Sign in to follow this  
breaking bones

How will Larue stand in Ohio?

I really like the format of this tournament with some definite seeding criteria as well as ending up with two pools on the second day. The seeding is based on State finishers, state qualifiers, district etc... then you wrestle three matches in your pool and based the outcome of those matches determines whether you are in the A pool or the B pool for the second day. You can medal in either pool depending on your record. This is the greater Cleveland area but the tournament does not have St. Eds in it; however, I fully expect the competition to be very good and I expect some of our kids to make a good showing there. We wrestled this same tournament back in 2000 and placed two kids in the A pool (Todd Allen 2nd and Brad Walters 1st) and several in the B pool. Some of the parents back then still believe this to be the best tournament they ever attended.

I've seen some of those tourneys in Cincy.... LowSingle is right. Is this a tournament with a lot of D1 schools ? If so, this is a beast of an undertaking.

I think LaRue would definitely hold their own against most D3 schools and some D2 schools up there, but that greater Cleveland area up there has some D1 schools that are insane. I've seen some beasts in Cincinnati (i'd say the top rated guy from Cincy in every weight class would be top 3 at least in Ky) and the Cleveland area is tougher than Cincinnati. Putting this in perspective, even though Campbell Co is down this year, Harrison OH's JV team beat Campbell's varsity, although Campbell was forfeiting a few spots and took last. The very next week Campbell Co won conference beating a depleted Ryle, but will be interesting next time even factoring that in. And this was against D1 schools in a weaker region.

LaRue is a good bit better than Campbell this year, and I could see Parker and Banks maybe placing, depending on who's there. But i'd like to see them top 3, that would be really impressive !! Good luck to all of LaRue.

Coach Canter is from up around them parts and he should be able to prepare the team for what's in store for them. We are also going to go over and scrimmage his old alma mater on Saturday before we come home so that will be a nice finish to what we hope to be a great trip.

Avon Lake

Cleveland Hts.

Clyde

Kirtland

Copley

Twinsburg

Euclid

Jefferson Area

Westlake

Keystone

Fairview

Notre Dame CL

Southview (host school)

Trinity

Beaver Local

Will try to post some results for you all if we can get to a computer.

http://ohiowrestlingrankings.homestead.com/Rankings.html

Provides rankings of teams in Ohio by division, it looks as if the host school is the number 12 team in division 1 based on dual meet performances. Clyde is 6th in division 2. Could not find a Beaver Local, there is a Libson Beaver ranked 18th in division 2 and a Beaver Creeek ranked 49th in division 1. Those are the only teams in the list that were ranked in the top 20.

NO, they weren't the #1 D2 team in Ohio. The team that beat Woodford got routed BADLY by Paris Graham at state. Paris Graham was ranked 3rd nationally last year. Pemberville EAstwood was the runner up to them at Ohio D2 state, lost by almost 100 to Paris Graham, and was the ones that beat Woodford at hammer and anvil.

But give em hell anyway !!

Speaking of that tournament, did anyone notice that the guy who was the #1 seed and beat Murton at Beast of the East was the same guy who beat Rusty Parks last year really badly in the finals?

Pretty interesting...

Yeah, i was told about him. That kid was ranked like 20th last year at 125, all years combined (fresh, soph, junior, senior).

And yes, Pemberville is awesome and would have won state almost anywhere if it hadn't been for their misfortune of coming up against a nationally ranked team like that. Ohio was home to the #1 and #3 ranked teams last year (Lakewood, Paris Graham). Wow !!

Whats all the fuss about? Some of you guys act like KY schools never cross the river into OH. NKY teams like CC, SK and Ryle go to OH for tourneys nearly every weekend. Why? Because the competition is tougher. Lorain does have some pretty tough kids in that tourney. Ryle beat them badly at Carlisle. SK and Ryle is going to a tourney in Dayton on 29/30th, Graham will be there for that one. Graham will put the usual beating on everyone.

Campbell Co goes up there a lot, but it seems they usually stick to the tourneys where they'll be competitive. Its pointless to take on Paris Graham or anyone like that really, unless your team needs an attitude adjustment or you want the Cooper boys to get a match against a monster. Essentially, it seems they'll pick the tourneys to go to such that they're wrestling the equivalent of a Woodford or LaRue every weekend.

I can't speak for Ryle or SK, i don't know where all they go. I do know Campbell Co never goes outside the greater cincinnati area.

A good reason other than competition for NKY to go to Cincinnati, is its way closer than driving all the way to Lexington or Louisville and consequently cheaper and more convenient. Its not intended as a snub, its a heck of a lot closer than driving to Louisville or Lexington. We live 15-20 minutes from Cincy and over an hour from Lexington or Louisville ... so where would you go ?

Either way, region 6 (the NKY teams) has been the most powerful region over the past several years ... could over the river wrestling be the reason ? They are vulnerable to being upstaged at state this year as the region is not as powerful this year as years past.

Ryle and SK have been going to the Dayton Tourney long before Graham entered. This is their 2nd year. Ryle finished 5th overall last year behind Graham and Walton, GA (state champs) and SK was top 20. I think you have to be top 20 to be invited back. both Ryle and SK had a champ and few placers. It is very equivalent to our state tourney, 40+ teams. 2 divisions, one bracket.

Guest 2B

Didn't the tournament start today? Do we have any results? Where can I see how Larue is doing? :?:

Are the Lorain and WCI results posted online? I forgot about Brecksville tourney in Cleveland. It's probably 2nd to the Ironman for OH tourneys. Lorain probably wasn't as tough as everyone thought b/c of Brecksville. Regardless, hats of to the Larue boys.

I know that the Dayton Holiday is posted on Baumspage. KY had 2 champs Aylor and Cooper.