Sign in to follow this  
ubtappin

Grade Year

I'm noticing that there are many wrestlers that were listed as 8th graders in last years state brackets that are back wrestling as 8th graders again this year.  Were there that many mistakes on the grade years listed on the state brackets last year or are wrestlers (or wrestlers parents) taking advantage of the new KYSWA rule and holding them back?  WHAT GIVES????  Until I see further evidence, I suspect the latter.

Holdbacks can compete now.  I just think it is poor if they're being held back just to wrestle.  The ones that jump out at me are a last years state placer and 2 state runner ups.

Holdbacks can compete now.  I just think it is poor if they're being held back just to wrestle.  The ones that jump out at me are a last years state placer and 2 state runner ups.

When this issue was getting debated in the m.s. league, I talked to some school administrators about this.  Most of the school administrators will tell you it's bad to hold a kid back after a certain grade level, because they get bored and all kinds of stuff.  I believe they recommend 3rd grade or earlier.  On the other hand, if a kid is struggling in school to make D's, C's & B's, if he's held back and becomes a straight A student...that is a success I would say.  It's a very personal choice.  If it's based on academics, and for the right reasons, then more power to them.  But if otherwise it may end up hurting the kid and that's a shame.

An interesting argument against the school administrator (an assistant principal)....correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard school districts do not get extra money if a kid repeats a grade.  I heard something about school districts get a set amount of dollars per kid for 12 years of school.  If the kid repeats a grade, that pool of money does not get additional funding.  If that is true...then to me the school administrators have a conflict of interest there big time.  We had a kid on our team who was very, very smart....and was moved up a grade.  But he was very immature for that grade and constantly acted up, showing off for the older kids.  He probably should have been held back to kids more his maturity level.

Ultimately it's a decision the parents have to make in the best interest of their kids.  Hopefully they choose wisely.

i think that not allowing kids to wrestle because of the grade their in is ridiculous.. this knocked my son out of competing at the state level.. which i am sure he would have been in the finals.. dont do the kids this way.. an age limit is plenty.

i think that not allowing kids to wrestle because of the grade their in is ridiculous.. this knocked my son out of competing at the state level.. which i am sure he would have been in the finals.. dont do the kids this way.. an age limit is plenty.

What grade is your son in that he could of made it to the state finals.  Middleschool or highschool state.

he is a freshman this year, but last year he was not allowed to wrestle at regionals or state because he was a hold back.. but they have done away with this rule this year.  he is a 15 year old freshman.. after repeating 8th grade.