living together, the world is in chaos.  :-o :-)

There is no limit to the number of middle school matches for an elementary wrestler.  We postponed this ruling for more discussion. 

Ranger 123 is absolutely correct in his reply stating there are some high school coaches that were elected as an advisory committee. 

There are going to be youth regionals this year.  They are not qualifiers for state.  It is the first year for them and we are using them simply as a way to generate more publicity for youth wrestling.